5 posts in this topic

I am fixing to send off my husband's AOS from K1 and was wondering if it was ok to send off the AOS package without any relationship proof besides the marriage certificate and proof we have joint bank account....although my name has not been changed on the bank acct...bc I forgot to bring my marriage certificate the day I added him....I really don't have much more than that right now...since he's been here only 2.5 months. ...I am just ready to send off his AOS and had that small doubt as to whether or not that will be a red flag or problem....thanks in advance

The idea behind AOS is to adjust his status, not to prove that your relationship is bonafide- you'll have ROC to do that. You will need to send the marriage certificate and your financial information. Have you read the guides on AOS yet? Everything you need to know is in there. http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

I am fixing to send off my husband's AOS from K1 and was wondering if it was ok to send off the AOS package without any relationship proof besides the marriage certificate and proof we have joint bank account....although my name has not been changed on the bank acct...bc I forgot to bring my marriage certificate the day I added him....I really don't have much more than that right now...since he's been here only 2.5 months. ...I am just ready to send off his AOS and had that small doubt as to whether or not that will be a red flag or problem....thanks in advance

How to Adjust Status (AOS)

(For K1 Visa Holders)

Understanding Adjustment of Status:

After marrying your US citizen spouse (within 90 days) within the United States, you have file for Adjustment of Status.

The Adjustment of Status (AOS) Process is designed for the Visa Holders to change their original entry status. In this case, K1 holders entered on the U.S. on a 1-entry visa and need to change their status so they can gain benefits (such as employment, travel privileges, and most importantly Permanent Residence.) First read the AOS Guide: (Very Important!)

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1aos

Just follow the guide step-by-step. It's a lot of work but do 1 thing at time. Most people do all 3 at once. It’s the best option!

So if you're doing all 3 (Green Card, Employment Card, & Advance Parole), attach all the required documents with each application and mail together in same packet to the correct address.

The Medical Exam application needs to be completed by K1 visa holder and a local Civil Surgeon. Search for the closet Civil Surgeon near you using the link below.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

I paid about $75 for them to complete the forms. Try to find the best deal, some places will try and over-charge you. Most people who file should have just got there Medical done in the Dominican Rep and if they got all their required vaccinations and shots they will not need to get it again (if it’s under 1 year). So remind them you just need to have the Civil Surgeon complete their portion of the I-693. Make sure the K1/K3 Visa Holder has their Medical History form called DS-3025 (given to them after Medical Exam in Santo Domingo).

Remember to gather all of the correct documents. Each form (I-485, I-765, & I-131) require certain things. You will need to have 2 passport photos for each form. Total of 6. Have the packet organized so everything is labeled and easy to find. I'm including the Cover Letter/Checklist I made with my Packet. Feel free to use it.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS COVER LETTER/CHECKLIST

[Date]

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Re: Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application

(K -1/3 Visa holder) Spouse Name (Spouse’s Maiden Name)

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find my Form I-485: Application to Adjustment of Status; Form I-765: Application for Employment Authorization; Form I-131: Application for Travel Document, Form I-693: Medical Examination of Aliens seeking Adjustment of Status, and supporting documents.

Contents include:

*Payment in the amount of $1,070 (personal check)

Form G-1145 (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance)

*Form I-485: Application to Adjust Status of K-1/3 Spouse

-Photographs (2) of [spouse Name]

-Photocopy of birth certificate w/English translation of [spouse Name]

-Photocopy of passport biographical page and K-1/3 Visa page

*Form G-325A: Biographical Information Sheet

*Form I-864: Affidavit of Support with photocopies of supporting documents

-Employment letter from [Company Name]

-Last 3 years of income tax returns with W2’s

-Last 3 Years IRS tax transcripts

*Copy of I-797: Notice of Action documents from USCIS(NOA1)

*Copy of I-129: Petition Approval Notice from USCIS (NOA2)

*Certified copy of Marriage Certificate for [Your Name] & [spouse Name]

*Photocopy of I-94: Arrival/Departure record (front & back)

*Form I-765: Application for Employment Authorization

-Photocopies (2) of [spouse Name]

-Photocopy of I-94: Arrival/Departure record (front & back)

*Form I-131: Application for Travel Document

-Explanation for Eligibility (dated & signed)

-Photocopies (2) of [spouse Name]

-Photocopy of I-94: Arrival/Departure record (front & back)

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration Officer at a later date.

Yours sincerely,

[spouse Name] (Spouse of U.S. Citizen [Your Name])

Signature & Date

Checking your Case Status

After your AOS Packet is sent, you will go through a similar process as before. More waiting and more preparation. (and you thought you were all done?) Once you receive your NOA1, you can check your “case status” on www.UCSIS.gov. You will also receive updates through email and/or text if you chose to submit the Form G-1145 (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance).

K1 Visa Process -> 12/09-06/10 Married -> 09/10/10 AOS Process -> 09/10-12/10 Removal of Conditions-> 09/12-07/13

U.S. Naturalization -> 7/8/20

***What To Do After NOA2 (The Dominican Way) Wiki Page:

https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/dominican_republic_after_receiving_the_noa2/***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The only proof of relationship you need with the I-485 is a copy of your marriage certificate. Nothing else. If you get an interview, then you take the proof of your valid marriage in case they want to see it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thanks you guys for your help. AOS package sent Saturday 10/12/14....Now the wait begins AGAINNNNNN.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.