We Keep Receipts

A dance with Daddy: Daughters, incarcerated fathers at Miami federal detention center hold dance

11 posts in this topic

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article3650887.html

Inmate Ernest Williams, serving a 41-month drug sentence, had long stopped asking his family — a wife and five children — to come see him at the Federal Detention Center Miami. The visits, he says, left him too chastened and hurt, a stark reminder of his loss of freedom.

So when a staffer told him about the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ plan to host a first-ever dance allowing inmates to spend an afternoon with their daughters, Williams said no, instead returning to the predictable routine of his kitchen detail.

Weeks later, Williams says, he had a dream while sleeping in his cell, an unclouded vision of him dancing with his three daughters. The next day, he said yes.

On Tuesday, Williams moved beyond all the emptiness and guilt, trading a khaki jumpsuit for a light gray suit, lavender print tie and black shoes — and danced with his 9-year-old twin girls and 13-year-old daughter for a few precious moments at the detention center, a high-rise administrative facility on Northeast Fourth Street. “I haven’t seen my girls in months, I could not believe how much they have grown,” said Williams, 37, convicted of intent to sell crack cocaine. “I was so happy to see them but so sad that I will not be able to leave with them. I am here instead of being outside with my family because of the choices I made.”

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Edit.

Copy and paste still not functioning properly on latest iPad update!

I hate posting on anything other than a computer. Even a smart phone gets on my nerves.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article3650887.html

Inmate Ernest Williams, serving a 41-month drug sentence, had long stopped asking his family — a wife and five children — to come see him at the Federal Detention Center Miami. The visits, he says, left him too chastened and hurt, a stark reminder of his loss of freedom.

So when a staffer told him about the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ plan to host a first-ever dance allowing inmates to spend an afternoon with their daughters, Williams said no, instead returning to the predictable routine of his kitchen detail.

Weeks later, Williams says, he had a dream while sleeping in his cell, an unclouded vision of him dancing with his three daughters. The next day, he said yes.

On Tuesday, Williams moved beyond all the emptiness and guilt, trading a khaki jumpsuit for a light gray suit, lavender print tie and black shoes — and danced with his 9-year-old twin girls and 13-year-old daughter for a few precious moments at the detention center, a high-rise administrative facility on Northeast Fourth Street. “I haven’t seen my girls in months, I could not believe how much they have grown,” said Williams, 37, convicted of intent to sell crack cocaine. “I was so happy to see them but so sad that I will not be able to leave with them. I am here instead of being outside with my family because of the choices I made.”

Our first instinct is to say, Heck no. It's prison make them suffer. However it's a fact incacaration as we use it in the US, really does not work well. Our Recidivism rates are thru the roof. We need to find a better way to rehabilitate criminals. Our goal is to make sure they don't commit crime any more. what we are doing does not work

One bone head move I never understood. Take away exercise equipment. Great Right wingers. Now they will be unfit criminals.

Our first instinct is to say, Heck no. It's prison make them suffer. However it's a fact incacaration as we use it in the US, really does not work well. Our Recidivism rates are thru the roof. We need to find a better way to rehabilitate criminals. Our goal is to make sure they don't commit crime any more. what we are doing does not work

One bone head move I never understood. Take away exercise equipment. Great Right wingers. Now they will be unfit criminals.

That's why I support this program.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to down the millions of single parents doing it for themselves, but kids deserve having both parents involved. I strongly believe that this is beneficial to both parent and child.

I am sure the right wing hater will BBQ me for that one.

Signed

The Middle of the Road

Take a man and throw him up in Pelican bay then call him an animal up in the system

What incentive is there for a man to do better. I think we should have a system that a person can earn really good things thru meeting goals. Good Behavior, education, etc etc. can earn them more than a chance at parole at due date. Maybe work release, sex vists, etc etc.

Take a man and throw him up in Pelican bay then call him an animal up in the system

What incentive is there for a man to do better. I think we should have a system that a person can earn really good things thru meeting goals. Good Behavior, education, etc etc. can earn them more than a chance at parole at due date. Maybe work release, sex vists, etc etc.

This would depend on the crime. Rapists, child molesters would be a hard sell, especially child molesters.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

This would depend on the crime. Rapists, child molesters would be a hard sell, especially child molesters.

well duh.. I mean generally speaking.

Also. You know when a man gets out. The ygive him enough money for a few meals and out on the street he goes.

well duh.. I mean generally speaking.

Also. You know when a man gets out. The ygive him enough money for a few meals and out on the street he goes.

No skills and even less money. It's no wonder they turn right back to crime without some sort of foundation.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg