Not a Tailor

5 diseases scarier than ebola (and greater threats to US safety)

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

lacking any affirmative answers it seems that everyone has enough sense to prefer exposure to rabies.

Assuming of course that everyone is 100% clued up on the diseases in question to know which is survivable or least likely to end in death. Rather than say, making a decision because ebola is all over the news.

It's a ridiculous exercise.

How about HIV? Would you prefer that or cancer? There was a survey done a few years ago where people opted for cancer over HIV, purely because of the stigma attached to having the disease, rather than something like lung or pancreatic cancer which is almost guaranteed to kill you.

Edited by Hail Ming!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

a couple months ago my boss brought in a box of kittens and the runt, her eyes were practically jumping out of her head she was so hungry. i thought she would die if i didn't nurse her back to health so i took her home. after we'd been home for a couple hours, she stopped moving. she was awake and eating like normal but she couldn't move her limbs or body. i had to carry her everywhere. saturday morning i took her to the vet because i'd never seen a cat go from mobile to paralyzed in a matter of hours before. the vet gave me a paper bag full of rubber gloves and told me to call him as soon as she died so we could put her on ice, she probably had rabies.now i have a dog and three other cats - all potentially exposed to rabies. vet's office didn't seem concerned. he did mention that my son, husband and i would need shots if the kitten died.

so anyway i didn't really take the vet seriously, i didn't think the kitten had rabies (i didn't see how she could have contracted it) and it turned out she didn't. she recovered in a few days and is a completely normal kitten now. but i'm looking back thinking, the vet just let me turn around and walk out with a kitten that could have had rabies? if a human is exposed to rabies, the shots are to keep rabies from getting full blown or what - if it's 100% fatal?

everyone wants to be a cool kid.

Treatment for people bitten by animals with rabies

If you've been bitten by an animal that is known to have rabies, you'll receive a series of shots to prevent the rabies virus from infecting you. If the animal that bit you can't be found, it may be safest to assume that the animal has rabies. But this will depend on several factors, such as the type of animal and the situation in which the bite occurred.

Rabies shots include:

• A fast-acting shot (rabies immune globulin) to prevent the virus from infecting you. Part of this injection is given near the area where the animal bit you if possible, as soon as possible after the bite.
  • A series of rabies vaccines to help your body learn to identify and fight the rabies virus. Rabies vaccines are given as injections in your arm. You receive four injections over 14 days.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rabies/basics/treatment/con-20019900

Assuming of course that everyone is 100% clued up on the diseases in question to know which is survivable or least likely to end in death. Rather than say, making a decision because ebola is all over the news.

It's a ridiculous exercise.

How about HIV? Would you prefer that or cancer? There was a survey done a few years ago where people opted for cancer over HIV, purely because of the stigma attached to having the disease, rather than something like lung or pancreatic cancer which is almost guaranteed to kill you.

I'll take cancer. had it before, had it removed, it's gone.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In adult group I'd bet consensus would be one to prefer neither.

How's your age group faring?

Indeed. Noone would prefer to be infected with a deadly disease.

Ebola is only a concern because it's in the news - rabies isn't. That doesn't mean that there is a 'good' option, since both will kill you. All it means is there's an assumption being made that someone might perceive one of the two to be a 'better' option. Quite what the point of that is, is unclear.

Treatment for people bitten by animals with rabies

If you've been bitten by an animal that is known to have rabies, you'll receive a series of shots to prevent the rabies virus from infecting you. If the animal that bit you can't be found, it may be safest to assume that the animal has rabies. But this will depend on several factors, such as the type of animal and the situation in which the bite occurred.

Rabies shots include:

• A fast-acting shot (rabies immune globulin) to prevent the virus from infecting you. Part of this injection is given near the area where the animal bit you if possible, as soon as possible after the bite.
  • A series of rabies vaccines to help your body learn to identify and fight the rabies virus. Rabies vaccines are given as injections in your arm. You receive four injections over 14 days.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rabies/basics/treatment/con-20019900

and if a person is exposed to rabies, we don't haul them out back and put them out of their misery.

Edited by val erie

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The entire premise reminds me of car games my kids used to play... Good entertainment if you are preteen...

Indeed. Noone would prefer to be infected with a deadly disease.

Ebola is only a concern because it's in the news - rabies isn't. That doesn't mean that there is a 'good' option, since both will kill you. All it means is there's an assumption being made that someone might perceive one of the two to be a 'better' option. Quite what the point of that is, is unclear.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't think anyone posting here genuinely believes there is a good chance that Ebola will spread into the US and infect people to the levels of an epidemic, or even more than one or two isolated cases. I really do not believe that anyone is therefore scared of catching it. What I do believe is that there is an enthusiasm for using this potential threat as a lever to bash either Obama or Democrats. That is extremely cynical and disingenuous but we all already know that, don't we?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Which leads to the introduction of the 6th disease, scarier than Ebola: Self inflicted ignorance. It kills as much, if not more than Ebola.

I don't think anyone posting here genuinely believes there is a good chance that Ebola will spread into the US and infect people to the levels of an epidemic, or even more than one or two isolated cases. I really do not believe that anyone is therefore scared of catching it. What I do believe is that there is an enthusiasm for using this potential threat as a lever to bash either Obama or Democrats. That is extremely cynical and disingenuous but we all already know that, don't we?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Well, rabies has been around a bit more than ebola, therefore it's not so glamorous as to make headlines. But it's reported quite regularly. But don't take MY word for it, trust Google instead.

Rabies is a 100% preventable disease. Infection causes tens of thousands of deaths every year despite the fact that we have all of the tools to manage the disease. Children are the most effected , with four out of every ten deaths by rabies being a child under the age of 15.

Face it... get diagnosed with rabies, take the PEP, and you'll most likely live. Get diagnosed with ebola, take in plenty of fluids and pain meds, and you'll most likely become a statistic. The key is early diagnosis, which is often overlooked with rabies because it is much more common than ebola, also much more widespread (pretty much EVERYWHERE except Antarctica).

Edited by DavenRoxy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So what are you saying? It's not 0'bola's fault?

Never said it was. As usual, you are the one dragging President Floppy Ears into this.

Impossible. We all know everything is 0'bola's fault... Since 1492...

See above.

Just say it though..... "0bola" It really just rolls off the tongue you know?

Just a deflection from the real issue (this terrible disease), and a feeble attempt to attack the right. Can't understand those here that want to minimize the risks - we should do everything we can to not let that genie out of the bottle.