tob789

Can I book my medical before getting my police certificate?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all

I have my London case number and have filled out form DS160. I was just going to book my medical when I read that I will need to bring a Police Certificate along. This is very annoying as I've only just realised that I will need the Police Certificate, and I could have sorted it out a long time ago - but never mind!

My question is, can I go ahead and book the medical without having the Police Certificate in hand? Or in other words, will the Medical place require confirmation of my Police Certificate, such as a reference number, at the time of booking? Or can I make the booking without it, and then make sure I have it in time fr the medical?

And one final question - for the interview itself, do you have any choice over the date? I'm likely to be out of the country at various points in December (when I suspect my interview will fall). Do you have to accept the date that is assigned to you? And if you want to choose a different date, does this mean being put to the back of the queue and having to wait weeks/months for a new one?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my police clearance coming in the mail with an ETA of next week... but I went ahead and booked my medical anyway. No where on the Drs website did it say Police Clearance as one of the documents to bring ... So if for whatever reason it doesn't get to me before my medical, I'm not too worried about it. My interview is in a month, so I definitely hope I will have it by then. Seeing as in packet 3, I checked off that I did indeed have it. (well, I ordered it, it was a bit of a white lie ;) )

So to answer your question more directly, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. My fiance has a bunch of other documents we checked off on Packet 3, but I still don't physically have them and I wont until after my medical. I'm not worried.

My Dr only wanted my interview date at the time of booking.

And to bring to the medical itself:

• 4 Passport sized Photo (For Each Applicant)
  • The complete intended address in the US with zip code.
  • Letter with your Name, Case Number & Interview Date
  • Your Passport
  • Payment in Cash Only (debit & credit cards NOT accepted):
  • Vaccination Record
Edited by Soapies

I-129F Process:

05/03/2014 I-129F Sent
05/09/2014 NOA1

05/12/2014 Alien Registration Number Changed

09/17/2014 NOA2 (OMG!!!!) 

09/23/2014 Case forwarded to NVC
10/01/2014 NVC Received

10/06/2014 NVC forwarded case to Montreal Consulate 

10/07/2014 Montreal Consulate Received

10/08/2014 Sent Packet 3

10/09/2014 Received Packet 4

10/22/2014 Medical Appointment

11/12/2014 Interview  APPROVED 

11/24/2014 Visa in Hand!!!!

12/28/2014 POE - Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls
01/12/2015 Applied for SSN

01/31/2015 The day I married my best friend 

AOS Process:

03/14/2015 Sent AOS Package

03/23/2015 Email confirmation, case accepted & routed to USCIS
04/15/2015 Biometrics taken
06/03/2015 75 days since receipt date on my EAD application, called USCIS for a service request  

06/09/2015 NOA2 for AP & EAD ^.^ (arrived in the mail on June 15th!!! finally!!!!)
06/17/2015 AP/EAD Combo card in hand!
06/22/2015 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case
09/27/2015 AOS  APPROVED
10/03/2015 Received Green Card in the mail!!!

ROC Process:
06/26/2017 Sent ROC Package

06/30/2017 NOA / 1 year extension 
08/04/2017 Biometrics taken

04/09/2018 Case was received at my local office

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, and about the interview. (Sorry, I suck at writing replies apparantly lol)... I got to chose my interview date, but I'm not sure if that's consulate specific ... But I could only chose within the next 2 months. Anything after November was "unavailable" and I assume that was because it was just too early to book an interview for that time.

I also have the option to reschedule my interview date up to a week prior to my interview.

I-129F Process:

05/03/2014 I-129F Sent
05/09/2014 NOA1

05/12/2014 Alien Registration Number Changed

09/17/2014 NOA2 (OMG!!!!) 

09/23/2014 Case forwarded to NVC
10/01/2014 NVC Received

10/06/2014 NVC forwarded case to Montreal Consulate 

10/07/2014 Montreal Consulate Received

10/08/2014 Sent Packet 3

10/09/2014 Received Packet 4

10/22/2014 Medical Appointment

11/12/2014 Interview  APPROVED 

11/24/2014 Visa in Hand!!!!

12/28/2014 POE - Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls
01/12/2015 Applied for SSN

01/31/2015 The day I married my best friend 

AOS Process:

03/14/2015 Sent AOS Package

03/23/2015 Email confirmation, case accepted & routed to USCIS
04/15/2015 Biometrics taken
06/03/2015 75 days since receipt date on my EAD application, called USCIS for a service request  

06/09/2015 NOA2 for AP & EAD ^.^ (arrived in the mail on June 15th!!! finally!!!!)
06/17/2015 AP/EAD Combo card in hand!
06/22/2015 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case
09/27/2015 AOS  APPROVED
10/03/2015 Received Green Card in the mail!!!

