Empress Bori

Any knowledge of Discrimination during interview?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Good luck....discrimination is the hardest crime to prove, and trying to sue the government for discrimination makes it 100 times harder.

US Posts or other country Diplomatic posts are immune from lawsuits...nice try about discrimination.

Just dress neatly AND ready for business (which the interaction is). Suit is better but careul attention to appearance is part and parcel of ANY interaction...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

The biggest form of discrimination that your fiance may face would come at the medical in the form of the question about drug use as the federal government classifies cannabis as illegal. As long as that doesn't cause any problems, I assume that he'd be fine at the interview.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

The biggest form of discrimination that your fiance may face would come at the medical in the form of the question about drug use as the federal government classifies cannabis as illegal. As long as that doesn't cause any problems, I assume that he'd be fine at the interview.

Her fiance's religious practices are in conflict with medical requirements. This will have more impact on visa approval than a perceived idea of discrimination on his appearance.

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/517125-dreadlocksappearance-for-interview/?fromsearch=1

My fiancé is Rastarfari. I'll let u know what happens after his interview. We just had a discussion about this and neither him or I feel it's necessary to cut his locks. He would never change who he is and i would NEVER ask him to. So now Rastafarians are not allowed the same rights as everyone else??

I am proud of my fiancé's choice in life. He is the most caring, loving, patient, giving man I've ever been with. I hope everyone sees and knows he's a rasta man. I hope his awesome personality, kindness, and charm sparks their interest and makes them google "Rastafari" and learn the real truth behind their beliefs.

Right! No need to cut his hair and I do not believe person get denied for reason based on discrimination. As long as they dress in the appropriate manner.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Her fiance's religious practices are in conflict with medical requirements. This will have more impact on visa approval than a perceived idea of discrimination on his appearance.

Oh my! Y'all really getting this girl going.

A. Rastafari is not really a religion....yet a way of life...a lifestyle choice to live in non judgmental harmony with others in love and peace. An all natural, one love, one aim, one destiny approach.

B. While Rastarfari's may believe that herb is a natural plant, when used, can bring u closer in mind, body, and spirit to Jah....It doesn't mean every Rastafari uses it.

Now overcoming that stereo type maybe difficult. However, drug tests, police records, and medical Q&A reports can attest to that.

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good luck....discrimination is the hardest crime to prove, and trying to sue the government for discrimination makes it 100 times harder.

Again as stated before this post is not in reference to any discrimination lawsuit.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on trying to sue any government agency, as to prove discrimination would be a "he said she said" lawsuit and everyone knows hearsay is highly speculated in the court of law as there is no proof...

I am asking to see if others have made the same inferences as I.

Timeline

A. Rastafari is not really a religion....yet a way of life...a lifestyle choice to live in non judgmental harmony with others in love and peace. An all natural, one love, one aim, one destiny approach.

B. While Rastarfari's may believe that herb is a natural plant, when used, can bring u closer in mind, body, and spirit to Jah....It doesn't mean every Rastafari uses it.

Now overcoming that stereo type maybe difficult. However, drug tests, police records, and medical Q&A reports can attest to that.

Well said! The proof is in the pudding! Not all Rasta smoke...

Call it a religion/way of life/whatever, one of it practices is smoking a substance that is checked for in the medical. He has to declare drug usage at the medical. They probably will check for it.

The point I was making, was that illegal drug usage is more of a hindrance to visa approval than his appearance.

I have no idea if her fiance has or has not indulged in this practice. Neither do I care.

Oh and here is an introduction to Rastafari...

.http://altreligion.about.com/od/alternativereligionsaz/a/rastafari.htm

You can understand why I called it a religion.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Call it a religion/way of life/whatever, one of it practices is smoking a substance that is checked for in the medical. He has to declare drug usage at the medical. They probably will check for it.

The point I was making, was that illegal drug usage is more of a hindrance to visa approval than his appearance.

Completely agree.

I don't think his or my appearance should play any factor as opposites attract. his dreads are always well kept and he doesn't "look" like a "low life" or anything he is a hard working man. I just don't want anyone to see him as a rasta and automatiaclly make an assumption about his character as he is an upstanding, law abiding citizen.

he would present himself in the same way he would at the interview, well dressed and well mannered person.a presentable person.

No one really cares "What you think". That's the point exactly. You are refusing to see the points made by others. RED flags...are not based upon what you think. They might be based on what the CO thinks, however. I will assure you that many "Upstanding and law abiding citizens" have been turned down for jobs because of their appearance. Of course the job interviewer will never admit to that because it might be discriminatory. They will just not hire the person. Same goes for his interview with the CO. They rarely tell you why you are being denied...they don't have to. So IMHO, have this sweet man of your cut his hair, wear some very presentable clothes and attend the interview as if his life depended on it. Being stubborn and refusing to cut ones hair won't get the two of you anywhere. Good luck.

Timeline

No one really cares "What you think". That's the point exactly. You are refusing to see the points made by others. RED flags...are not based upon what you think. They might be based on what the CO thinks, however. I will assure you that many "Upstanding and law abiding citizens" have been turned down for jobs because of their appearance. Of course the job interviewer will never admit to that because it might be discriminatory. They will just not hire the person. Same goes for his interview with the CO. They rarely tell you why you are being denied...they don't have to. So IMHO, have this sweet man of your cut his hair, wear some very presentable clothes and attend the interview as if his life depended on it. Being stubborn and refusing to cut ones hair won't get the two of you anywhere. Good luck.

Thank you for your opinion. However, this is not a job interview. I also assure you my fiance is not the first person with dreadlocks getting a K1 visa. I appreciate you opinion and input. :no:

However, I would like to obtain comments from someone who has dreadlocks and to inquire how the interview process in Jamaica was.

Thank you for your opinion. However, this is not a job interview. I also assure you my fiance is not the first person with dreadlocks getting a K1 visa. I appreciate you opinion and input. :no:

However, I would like to obtain comments from someone who has dreadlocks and to inquire how the interview process in Jamaica was.

I agree with you 100% This is MUCH BIGGER than any job interview anyone will ever face. This is a REST-OF-YOUR life interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.