bernie_elizabeth

Proof of income for self-employed

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I know I've asked a similar question before, or just looked for the answer meticulously, but we're preparing for the interview (hooray!) and I want to make sure I have the right paperwork.

I'm self-employed and have the following paperwork to prove income:

The I-134

My 2013 tax transcript

Statement from my bank with deposits from the past 12 months

Letter of self-employment

For the letter of self-employment I used a similar letter to the template found here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Employment_Letter

The bank statement and letter of self-employment are different numbers and both higher than the 2013 tax transcript. I'm wondering if the letter should swear to my income for the past 12 months instead of my expected income for the year 2014. Does anyone think that that would make a difference?

I know that technically the tax transcript and bank statement would be enough but since I'm self-employed I'm assuming having the letter would be helpful. I'm paranoid that since I don't make FAR above the income cutoff that the officer at the consulate will deny us. If that were to happen, would we be able to appeal with a co-sponsor?

Thanks again for all the help. I'm looking forward to being able to answer folks questions as well once we're through the interview and a bit less stressed!

London is not overly strict about their required proof. If your tax return Line 22 (Form 1040) says you are over 100% of the poverty guidelines then that should do it. I see no real reason for an employment letter from yourself or bank account history for 12 months. But take whatever you wish. They seem satisfied with one proof of income based on the interview experiences told in this forum over the last five plus years. Many are handed back superfluous documentation before the officer even sees it.

Yes they allow another sponsor and would send you off to get one if needed. When you are lacking anything at the interview, they hand back the passport and say return it (by courier) along with the needed documentation when you have what is lacking. Then they issue the visa and return to you by courier.

As far as numbers matching, they never do really. One is projected and the other is historical.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks for the reassurance. I will include the letter and bank statement if only because the bank statement confirms the savings that I note in my I-134. I'll post about how it goes, once we see what they say! Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Our interview is coming up next week and I'm feeling nervous, probably for no real reason.

My only question is still whether or not listing a number for "annual income" that is a few thousand dollars higher than my most recent tax return will be a red flag for the embassy. The letter from my bank reflects that I've made more money in the past 12 months as well. Should I just list the same number as Line 22 on my tax return just to keep things simple? Has anyone encountered one of the agents asking many questions about these sorts of differences? I can't be the only one who doesn't make a uniform annual salary.

I was thinking I could write it out in my employment verification letter, that my annual income for 2014 is X while my 2013 income, as reflected in my tax transcript, is Y.

I'm probably overthinking, but I don't want to have to wait to submit more info. If any other self-employed folks want to chime in, that would be rad!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

you are probably overthinking, but better to be prepared. I imagine if you can explain your numbers, then you will be ok.

Spoiler

K1 Journey:
2nd Jan 2014: I-129F Package Sent to USCIS (TSC)
8th Jan 2014: Check Cashed
13th Jan 2014: NOA1 (Hard Copy)
13th Jan 2014: Alien Registration Number Changed
28th Feb 2014: NOA2 (Online)
6th Mar 2014: NOA2 (Hard Copy)
11th Mar 2014: Sent to NVC
31st Mar 2014: Received at London Embassy
3rd Apr 2014: Packet 3 received
8th Apr 2014: Packet 3 sent
17th Apr 2014: Medical / 24th Apr 2014: Medical Sent to Embassy / 25th Apr 2014: Medical Logged by Embassy
30th Apr 2014: Interview Letter Received
19th May 2014: Interview (Approved)
21st May 2014: Visa Issued / 27th May 2014: Visa in Hand
16th June 2014: POE Chicago
30th Jun: Wedding!
25th Jul: AOS / EAD / AP Sent
15th Aug: Check Cashed
19th Aug: NOA1 Hard Copies Received (I-485, I-131, I-765)
29th Aug: Biometrics Letter Received 12th Sep: Biometrics Completed
20th Sep: NOA2 - EAD/AP Approved
22nd Sep: AOS moved to 'Testing and Interview'
25th Sep: EAD/AP Mailed & Tracking Number Provided (at 8.30pm)
27th Sep: EAD/AP Card Received in Mail
11th Nov: Interview Letter Received
17th Dec: Interview - APPROVED
17th Dec: Card in Production
17th Dec: Welcome Letter Mailed / 22nd Dec: Welcome Letter Received / 26th Dec: Green Card Received

16th Sep 2016: ROC Package Mailed to VSC

19 Sep: NOA 1 (Received in mail on 24 Sep)

21 Sep: Check Cashed

06 Oct: Biometrics Letter Received

18 Oct: Biometrics Appt

24 Aug 2017: I-751 Approved

28 Aug: Approval Letter Received

8 Sep: Card in Production

13 Sep: Card Mailed / 15 Sep: Card Received 

18 Sep: N-400 Sent via Mail to Dallas, TX / 20 Sep: NOA 1 / 21 Sep: Payment Cashed / 28 Sep: NOA 1 in Mail

6 Oct: Letter for Biometrics Received / 16 Oct: Biometrics Appt

Our interview is coming up next week and I'm feeling nervous, probably for no real reason.

My only question is still whether or not listing a number for "annual income" that is a few thousand dollars higher than my most recent tax return will be a red flag for the embassy. The letter from my bank reflects that I've made more money in the past 12 months as well. Should I just list the same number as Line 22 on my tax return just to keep things simple? Has anyone encountered one of the agents asking many questions about these sorts of differences? I can't be the only one who doesn't make a uniform annual salary.

I was thinking I could write it out in my employment verification letter, that my annual income for 2014 is X while my 2013 income, as reflected in my tax transcript, is Y.

I'm probably overthinking, but I don't want to have to wait to submit more info. If any other self-employed folks want to chime in, that would be rad!

You are over-thinking. It says I derive an annual income of:

So what do you make right now today? Is it the same as you made in 2013? No. So tell what your current income is. If the wanted to know your tax return, the question would say "I made ________ on my most recent tax return. "

Are you worried because your 2013 tax return wasn't enough? Or is you concern really what to fill in the blank?

Being self employed, the tax return is a positive way to prove income, but they aren't going to shoot you if you say "I made more in 2014" by stating that figure on the form. I had numbers over $100k different. They didn't ask why. They looked at the proof and never discussed the actual I-134.

So back to the question, "does your 2013 tax return qualify you?"

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.