Hazzard65

Getting married, moving to US hope to bring my soon to be wife

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

My father was in the USAF for 25 years (retired now). I was born in Germany, lived in the US for 2 years when I was very young and have been living in the UK for over 20 years. I just landed a job in Maryland, Stateside and am preparing to move over at the end of October. I have a dual American/ British Citizenship. My partner (She's a British citizen) and I are getting married soon (October 18th) after being together for more than 12 years, engaged for 2. I was under the assumption that being married things would be straightforward for an American to bring his/her spouse. Looking into it the entire process looks incredibly complicated and lengthy.

So forgive me but here comes the barrage of questions :):

What visa we should be applying for in order to bring her over permanently?

How long might the process take?

Do you have any tips for expediting the process?

Can she visit while we await approval?

If so how long can she visit for in the interim?

How long will she have to wait before she can return to visit again?

If she does visit what proof can she provide that she intends to return to the UK?

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, I was just hoping for some clarity as everything I've read up on seems very confusing, contradictory and rife with anecdotes.

I really, really appreciate all your help guys, thanks!

If you both reside in the UK then you should consider filing DCF by following this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=dcf

DCF is a special (and faster) method whereby you file directly with the local USCIS office in the embassy, rather than having your case processed in the US. You would probably have the visa within 2 - 3 months from the day you apply if you used DCF, whereas filing through the normal procedure would be a year of waiting or longer.

There is a DCF board here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/82-direct-consular-filing-dcf-general-discussion/

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Oh wow thank you!

And this is a UK specific guide written by one of our members. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/DCF_London

Marry ASAP, even if you plan a bigger ceremony later. You can only file DCF if married and while you are resident in the UK. Then you can move.

The spouse visa is CR1.

She can visit.

Proof of ties to the UK are a return ticket, a job, a house or flat lease, bank account, etc. If your visit plan is come for the full 90 days, leave a week and come back for 90 more days...probably not going to work. There is no specific time away and time in the US. It's up to the mood of the person in charge when she enters. Don't appear to be trying to "live" in the US more than time spent at home.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.