Trumplestiltskin

Baker in 'gay marriage' cake row

103 posts in this topic

How about Muslim staff working in stores, refuse to serve customers who want to pay for alcohol or pork?

Perhaps they should go work elsewhere too, maybe in Halal establishments.

Um, you do realize most Muslims won't work places that serve pork or alcohol? Even the most moderate ones, alcohol you might slide by, but pork? They won't go near it. The stores here in my state that have Muslim staff don't sell either one.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I would think most people wouldn't choose occupations that bring them into conflict with their personal beliefs.

While managing at a McDonalds in Toronto I had several employees that were Muslim as well as several Hindu. Many were stuck at the drive theu window where they didn't have to handle the meat. When you need a job, you need a job.

I would think most people wouldn't choose occupations that bring them into conflict with their personal beliefs.

This is why most Muslims won't work anywhere that sells pork or alcohol. My experiences have been clothes, mini marts, school, and other places that don't deal with food or beverages.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Um, you do realize most Muslims won't work places that serve pork or alcohol? Even the most moderate ones, alcohol you might slide by, but pork? They won't go near it. The stores here in my state that have Muslim staff don't sell either one.

Not in Singapore. I have seen Muslims staff working in supermarkets, some as cashiers too.

They can't possibly choose which customers they want to serve at check out lines.

Here is the picture evidence:

fairprice.jpg

But I do read that they could wear plastic gloves to handle the pork to avoid contact (but the pork are packaged anyway).

Of course, customers should be mindful to pick a cashier which is non-muslim if they are buying alcohol or pork.

But I think most of the time, customers will pick the shortest queue instead.

Here is the case in UK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528388/Not-just-u-turn-M-amp-S-u-turn-Now-chain-apologises-Muslim-check-girl-refused-sell-alcohol-customer.html

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

The problem is with that is that personal beliefs have nothing to do with buying a cake and the gay customer has no reason to suppose that they will be treated differently from the bakery's other customers.

I don't think they have a right to single people out for different treatment because they happen to be gay. That's just not right.

But they didn't refuse them service because they were gay, they refused to perform a certain service for them due to their religious beliefs towards homosexuality. Muslims have been mentioned in this thread so I'll stick with that for another example. What if someone walked into a bakery owned by Muslims and asked for a cake made with pork, do the Muslim bakery owners have the right to refuse to perform that service? I think they do, but they do not have the right to refuse to make a cake that they do offer based on the customers religious beliefs.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

How does one determine who is a "non-Muslim"? Their choice of clothing? Reading the Koran while performing their duties? Wouldn't that be stigmatizing a particular group of people?

Not in Singapore. I have seen Muslims staff working in supermarkets, some as cashiers too.

They can't possibly choose which customers they want to serve at check out lines.

fairprice.jpg

But I do read that they could wear plastic gloves to handle the pork to avoid contact (but the pork are packaged anyway).

Of course, customers should be mindful to pick a cashier which is non-muslim if they are buying alcohol or pork.

Here is the case in UK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528388/Not-just-u-turn-M-amp-S-u-turn-Now-chain-apologises-Muslim-check-girl-refused-sell-alcohol-customer.html

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Isn't that how Marmite is made?

But they didn't refuse them service because they were gay, they refused to perform a certain service for them due to their religious beliefs towards homosexuality. Muslims have been mentioned in this thread so I'll stick with that for another example. What if someone walked into a bakery owned by Muslims and asked for a cake made with pork, do the Muslim bakery owners have the right to refuse to perform that service? I think they do, but they do not have the right to refuse to make a cake that they do offer based on the customers religious beliefs.

In NI probably yes.

Should a Jewish owned bakery be allowed to not bake a cake to the person espousing their point of view? Swastikas didn't always have the well-known connotation attached to it.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

How does one determine who is a "non-Muslim"? Their choice of clothing? Reading the Koran while performing their duties? Wouldn't that be stigmatizing a particular group of people?

One could usually guess who is Muslim by their name, and women wearing headscarf / hijab are pretty obvious clue.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

fairprice.jpg

Here is the case in UK:

Like I said, you do have some more moderate ones out there that might not have such an issue with it. If my wife and I followed the rules to the letter, we couldn't ever eat out here since 99% of the establishments serve pork one way or the other.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

One asks them. Muslims will be more than happy to bear witness to their faith.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org