jxn

Forms of proof that family member successfully completed exchange program?

5 posts in this topic

My sister-in-law, my wife's younger sister, is planning on coming to the U.S. as an au pair and to improve her English. My wife similarly came to the U.S. that way over five years ago, so we're helping her sister gather the necessary forms and whatnot. My sister-in-law is going through an au pair agency in her country and has already been matched with an American family. Next week she has a meeting with the agency and soon she will have her J-1 visa interview at the American embassy.

Because my wife was previously an au pair, apparently the agency her sister is using has asked for document(s) proving that she successfully finished the program as opposed to arriving in the U.S. and then abandoning the program halfway through. My sister-in-law asked us for scans of my wife's DS-2019 and SEVIS documents, but I reviewed them and these both seem to be documents issued in the very early stages of the process, proving that my wife came to the U.S. as an au pair but since these were issued in the beginning I'm not sure what can actually show that.

Has anyone heard of this? To clarify, my wife did complete her program and met all of its requirements and beyond—no problems at all (a certain number of hours of language classes taken, hours worked with the family, no disputes with the program or host family, and no criminal issues).

Thanks for your suggestions so we can help my sister-in-law get to know the U.S.!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Did your wife went back to her country after she finished her time on aupair visa??? I guess is also that what they want her to show...

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

Did your wife went back to her country after she finished her time on aupair visa??? I guess is also that what they want her to show...

No, because we met, fell in love, and got married. She was not subject to the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement, so she's fully satisfied the requirements of the program and as we wait for the results of our green card interview after almost a full year in the AoS process she is on track to become a legal permanent resident.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh, ok! Is just that I think she will have to: 1. State all family members in the US in the forms she have to fill for the process and 2. Her visa is a non immigrant visa, which means she will have to demonstrate she have strong ties to her home country... I'm not an expert at all and I just don't know if the sister AOS after her J1 visa would affect her in any way...

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

Hey all, I asked our lawyer and he said he couldn't think of anything other than transcripts/records indicating classes taken during the program. It sounds like there isn't anything specific she should have on this matter, so I feel comfortable with her preparation.

Also, we received notice today that our AoS interview was approved, so my sister-in-law can now say at her interview that her sister is a legal permanent resident.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.