preciousday73

Where to Notarize/Translate in Dominican Republic? [split topic]

6 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, My finance has been in AP for over a year. Finally yesterday he received a letter of denial worksheet. They ask for a detailed criminal history written by him, a police record. These documents have to be notarized and sworn. I know where to notarize . Where does he take documents to have them sworn in DR. They also have to translated to English. Anyone know a place where this is done in La Vega DR. Anyone here ever done this? If you did, was a visa issued after remitting documents> I will appreciate any helpful information.................thanks in advance.

Good afternoon, My finance has been in AP for over a year. Finally yesterday he received a letter of denial worksheet. They ask for a detailed criminal history written by him, a police record. These documents have to be notarized and sworn. I know where to notarize . Where does he take documents to have them sworn in DR. They also have to translated to English. Anyone know a place where this is done in La Vega DR. Anyone here ever done this? If you did, was a visa issued after remitting documents> I will appreciate any helpful information.................thanks in advance.

Did your fiancé present a police certificate (papel de buena conducta) ? Were there criminal records on there? He is supposed to get the disposition of any arrests or charges ever filed against him and then submit them how it says on the denial letter.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Did your fiancé present a police certificate (papel de buena conducta) ? Were there criminal records on there? He is supposed to get the disposition of any arrests or charges ever filed against him and then submit them how it says on the denial letter.

Yes, he did present a papel de buena conducta back in Nov. 2013. Now they are asking for another one because those documents expire. My worry is that back when he was 17 he was arrested and charged with being unruly with an officer This happened 21 years ago.. Plus there is no record of this arrest, he searched and nothing so he could not present proof of arrest. His police certicficate says clean slate. I am gathering RD is not very good at keeping records!!! But they are asking for criminal history!! So I am wondering if a police certificate will be eoungh. This process is nerve wrecking!!!

Yes, the thing is that in DR the police cert needs to be as recent as possible, I think no more than 30 days, but I don't take chances and get it a few days before the interview. They give it to you right away. So get a new police cert a few days before you will submit the docs to the embassy, so that it can be as recent as possible.

As for his previous arrest, I doubt he would get denied for that one incident he had; he was a minor, and it looks like he wasn't convicted or anything otherwise it would show up on the police cert. Did he serve time for that, or was it one of those situations where you spend a night in jail?

If there is no record, he has to obtain a document or letter stating that there is no record of his arrest, plus whatever the embassy is asking you for. Make sure to get multiple copies of this as he will need these again for ROC and if applies for citizenship.

And you're right, DR is terrible at keeping records, especially from the pre digital era. Things only started getting more organized after computers were introduced to the government, which according to my mom was sometime in the mid to late 90's. Before that everything was hand written, even the passports. The civil docs and such were with a typewriter. When they made the switch over to digital, a lot of people's docs were either lost or incorrectly transcribed. I was one of them because my father's name is incorrect in my records even though it wasn't before.

Anyway, that is the best that I can tell you. Just follow the instructions very carefully so that you get them what they need. Good luck

Yes, he did present a papel de buena conducta back in Nov. 2013. Now they are asking for another one because those documents expire. My worry is that back when he was 17 he was arrested and charged with being unruly with an officer This happened 21 years ago.. Plus there is no record of this arrest, he searched and nothing so he could not present proof of arrest. His police certicficate says clean slate. I am gathering RD is not very good at keeping records!!! But they are asking for criminal history!! So I am wondering if a police certificate will be eoungh. This process is nerve wrecking!!!

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The hijacking original post above, with its replies, has been split from a thread in the K-1 Process forum and moved here to the Caribbean regional forum.

Do NOT hijack other members' threads.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You say that your fiance received a denial letter, was him denied?

Or are they asking for his records?

In my case i am in ap for 7 months.

when my case had 5 months in ap they said that my fiance the american citizen had criminals records, he sent his records wich are clear.

Then when they received his records, they sent me e-mails asking for all and every one of my arrest records.

The thing it is that never i have been arrest.

I e-mail them everyday to tell them that i havent been in a police staticion never, and i got the same stupid answer : that they are waiting all my arrest records.

So last friday october 31, i sent a new buena conducta paper to see what they are going to do.

I explain them that i cant find court or arrest records because never i have been in trouble.

At the procuraduria told me that i dont have any records there.

On friday i got an e-mail from them saying that on their records i have tow arrest.

You can belive that?

After 7 months in,ap and they be laying about my status now they say that i have tow arrest on their records.

At the consulate they are working irresponsible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.