bukerjw

interview next week - last minute domicile questions!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We have our interview in Montreal in a week (!!!) and a bunch of last minute jitters.

1) My USC wife is pregnant, and we're wondering whether to advertise this fact, and show that she is booked in with a midwife in the USA. I am thinking that could help provide evidence of domicile. Is there any reason AT ALL that a pregnant USC would be a BAD thing, for domicile or other issues at the interview??

2) Domicile is the big issue for us. My part-time job will remain in Canada (I will commute twice a week) once we immigrate, so we can't use my job as evidence of domicile.

I (intending immigrant) have purchased a home jointly with my USC wife's parents, who are now living there. My USC wife is not one of the owners, and not on the mortgage, because my credit was better, so we left her off. Will this wrinkle matter at all in Montreal?

I am thinking me jointly owning a place with USC's parents must be as good as a lease. Am I correct?

(My wife and I are living in Canada, but plan to move in to this place permanently once I get my visa.)

3) My wife tried to get a USA drivers license / voter registration recently, but she was TOO HONEST and the guy at the DMV turned her down because she wasn't actually living in the USA just yet. Does the Montreal Consulate actually expect her to lie in order to get her license?? I have read many times you are supposed to get your drivers license and voter registration in order to provide evidence of establishing domicile, but isn't this technically not allowed if you're not already living there???

Thank you!

Absolutely mention she already has a midwife in the USA. Your domicile, as the beneficiary, is not necessary, it's up to the USC to show she has domicile. Because you already have a home in the USA, that will certainly help of course. Can you get your wife's name on the bills. That will actually help her get a driver's license as well.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife's name is on the electric bill. She brought the bill in with her. Somehow they were talking and the question was brought up "Do you live in the house now?" She didn't answer directly, then the guy asked, "Do you live there more than 50% of the time?"

She should have just said "yes," but she's pretty truthful and just said the truth.

I just find it telling that, to go through this strict, authoritarian process of immigrating to the United States, you are expected to - well - lie to the authorities.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.