kisshappy

Staying in the Philippines with a US green card..

4 posts in this topic

Wondering how does the counting of month work as to staying in the Philippines with a us green card. I know I should not exceed 6 months and must return back to the US.. I went to the Philippines January till March 2014 then went back to the US. September I came back to PI because my grandma passed and my mom needs to undergo an operation. Does anybody know how many more months may I be able to stay in Manila? In one years time do they count the total months you were away or is it per trip ?...thanks in advance for the help..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

as green card holder, you can stay outside the US up to six months, but i suggest only 5 months, without disrupting your continuous residence requirement to apply for citizenship. if you stay beyond six months but less than one year, you can still come back to the US using the same green card but you have to start anew your continuous residence requirement for citizenship purposes. if you have to stay outside the US for more than one year but less tan two years, then you need re-entry permit to come back to the us and not just use the same green card to request entry into the US. now in answer to your question, every trip is counted individually as long as every trip does not last more than six months then your continuous residence requirement is safe. if for example you go home jan 1- march 31 2014, that's 3 months. then you decide to go home again july 1 - december 30 of the same year, thats still ok. but just be careful of going in and out of the US quite often coz they (customs and immigration officials) might question your intentions of establishing residency in the US. remember the only persons guaranteed entry into the US are US citizens. the rest are subject to admissibility requirements including green card holders.

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.