Eric & Idalia

Does my husband need to go back to USA before me or can we both leave Mexico together?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

We filed the I-130 form in Monterrey Consulate on Oct 9. We stated we both live in Saltillo, Mexico and we wrote my ex-host parents (I was an au pair 2011-2013) address as the address where I will live after going to USA. On Oct 14, it was approved.

On Nov 7, 2014, In USA my host mom received a letter from the Ciudad Juarez Consulate with my husband name. I guess they made a mistake sending the letter there instead of Saltillo, Mexico where we both live.

The letter said I can schedule an appoitment in the Ciudad Juarez Consulate whenever I want.

My question is: Should my husband go back to USA and get a job there to prove he can support me?

We asked my ex-host parents to be my sponsors because we read the sponsor should live in USA. I make this question because a lady who worked in Ciudad Juarez consulate and now works with me said it would be useful for the Interview in the consulate if he is back before me. Otherwise they consul can have doubts about his ability to support me.

Have you heard about a case like ours? Did he or she go back first?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Filed: Other Country: Italy
Timeline

Someone more experienced in a Mexico specific case might have something more useful to say than me, but as far as I know: your husband CAN move back to the USA right after sending the I-130 package, and well, I personally think it's useful because you need to prove that your husband has an intention to reestablish domicile in the United States during the DCF process.

In my opinion, yes he should move back there. OR he needs to show proof that he intends to! If your ex-host parents can support you, I don't think he should move back there because of a job, to support you, because I assume your joint sponsors have enough income to support you already? I think the biggest reason to move back before you go to the interview and before the process is over is because you want to prove that he intends to go back to the USA and that is the easiest way.

As said, anyone more experienced should add something or correct me if I'm wrong.

My avatar image was a commissioned one a friend made for me - please don't use. <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.