We Keep Receipts

A college president's words to young women about men

20 posts in this topic

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20141109_A_college_president_s_words_to_young_women_about_men.html#oz6CRwPq6rYScCy4.99

With an auditorium full of female students, Lincoln University president Robert R. Jennings offered the sort of fatherly advice he believes many of them need when it comes to sex and men.

"We have, we had, on this campus last semester three cases of young women who after having done whatever they did with young men and then it didn't turn out the way they wanted it to turn out, guess what they did," he began. "They went to Public Safety and said, 'He raped me.' "

His comments came back in September, at Lincoln's annual All Women's Convocation. The historically black university in Chester County holds separate convocations for women and men, an annual tradition started by the 63-year-old president to mentor each group in matters of behavior, dress, health - and sexual encounters.

He went on to warn that such allegations can ruin a young man's life: "Don't put yourself in a situation that would cause you to be trying to explain something that really needs no explanation had you not put yourself in that situation."

I hope you got your affairs in order. Because you don't have long.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Good for him to take the initiative to talk to these women about making poor choices in partners and then claiming he raped them later. Keep your legs closed is the best advice and if you can't, try batteries or choose your men more wisely.

Men should also stop playing tricks with women and be upfront with them about what they want. The old I love you, get some and then leave trick is getting old.

Good for him to take the initiative to talk to these women about making poor choices in partners and then claiming he raped them later. Keep your legs closed is the best advice and if you can't, try batteries or choose your men more wisely.

Men should also stop playing tricks with women and be upfront with them about what they want. The old I love you, get some and then leave trick is getting old.

Problem is, for women who are raped, this message is a bit jacked up. I'm all for good choices, but I don't speak on rape. Because guaranteed there were some women in that meeting that had been raped and didn't report it out of fear, or worse, reported it and nothing happened to their rapist.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Problem is, for women who are raped, this message is a bit jacked up. I'm all for good choices, but I don't speak on rape. Because guaranteed there were some women in that meeting that had been raped and didn't report it out of fear, or worse, reported it and nothing happened to their rapist.

Yes. This does happen, but his message was for the ones doing it falsely. It takes away from the seriousness of the women who are or had been truly raped.

Yes. This does happen, but his message was for the ones doing it falsely. It takes away from the seriousness of the women who are or had been truly raped.

That's a slippery slope if there ever was one. You can't separate them in those terms, you know. You're speaking to a room full of women, you have no idea who's been truly raped or is lying. Best thing to do is not speak on it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

That's a slippery slope if there ever was one. You can't separate them in those terms, you know. You're speaking to a room full of women, you have no idea who's been truly raped or is lying. Best thing to do is not speak on it.

How do you not speak on something that is an issue.

I know someone who did this. She was having a threesome when her dad came home in the middle of it. Told her dad they had broke in the house and was raping her. Of course he tried to kill the boys.

Once the police arrived and investigated, they noticed no forced entry. Then she finally came out with the truth.

I know someone who did this. She was having a threesome when her dad came home in the middle of it. Told her dad they had broke in the house and was raping her. Of course he tried to kill the boys.

Once the police arrived and investigated, they noticed no forced entry. Then she finally came out with the truth.

Not saying it's not an issue. Just saying when you're in a room full of women, you don't know who's crying wolf and whose been assaulted.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Agreed.

I knew someone who did the same thing. It's sad because it's such a serious issue and it ruins lives, even if it didn't happen. Whoever is accused is pretty much done for, unless you're rich and famous.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I think his comments would have been okay if he would have covered the otherside of the coin so to speak and not been so. I mean there is no reason to sweep the notion of false claims under the rug but making it the primary message is wrong IMO.

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

I think his comments would have been okay if he would have covered the otherside of the coin so to speak and not been so. I mean there is no reason to sweep the notion of false claims under the rug but making it the primary message is wrong IMO.

That's what context is for. By focusing on one and not bringing up the other, he made himself look worse.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20141109_A_college_president_s_words_to_young_women_about_men.html#oz6CRwPq6rYScCy4.99

With an auditorium full of female students, Lincoln University president Robert R. Jennings offered the sort of fatherly advice he believes many of them need when it comes to sex and men.

"We have, we had, on this campus last semester three cases of young women who after having done whatever they did with young men and then it didn't turn out the way they wanted it to turn out, guess what they did," he began. "They went to Public Safety and said, 'He raped me.' "

His comments came back in September, at Lincoln's annual All Women's Convocation. The historically black university in Chester County holds separate convocations for women and men, an annual tradition started by the 63-year-old president to mentor each group in matters of behavior, dress, health - and sexual encounters.

He went on to warn that such allegations can ruin a young man's life: "Don't put yourself in a situation that would cause you to be trying to explain something that really needs no explanation had you not put yourself in that situation."

Amen. It has ruined many a good men, including some duke Lacrosse players. Happened to a guy I knew in college. All the way to trial and he was found not guilty after about a 10 min deliberation

Oh do go on. About the threesome that is. 2 girls and 1 guy I hope

You know he said a lot of good things in the video about self respect and behavior that the article did not cover

You know he said a lot of good things in the video about self respect and behavior that the article did not cover

I don't have a problem with that. I just think rape should be its own island. You can't talk about respect and behavior then tie rape into it at the beginning or the end. Because no matter how you say it, all they will hear is it's your fault somehow. That's victim blaming.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Amen. It has ruined many a good men, including some duke Lacrosse players. Happened to a guy I knew in college. All the way to trial and he was found not guilty after about a 10 min deliberation

Oh do go on. About the threesome that is. 2 girls and 1 guy I hope

You are a nasty guy. It was 2 dudes and a girl. lol