We Keep Receipts

Police pepper spray Wake County teen inside his home after he's mistaken for burglar

19 posts in this topic

I've had encounters with the police - few but I've had them. Never lost my cool and certainly never tried to argue with the officer.

The police officers weren't pi$$y about the pictures, they were investigating a call about a burglary in progress. They enter the residence and find a black guy in his late teens in the house claiming to be once of the family's children. Then they see the family photographs with three itty bitty little white kids. There's a gap there that might suggest to the officers that maybe they are not being told the truth by the teen. Now add the teen being argumentative and belligerent and I can see how the cops draw the wrong conclusions.

Should the officers apologize to the family? Depends on the whole story - all we're hearing here is one side of it.

Were your encounters with the police similar to what DeShawn experienced ie in terms of the magnitude of the crime/accusation(s)?

I've had different experiences with the police ranging from calm, to laughing to crying (this time I was 13 I think). We all react uniquely in situations with the cops. I do agree that belligerent behaviour doesn't help a situation like this at all.

No, I don't think it's unreasonable for the cops to question the situation. Had they just taken his word and left, we'd probably hear a story about the police failing to properly investigate the reported burglary. The family would then point out that any person with reasonable judgement would have questioned the teen based on what the cops must have encountered in the home.

That's where my issue is, the police didn't investigate enough. I would think that they would try to get into contact with the home owners and verify what they were being told. Edited by aaydrian

Filed: Timeline

Were your encounters with the police similar to what DeShawn experienced ie in terms of the magnitude of the crime/accusation(s)?

I've had different experiences with the police ranging from calm, to laughing to crying (this time I was 13 I think). We all react uniquely in situations with the cops. I do agree that belligerent behaviour doesn't help a situation like this at all.

I've had my share of troubles as a teen. The worst encounter probably was when we were chased with dogs after congregating too close to the Berlin wall. I remember that I stopped running just as soon as the cop announced that he'd let the dog loose if I continued to run. I stopped on a dime and then did my best to diffuse the situation by being cooperative and very apologetic. I got to home with a warning after having my identity verified. Had I put up a argument, I would have gotten acquainted with the facilities.

That's where my issue is, the police didn't investigate enough. I would think that they would try to get into contact with the home owners and verify what they were being told.

My understanding is that the teen was belligerent as the cops were doing their investigation.

I've had my share of troubles as a teen. The worst encounter probably was when we were chased with dogs after congregating too close to the Berlin wall. I remember that I stopped running just as soon as the cop announced that he'd let the dog loose if I continued to run. I stopped on a dime and then did my best to diffuse the situation by being cooperative and very apologetic. I got to home with a warning after having my identity verified. Had I put up a argument, I would have gotten acquainted with the facilities.

My understanding is that the teen was belligerent as the cops were doing their investigation.

If the kid was acting crazy while the police were trying to get in contact with his guardians then pepper spraying was inevitable.