Gizzmondo

K-1 Timescales - Working in the USA

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

From our experience, you don't need to wait 2+ weeks to apply from your ssn. My husband arrived on a Friday night, applied for it on the next Monday morning, and had it in hand about 5 days later. Now that everything is computerized, it doesn't take as long to be in the system. He brought his passport to the social security office; that's all. If you're looking to expedite the process, make sure the place where you get your certified copy of your marriage document knows that you need it ASAP. We got ours from the Santa Barbara courthouse (where we got married) the same afternoon as our wedding. We filed AOS/AP/EAD that same week. It's been 62 days since NOA1 for those, and no approvals for EAD/AP yet. Some people in our group have gotten approvals already. Good luck!

I wonder if that has anything to do with him being on the VWP. Not all countries have the updated passports which would allow faster electronic processing.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

I wonder if that has anything to do with him being on the VWP. Not all countries have the updated passports which would allow faster electronic processing.

Very possibly, but the OP is from the UK, so it could still be helpful information. :) Edit to add this: plus, he still came on a K1, so his information on his I94 was based on that visa, not a vwp.

Edited by Tina and Johan

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Is the policy of filing them after the I-485 recent? As far as I was aware, it was file with AoS and have the fees waived, or cough up for the fees if you file separate.

I have never heard of an AoS taking only 3 months! I typically hear around 8-12 months from the date they filed, until they receive their CGC.

Not new at all. They are waived if filed with a pending I-485. That can be at the same time, or after filing for AOS.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Please note that, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident on or after July 30, 2007, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advance parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms together. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after July 30, 2007, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485.

Sometimes people get an interview and have their green cards approved before even receiving their EAD/AP. Quick approvals can happen. I would not say it typically takes 8-12 months. That is a bit on the high end. Just saw a timeline earlier for someone that was approved in 3 1/2 months. You can check out the progress reports forum to see timelines of people.

And no, you do not need to wait 2 weeks after entry to apply for the SSN. Since the I-94s became electronic/automated, people have been able to print their I-94 right after entry and get the SSN within days. It has nothing to to do with the VWP.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thanks for the speedy response .... another question, what would happen to my UK passport - if it expires within the time period of waiting for AOS, I would have no UK residency to renew or replace ?

Renew your passport. The UK renews passport from their Overseas office in Durham (UK). I applied for my sons passport. It is simple, you apply online and pay online then gather supporting documents and mail the old passport and supporting documents to Durham (they will provide the address). Takes roughly 10 weeks according to them, but depending on when you apply processing times may be less...

Previous Visa & EAD/AP Timeline

K-1 Visa Timeline

22 March 2014 - Sent I-129F

See timeline for data in between these dates.

24 June 2014 - Interview

25 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

26 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Issued

01 July 2014 - Received Visa

POE & Marriage

03 July 2014 - POE (BWI airport)

14 July 2014 - Marriage

Advanced Parole (I131)Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
31 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
27 September 2014 - EAD Combo Card Received

Employment Authorisation (I765) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
20 September 2014 - Card in Production Update
22 September 2014 - Card in Production Update Again
25 September 2014 - Card Sent Update (Another update came later that day with USPS tracking code)
27 September 2014 - Card Received

Adjustment of Status (I-148) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
24 July 2014 - Acceptance - Fingerprint fee accepted and case processed at Nebraska Service Center
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
26 August 2014 - Biometrics Done
12 November 2014 - Notification of Potential Interview Waiver (NPIW) Received
26 March 2014 - Cleveland Field Office is requesting my file from NBC.
23 April 2014 - Green Card Ordered!

Avatar Photo by Henry Mühlpfordt / CC-BY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.