brentos

Mortgage for Canadian and US Citizen while working on immigration

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

My first time posting on here. Been looking at the site for a long time.

So my wife and I recently got married. I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and she is a US citizen living in the US.

So we are going to start working on our CR-1. But we have some issues that have come up before hand.

She is recently divorced. Her and her daughter are currently living in a house that is owned by her and the ex-huband. Due to us getting married to move forward, the ex has decided that he no longer wants to pay for the house. They need to sell it or we need to take over the mortgage. She does not make very much money currently (she took a lower paying job to be able to spend more time with her daughter and have a schedule that aligns with hers, she works in a school now). Even though the remainder or the mortgage in not that much, we still don't know if she can qualify on her own. So we are looking for a way for me to help out with the mortgage using my Canadian credit.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? I talked to BMO Harris bank because I do business with them here in Canada. They told me that they do help out Canadians but that in order for us to get a mortgage together I would need to be a permanent resident or have a Visa like an H1B or something similar. They told me that the other option is for me to buy the house from them as a second/vacation home. But then since it is not a refinance I would need to put 30% down, which I don't really have. I would have to get a loan to put the 30% down, then have the mortgage payment. The reason we are trying to refinance and not just take over the payment is that they got their rate when the market was not great and the payment is pretty high right now, more then we can really afford (doesn't help also that the Canadian dollar has gone down either).

I am still waiting for a call back from someone in the mortgage department from RBC in the US, but they seem to take forever to call back.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do either a mortgage together some other way or some other options which won't need that much down if anything?

Otherwise her and her ex need to sell the house and that puts her in a bad situation having to move in with family that is far from daughters school and her work.

Thank you,

Brent

USCIS

Spoiler

2015-02-02: Sent I-130

2015-02-04: USCIS Received and transferred to NSC

2015-02-06: NOA1

2015-06-19: NOA2 Email. 133 days between NOA1 and NOA2

2015-06-26: USCIS update that case was sent to NVC

NVC

Spoiler

2015-07-02: Case received by NVC

2015-07-14: Case number assigned when calling on 2015-07-20 but couldn't give emails as case was locked still

2015-07-27: Called and was able to give emails

2015-07-27: Submit DS-261

2015-07-27: Pay AOS Fee

2015-08-25: Receive IV bill

2015-08-26: Pay IV Fee

2015-09-05: Submit DS-260

2015-09-07: Sent AOS and IV package via EP

2015-10-11: Resubmit via EP after being told to do so on 2015-10-09 as it looked like our original emails were lost

2015-10-16: Received email for scan date of 2015-10-12. Told that basically nothing can be done and we need to wait 30 days from 2015-10-12 (30+ days lost because they lost our emails)

2015-10-26: Told case is basically complete but that they are building my electronic file. Told there is no timeline for this.

2015-10-30 & 2015-11-13: Still told no update. Building electronic file still and no timeline.

2015-11-17: Case Complete

2015-12-03: Receive packet 4

2015-12-15: Medical

2015-12-18: Medical picked up results

2016-01-12: Interview - Approved!

2016-02-03: POE

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

My first time posting on here. Been looking at the site for a long time.

So my wife and I recently got married. I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and she is a US citizen living in the US.

So we are going to start working on our CR-1. But we have some issues that have come up before hand.

She is recently divorced. Her and her daughter are currently living in a house that is owned by her and the ex-huband. Due to us getting married to move forward, the ex has decided that he no longer wants to pay for the house. They need to sell it or we need to take over the mortgage. She does not make very much money currently (she took a lower paying job to be able to spend more time with her daughter and have a schedule that aligns with hers, she works in a school now). Even though the remainder or the mortgage in not that much, we still don't know if she can qualify on her own. So we are looking for a way for me to help out with the mortgage using my Canadian credit.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? I talked to BMO Harris bank because I do business with them here in Canada. They told me that they do help out Canadians but that in order for us to get a mortgage together I would need to be a permanent resident or have a Visa like an H1B or something similar. They told me that the other option is for me to buy the house from them as a second/vacation home. But then since it is not a refinance I would need to put 30% down, which I don't really have. I would have to get a loan to put the 30% down, then have the mortgage payment. The reason we are trying to refinance and not just take over the payment is that they got their rate when the market was not great and the payment is pretty high right now, more then we can really afford (doesn't help also that the Canadian dollar has gone down either).

I am still waiting for a call back from someone in the mortgage department from RBC in the US, but they seem to take forever to call back.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do either a mortgage together some other way or some other options which won't need that much down if anything?

Otherwise her and her ex need to sell the house and that puts her in a bad situation having to move in with family that is far from daughters school and her work.

Thank you,

Brent

Hey Brent, you cannot transfer your Canadian credit history to the US. If you want to keep paying for the existing mortgage, just make sure her ex-husband is no longer on the deed.

A country of Immigrants, that hates new Immigrants... Maybe if education was a right and NOT a luxury, it would be different.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.