jens_prodigy

B1 Sister Devastated . What to do?

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys, quick question involving my sister's tourist visa. My sister who is 21..about to be 22.. recently applied for a B1 tourist visa at the US consulate in Nassau, Bahamas. She wanted to travel to the US to see my brother (who is her twin)'s college football game. However the visa was denied on the basis that she did not have strong enough ties to the country. As stated above, she is only 21, doesn't owe a car or home or even an apartment yet,she lives with my mom. She has no bills in her name but she's currently working two part time jobs which she listed on her visa application. She has visited the US on several occasions as a child (on VWP) and also went to university in the states for two years before having to leave for financial reasons last year. Technically, her student visa is still valid but obviously, since she is no longer a student, she cannot use it. This is one of the main reasons she wanted to try for a tourist visa so that when she got to the border, suspicions would not raise and it seem like she was trying to reenter on her student visa or something like that.

But, anyway, the visa was denied and she was devastated. She missed the game which was disappointing as it's her twin brother and she's never seen him play in person before. But, more devastating then missing the game, she now feels what I think everyone feels when they are denied a visa or denied entry...you feel almost like a criminal or that you've done something terribly wrong and there's a huge fear of ever trying again.

Well, here's my question... I am here in the US now on my K1 visa and my partner and I are getting married in December. I REALLLLY want my sister to come to my wedding...what are her best options? Should she try for a tourist visa again but this time maybe take in letters from both jobs or something?And maybe even a reference from someone stating that she's a responsible young lady who is definitely planning on returning home after the visit? ORRR should she take her chances on traveling by VWP? Could this past denial affect her chances of approval for either of these options? Also would applying again so soon (it would be about a month in between) affect her?

Thanks for any advice...

I'm the Beneficiarydancin5hr.gif

Sept 7th, 2013 = K1 Visa Application Submitted

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Sept 27th 2013= Received NOA1 hard copy

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

March 15th 2014 = ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER CHANGED! FINALLY! dancin5hr.gif

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

June 10th 2014 = PETITION APPROVED!!! Hallelujah! :dance:

August 8th 2014 = Medical. Results: Passed

September 23rd 2014= INTERVIEW: APPROVED! so happy!!!!!!!

September 25-28th 2014 = System Error prevents VISA from being issued. :cry:

September 29th 2014= VISA in hand :dancing:

September30th 2014= Entered the USA :thumbs:
December 22nd 2014=MARRIED :)

March 18th 2015 = Filed AOS

April 3rd 2015 = Received NOA1 hard copies

June 20th 2015 = Received EAD/AP card in mail :)

July 28th 2015 = Received Notice of Potential Interview waiver :mellow:

Feb 29th 2016= FINALLY! RECEIVED MY GREENCARD! :dancing:

January 26th, 2018: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions 

Feb 2nd 2018: Received NOA1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys, quick question involving my sister's tourist visa. My sister who is 21..about to be 22.. recently applied for a B1 tourist visa at the US consulate in Nassau, Bahamas. She wanted to travel to the US to see my brother (who is her twin)'s college football game. However the visa was denied on the basis that she did not have strong enough ties to the country. As stated above, she is only 21, doesn't owe a car or home or even an apartment yet,she lives with my mom. She has no bills in her name but she's currently working two part time jobs which she listed on her visa application. She has visited the US on several occasions as a child (on VWP) and also went to university in the states for two years before having to leave for financial reasons last year. Technically, her student visa is still valid but obviously, since she is no longer a student, she cannot use it. This is one of the main reasons she wanted to try for a tourist visa so that when she got to the border, suspicions would not raise and it seem like she was trying to reenter on her student visa or something like that.

But, anyway, the visa was denied and she was devastated. She missed the game which was disappointing as it's her twin brother and she's never seen him play in person before. But, more devastating then missing the game, she now feels what I think everyone feels when they are denied a visa or denied entry...you feel almost like a criminal or that you've done something terribly wrong and there's a huge fear of ever trying again.

Well, here's my question... I am here in the US now on my K1 visa and my partner and I are getting married in December. I REALLLLY want my sister to come to my wedding...what are her best options? Should she try for a tourist visa again but this time maybe take in letters from both jobs or something?And maybe even a reference from someone stating that she's a responsible young lady who is definitely planning on returning home after the visit? ORRR should she take her chances on traveling by VWP? Could this past denial affect her chances of approval for either of these options? Also would applying again so soon (it would be about a month in between) affect her?

Thanks for any advice...

