Vienchulo

Same sex k1 visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I hope I don't offend any one here, I just want to ask if anyone knows or has heard of a same sex couple, one being a Muslim, appying for and being approved for a k1 visa?

I live in the USA, he lives in Islamabad, yes... Pakistan. I guess you can tell who is muslim now... We have been dating for shy of 3 yrs. We have seen eachother 5 times during this 3 yrs, I have met his family but they don't know about our relationship, only his older sister knows and she is ok with it, she has told me plenty of times that she knows we make eachother happy and that's all that matters to her. Her parents and brother in the other hand have expressed their dislike towards homosexuality and that they rather see their kids dead than being homosexual.

We have tried applying for other countries, he has applied for a tourist visa to the USA, a student visa as well, he even applied for a student visa to the uk and they have all been denied.

Does anyone know what would happen if we apply for a k1 visa and someone there at the consulate decides to out him? Are the agents giving the interviews not all American? We love eachother and want to be together, but sometimes it feels like it's not going to happen anytime soon.

I hope someone can give me some advise on what we should do. I love him and I don't want to loose him. Specially because his country is anti gay... I know being a homosexual in Islam is not a sin, having sex is but I'm sure people don't see it like that, specially in Pakistan.

My family loves him very much, and what's more important, they approve of us. And that's all that matters to me. Whatever we do is between us, God, and Allah.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope someone out there has good advice.

You're not offending anyone and if anyone here makes you feel uncomfortable, feel free to report them. This site welcomes all who need help with their legitimate immigration questions.

I honestly cannot say what would happen if someone were to "out" him. I have actually wondered about this because I have heard of binational same sex couples with partners from very anti gay countries, but have never heard of them being outed.

I assume that visa cases are confidential, but I guess you mean what if someone who knows him or his family sees him or something, then I don't know. I have also actually heard of gays being able to get asylum for persecution in their home country, but I'm not sure how that works.

I'm sorry that I can't give you better advice. I know it must be very frustrating. All I know is that you can apply for a fiance visa because it doesn't matter that Pakistan doesn't recognize your relationship because plenty of states here will.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the visa says the fiance's name on it. If Pakistan has an exit immigration system, I don't know how that would go either if they see a male name on it.

I know you say you aren't "trying" to offend, but you are. A person can choose to believe whatever religion they want. If he says he's a Muslim, it's because he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29532357

I do not know about Pakistan but I do know that Morocco has for example been well know as Gay friendly. There was the recent story which went against the norms and received a lot of coverage. I was under the impression that due to local culture the same applied throughout MENA.

To answer your question, all Consulates I believe employ local staff, never heard of one that did not. usually the final say will be down to US seconded staff.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone offended is frankly not worth your time. I really wish I had good advice but perhaps including an affidavit from each of you in your fiancé package that you fear for his life if his family finds out about your relationship due to their views on homosexuality would be helpful? I don't know. I hope someone who has lived through this will have more information for you. I also wonder if perhaps it might not be grounds for expedition that your fiancé may have reason to fear for his life.

Congratulations on your engagement and I hope that this will go quickly and easily for you.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

I would like to point out, just in case it's misinterpreted later on, my comment earlier about the person trying to offend wasn't directed at the OP, but at someone else who apparently deleted their post or it got removed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would like to point out, just in case it's misinterpreted later on, my comment earlier about the person trying to offend wasn't directed at the OP, but at someone else who apparently deleted their post or it got removed.

So it has, very odd.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A Moderator removed the post in question.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***The post in question was removed by me because it was a TOS violation (judgemental and discriminatory). Any additional comments of that nature will not be tolerated. This will be the only warning on the matter, any additional comments of that nature will result in Administrative Action.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You might find more info posting this in the south Asia forum. Regardless, best of luck, and I hope you have a hassle free visa process, with your fiance's privacy respected the whole way through.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you all for all for your responses! I will keep searching for an answer. One way or another me and my fiancé will be together one day. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I hope I don't offend any one here, I just want to ask if anyone knows or has heard of a same sex couple, one being a Muslim, appying for and being approved for a k1 visa?

I live in the USA, he lives in Islamabad, yes... Pakistan. I guess you can tell who is muslim now... We have been dating for shy of 3 yrs. We have seen eachother 5 times during this 3 yrs, I have met his family but they don't know about our relationship, only his older sister knows and she is ok with it, she has told me plenty of times that she knows we make eachother happy and that's all that matters to her. Her parents and brother in the other hand have expressed their dislike towards homosexuality and that they rather see their kids dead than being homosexual.

We have tried applying for other countries, he has applied for a tourist visa to the USA, a student visa as well, he even applied for a student visa to the uk and they have all been denied.

Does anyone know what would happen if we apply for a k1 visa and someone there at the consulate decides to out him? Are the agents giving the interviews not all American? We love eachother and want to be together, but sometimes it feels like it's not going to happen anytime soon.

I hope someone can give me some advise on what we should do. I love him and I don't want to loose him. Specially because his country is anti gay... I know being a homosexual in Islam is not a sin, having sex is but I'm sure people don't see it like that, specially in Pakistan.

My family loves him very much, and what's more important, they approve of us. And that's all that matters to me. Whatever we do is between us, God, and Allah.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope someone out there has good advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Vienchulo -- Although it's been a long time since you posted, I hope you'll get this. Best wishes to you guys -- assuming that you are together by now. I'm in a similar situation, except that my fiancé is Egyptian. Please let me know how things went with your fiancé when he left Pakistan. I have not gotten any answers to my question about what happens when my guy tries to leave Egypt with a K1 visa stamped in his passport, showing an obviously male name as the petitioner.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.