Mr. Big Dog

Ebola threatens chocolate

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

If there was a shortage of corn syrup America would be ######. Chocolate not so much

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think millions and millions of folks the world over would disagree with you.

Probably, but then there are millions of people who eat McDonalds and KFC. What's your point? I'm not forcing you to agree. Do you work for the chocolate vomit maker or something?

BTW its not only me that thinks this about Hershey's. Do a google search on 'hersheys tastes like sick'. See how many hits you get ;-)

Edited by Hail Ming!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There's even a reason for the taste. Don't say I don't give you anything. From wikipedia:

The Hershey Process milk chocolate used in these bars is cheaper to make than other types of chocolate as it is less sensitive to the freshness of the milk. The process was developed by Milton Hershey and was the first mass-produced chocolate in the United States. As a result, the Hershey flavor is widely recognized in the United States and Canada, but less so internationally, in particular in areas where European chocolates are more widely available. The process is a trade secret, but experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the US public has become accustomed, to the point that other manufacturers often add butyric acid to their milk chocolates.[1] The American bar's taste profile was not as popular with the Canadian public, leading Hershey to introduce a reformulated Canadian bar in 1983.[2] The company describes the revised Canadian formulation as a "creamier, smoother, lighter coloured and milder flavoured product more suitable to Canadian taste".

So the process is cheaper because they add a lot of preservatives... Like how mass produced bread in the US tastes sweet.

A "sour, tangy taste"... Vomit.