A reference likely wouldn't make a difference. She can try bringing letters from her employers with specific dates. However a recent denial won't make it easy. It seems like she has more ties to the United States than her home so a denial unfortunately was the right choice.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not an expert on the subject but for what i read before, your sister have to update her ESTA after the tourist visa denial and I'm not sure if it change anything her chances to visit....

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

What's an ESTA?

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

Why did she attempted to get a visa rather than just travel on VWP ? Now her ESTA has high chance of being denied and she really has no other options...

Not sure what ESTA is but I stated above the reason she tried for a B1. Since she had an unexpired student visa in her passport she thought her chances were better if she went through the actual application process for a tourist visa including an interview where they can look her in the eye, ask her questions and see that she is planning to return to the country rather than just traveling on vwp. Guess that was the wrong choice

Thanks for your reply but I don't understand why you'd say she has more ties to the U.S. like I stated she no longer goes to

School here and the only immediate family members here are 1) our brother who is a COLLEGE student living in a dorm and therefore couldn't support someone who was planning to perhaps overstay. 2) myself, her sister, who just got here on my K1. At the time she applied I think I wasn't even here yet so I dont think she even listed me on the application . So what ties does she have? At home, she has two jobs, she lives with my mom, teaches a Sunday school class, has a serious boyfriend, numerous other family and friends...

A reference likely wouldn't make a difference. She can try bringing letters from her employers with specific dates. However a recent denial won't make it easy. It seems like she has more ties to the United States than her home so a denial unfortunately was the right choice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

What didn't she use the VWP? she had to apply for ESTA before traveling under the VWP.

I would have been easier.

Edit: now the question is can she still use the VWP with a denied tourist visa?

Edited by MIDUVIL

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for your reply but I don't understand why you'd say she has more ties to the U.S. like I stated she no longer goes to

School here and the only immediate family members here are 1) our brother who is a COLLEGE student living in a dorm and therefore couldn't support someone who was planning to perhaps overstay. 2) myself, her sister, who just got here on my K1. At the time she applied I think I wasn't even here yet so I dont think she even listed me on the application . So what ties does she have? At home, she has two jobs, she lives with my mom, teaches a Sunday school class, has a serious boyfriend, numerous other family and friends...

My answer was due to the fact that she has immediate family in the USA and has attended school here. To USCIS sadly many are looked at as intended immigrants until proving otherwise.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My answer was due to the fact that she has immediate family in the USA and has attended school here. To USCIS sadly many are looked at as intended immigrants until proving otherwise.

Burnt too often?

Presume the visa in question is a B2. B2 has some advantages over the VWP including being able to stay for 6 months instead of 90 days.

So the question was why is 90 days not long enough for her stated purpose.

ESTA pre clearance is required to use the VWP. One of the questions asked is have you ever been refused a visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i'm confused. i just checked on the countries qualified for the US VWP and the Bahamas is not included. my question then, is she a national of another country qualified to enter the US under VWP?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I had my f1 visa denied, twice. I came back from my time as an au pair and then wanted to go back 2 months later for school. Even tho the second time I came in with more evidence and some totally diffrent papers I was denied. You need to really show them something new and good of your intensions. I never planned on doing anything else than what was in my papers but since I recently got back they just thought my ties to the states was stronger and therefore they wouldn't believe me.

I havnt tried use the VWP and I'm trying to wait as long as possible before applying for it, most likely will be denied (they say give it at least 6months)

I am now in the process of a k1 and I'm really scared that my f1 denials will affect my k1 visa.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for any advice...

Most of you guys are giving the wrong info to the OP, citizens of Bahamas do not require ESTA, ESTA is mostly for European countries.To answer the OP's question, there is not much your sister can do other than reapply and submit documentation that establish stronger ties to her home country. Does she have a cell phone? Cell phone bill with address on it. Does she have credit cards? That monthly bill. Any and all utility bills. Her detailed work schedule for the weeks to come. A letter from employers. Without those there is very little chance of the visa getting granted.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Most of you guys are giving the wrong info to the OP, citizens of Bahamas do not require ESTA, ESTA is mostly for European countries.To answer the OP's question, there is not much your sister can do other than reapply and submit documentation that establish stronger ties to her home country. Does she have a cell phone? Cell phone bill with address on it. Does she have credit cards? That monthly bill. Any and all utility bills. Her detailed work schedule for the weeks to come. A letter from employers. Without those there is very little chance of the visa getting granted.

Actually thats misleading. The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is for any visitor traveling to the US from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country. This would include Japan, South Korea, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Brunei, Taiwan and now Chile.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/kw/ESTA/sno/1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.