jens_prodigy

B1 Sister Devastated . What to do?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

She has visited the US on several occasions as a child (on VWP) and also went to university in the states for two years before having to leave for financial reasons last year.

What VWP country is she from?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Most of you guys are giving the wrong info to the OP, citizens of Bahamas do not require ESTA, ESTA is mostly for European countries.To answer the OP's question, there is not much your sister can do other than reapply and submit documentation that establish stronger ties to her home country. Does she have a cell phone? Cell phone bill with address on it. Does she have credit cards? That monthly bill. Any and all utility bills. Her detailed work schedule for the weeks to come. A letter from employers. Without those there is very little chance of the visa getting granted.

I wouldn't suggest a cell bill or credit cards. Those are easily uprooted. Something that has a physical address is usually wanted (ie: cable, landline)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

it's not clear where she is coming from. i thought at first she is from bahamas coz the OP is from bahamas and she is talking about her sister. and if her sister is from bahamas, which makes her a citizen of bahamas, Bahamas is not part of the 38 countries under the US Visa Waiver Program. recent country that was added was chile. so that's why i'm totally confused why there was a mention about VWP. Ms OP what country is your sister a national or citizen of? please clarify. so people in this forum will be able to give you the right information and lead you to the right direction. thanks.

The Bahamas

it's not clear where she is coming from. i thought at first she is from bahamas coz the OP is from bahamas and she is talking about her sister. and if her sister is from bahamas, which makes her a citizen of bahamas, Bahamas is not part of the 38 countries under the US Visa Waiver Program. recent country that was added was chile. so that's why i'm totally confused why there was a mention about VWP. Ms OP what country is your sister a national or citizen of? please clarify. so people in this forum will be able to give you the right information and lead you to the right direction. thanks.

Sorry I didn't clarify. Yes she is from the Bahamas. And you're mistaken , we are part of the VWP, have been all my life. We do not require visas to travel to the U.S., just a police record and valid passport.

I'm the Beneficiarydancin5hr.gif

Sept 7th, 2013 = K1 Visa Application Submitted

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Sept 27th 2013= Received NOA1 hard copy

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

March 15th 2014 = ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER CHANGED! FINALLY! dancin5hr.gif

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

June 10th 2014 = PETITION APPROVED!!! Hallelujah! :dance:

August 8th 2014 = Medical. Results: Passed

September 23rd 2014= INTERVIEW: APPROVED! so happy!!!!!!!

September 25-28th 2014 = System Error prevents VISA from being issued. :cry:

September 29th 2014= VISA in hand :dancing:

September30th 2014= Entered the USA :thumbs:
December 22nd 2014=MARRIED :)

March 18th 2015 = Filed AOS

April 3rd 2015 = Received NOA1 hard copies

June 20th 2015 = Received EAD/AP card in mail :)

July 28th 2015 = Received Notice of Potential Interview waiver :mellow:

Feb 29th 2016= FINALLY! RECEIVED MY GREENCARD! :dancing:

January 26th, 2018: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions 

Feb 2nd 2018: Received NOA1

Burnt too often?

Presume the visa in question is a B2. B2 has some advantages over the VWP including being able to stay for 6 months instead of 90 days.

So the question was why is 90 days not long enough for her stated purpose.

ESTA pre clearance is required to use the VWP. One of the questions asked is have you ever been refused a visa.

For the Bahamas our vwp allows us to stay for 6mths at a time. We don't require this ESTA thing so Im really confused as to what everyone is talking about. What is ESTA? We do not have or need this. Just a copy of police record and a passport gets us 6mths in the U.S. all she wanted was two days.

Most of you guys are giving the wrong info to the OP, citizens of Bahamas do not require ESTA, ESTA is mostly for European countries.To answer the OP's question, there is not much your sister can do other than reapply and submit documentation that establish stronger ties to her home country. Does she have a cell phone? Cell phone bill with address on it. Does she have credit cards? That monthly bill. Any and all utility bills. Her detailed work schedule for the weeks to come. A letter from employers. Without those there is very little chance of the visa getting granted.

Thank you!! I was so confused by the ESTA stuff. You totally cleared it up.

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

i'm confused. i just checked on the countries qualified for the US VWP and the Bahamas is not included. my question then, is she a national of another country qualified to enter the US under VWP?

I'm confused too. I always thought that's what we were under VWP but maybe not. All I know is that as Bahamians all we need to enter the US is a clean police record and a valid passport and that grants us six months. We don't need anything else, no ESTA, nothing. I thought that's what VWP meant. But, some people still apply for tourist visas because theyre good for ten years, no need to keep applying for new police records every time you want to travel. Also, with the tourist visa you can travel from almost any island of the Bahamas directly to the US without having to fly into the capital to clear immigration, you'd clear immigration in the US. So that was another reason my sister wanted to get get visa too, it's great for frequent travel and convenient for her because we live on an outlying island and not the capital so she can just fly directly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Bahamas is not a VWP country.

Nor is Canada. Both have specific arrangements.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The Bahamas

Sorry I didn't clarify. Yes she is from the Bahamas. And you're mistaken , we are part of the VWP, have been all my life. We do not require visas to travel to the U.S., just a police record and valid passport.

No, the Bahamas aren't part of the VWP.

There are special requirements for Bahamian citizens that your sister may want to look at.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1250/~/bahamian-citizen-document-requirements

"Based on a bilateral agreement, many Bahamians are exempt from U.S. visa requirements in certain circumstances. (It is important to note that this visa exemption is different from the U.S. Visa Waiver Program.) Bahamian citizens who meet the requirements listed below may apply for admission to the United States without a visa at one of the US Customs and Border Protection Pre-clearance Facilities located in Nassau or Freeport International Airports."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually thats misleading. The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is for any visitor traveling to the US from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country. This would include Japan, South Korea, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Brunei, Taiwan and now Chile.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/kw/ESTA/sno/1

Not misleading at all as I included the word "MOSTLY". Go check out the list of European countries it is way more than the few that you cited.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.