ROC Process:
06/26/2017 Sent ROC Package

06/30/2017 NOA / 1 year extension 
08/04/2017 Biometrics taken

04/09/2018 Case was received at my local office

Timeline

Thanks for your reply. I've seen in the complete K1 guide in the UK portal that it says:

Before you book the medical exam, you should have your UK police certificate and your LND case number.

Maybe it's different in the UK than in Canada? Is anyone from the UK able to confirm this?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to exactly what Packet 3 is: is this basically just the same as the D160 form?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I've seen in the complete K1 guide in the UK portal that it says:

Before you book the medical exam, you should have your UK police certificate and your LND case number.

Maybe it's different in the UK than in Canada? Is anyone from the UK able to confirm this?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to exactly what Packet 3 is: is this basically just the same as the D160 form?

Thanks

The Canadian information does not apply to you at all.

Go back to the UK GUIDE. Post 2, item 3 describes "packet 3".

Here is a copy of what you get http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=5180175 in post 18. That's an older one. Words are changed slightly. No longer says anything has to ne notarized.

Knightsbridge does not ask for any number off your police certificate.

You don't pick an interview date. You can use the contact form to tell them you are not available for interview until January. In that case what is your rush to book a medical? Get your ducks in a proper row by ordering the police certificate and getting your immunizations. You will do better in the long run to do this in an orderly manner like the consulate wishes.

Another thing you may not know...have you ever had any encounter with the police, even just a caution 15 years ago? Order a Subject Access report in addition to the police certificate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I agree all that Canadian stuff is complete Tosh, you need, for the medical, passport, police cert, questionnaire filled out, payment by card or cash. Photo either UK or US size, doesn't matter. Vaccination record if you have it, if not some more money to get the jabs you need, not vital but it gets it out of the way.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Police certificate usually arrives pretty fast, even without the expedited service so it shouldn't present a problem to you at all and they won't make you give a number for the certificate when you book the medical. Agree with Nich-Nick; you have time so why not do everything in the proper order and be well prepared.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

You need to bring your police certificate for the medical. They use it in part to determine what other tests are needed.

Edited by britishdakota

Timeline

The Canadian information does not apply to you at all.

Go back to the UK GUIDE. Post 2, item 3 describes "packet 3".

Here is a copy of what you get http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=5180175 in post 18. That's an older one. Words are changed slightly. No longer says anything has to ne notarized.

Knightsbridge does not ask for any number off your police certificate.

You don't pick an interview date. You can use the contact form to tell them you are not available for interview until January. In that case what is your rush to book a medical? Get your ducks in a proper row by ordering the police certificate and getting your immunizations. You will do better in the long run to do this in an orderly manner like the consulate wishes.

Another thing you may not know...have you ever had any encounter with the police, even just a caution 15 years ago? Order a Subject Access report in addition to the police certificate.

Thanks all for the info regarding Police Certificate and Packet 3.

Just to clarify: I'd like to have the interview as soon as possible and it would take priority over anything else. However, if I am able to have some influence over the date then that would be great.

I can't see any section on the Statement of Applicant readiness form where I can specify dates when I'm available. Is the contact form you mention a separate form?

Also, how long does it normally take from completing the Applicant Readiness form to getting an interview date? I know it probably varies a lot, but if anyone could give a rough indication of the minimum and average time, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for your help, and your patience!

Edited by tob789

Thanks all for the info regarding Police Certificate and Packet 3.

Just to clarify: I'd like to have the interview as soon as possible and it would take priority over anything else. However, if I am able to have some influence over the date then that would be great.

I can't see any section on the Statement of Applicant readiness form where I can specify dates when I'm available. Is the contact form you mention a separate form?

Also, how long does it normally take from completing the Applicant Readiness form to getting an interview date? I know it probably varies a lot, but if anyone could give a rough indication of the minimum and average time, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for your help, and your patience!

You cannot request an early interview in London, they chose for you.

You can request to delay it but not for an early admission, it's an extreamly busy embassy, it's full every day and the lines can be huge.

The online form ds you submit can be done before the medical because you are asked when it is/was.

You can see from my timeline below how quick my interview was, I completed the form before the medical and got the interview letter not long after the medical.

You do need the police certificate for the medical. They take a photocopy of it.

Just be patient. It will go fast.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.