plucesiar

Me: H1B, GF: Chinese outside of US.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
I'm currently on H1-B and will soon be asking my current employer to sponsor me for a green card. I'm currently not living with my gf. She currently works outside of the States, and she was born in China but holds Canadian citizenship.

I was wondering if there are alternative paths to the green card application for me + Form I-130 after the gc approval (and marriage obviously). I'll be applying for the green card as Rest of World and EB2, so I'm guessing it'll take around 2-3 years, and plus another 2-3 years for Form I-130 means that we won't be able to live together in the States for 4-6 years!

The others I can think of are:

• Get married now, have her come on H4 dependent, while my gc application starts. After approval, file for I-130 and I-485 adjustment of status. However, is it possible for her to adjust her H4 to H1-B before gc approval so that she can work?
  • Have her come on F-1 student visa, followed by EAD to work. My gc application will start during her F-1. If green card hasn't been approved and she hasn't managed to get H1-B sponsorship, get married and change her to H4 so that she could stay. Then, after gc approval, file for I-130 and I-485 adjustment of status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

H4 would get her a GC the same time as you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

That is based on you not her.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I am sure Lawyers charge more for adding spouse and children on, but logically should be relatively minor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.