GBCW

4 Ways to Retain Gen Xers

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Thanks.

I took a pay cut to come and work for this company 21 years ago, but it's paid off tenfold. I wanted a career change and short of going back to school for 2 or 4 years, this was the only way I was going to get it. I had some knowledge in this field and knew if I applied myself, I could make a go of it. I put my time in at the bottom and slowly worked my way to the top. As of last September, the only two people here with more seniority than me are the two owners. When I started here there were at least 4 guys with 15 years or more with this company. That told me that it was probably a decent company to work for if I put my time in. Two of the older guys retired within 10 years of my starting here and I began my move up the ladder.

Same here - I took a pay-cut 15 years ago when I first went to work in the field I am still employed in today. It was a significant pay cut at the time but I have since almost quintupled my income and earn today what I would never have been able to earn in the business I was employed in previously. I work fewer hours than it did then, too. That leaves more time for family and friends. Looking at the whole picture, I have no complaints and no regrets working where I work today. It's a good gig in a good firm working with good people. I hope I can continue working this until it's time to retire.

Filed: Other Timeline

if i was born in 1978, what am i? gen x? i feel like i'm on the cusp and don't fit in anywhere. :crying:

2000/2001-Present - New Silent Generation or Generation Z

1980-2000 - Millennials or Generation Y

1965-1979 - Generation X

1946-1964 - Baby Boom

1925-1945 - Silent Generation

1900-1924 - G.I. Generation

Same here - I took a pay-cut 15 years ago when I first went to work in the field I am still employed in today. It was a significant pay cut at the time but I have since almost quintupled my income and earn today what I would never have been able to earn in the business I was employed in previously. I work fewer hours than it did then, too. That leaves more time for family and friends. Looking at the whole picture, I have no complaints and no regrets working where I work today. It's a good gig in a good firm working with good people. I hope I can continue working this until it's time to retire.

You really can't ask for much more than that out of a job. Glad you were able to make the change and make things better for yourself and family.

if i was born in 1978, what am i? gen x? i feel like i'm on the cusp and don't fit in anywhere. :crying:

I don't think there's any question that you're worthy of your own "Generation Val"!

1965-1979 - Generation X

1946-1964 - Baby Boom

i just don't see how much someone who was born in 1980 could have in common generationally with someone born in 2000. their experiences will be very different.

I don't think there's any question that you're worthy of your own "Generation Val"!

:content:

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

1965-1979 - Generation X

1946-1964 - Baby Boom

I wonder what happened there? Did they run out of "generation X" jokes after 15 years and just decide it was time to move on already.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

I wonder what happened there? Did they run out of "generation X" jokes after 15 years and just decide it was time to move on already.

yeah. i think generation y will end up being 1980-1990 and millenials 1990-2005ish

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

yeah. i think generation y will end up being 1980-1990 and millenials 1990-2005ish

I thought so too. We actually have to go to generational awareness training every 2 years where I work. Just so everyone gets along.

They have it broken down by 20 year groups I think, although they could be making those up. Just like everything else they talk about for the 90 or so minutes of the training.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I thought so too. We actually have to go to generational awareness training every 2 years where I work. Just so everyone gets along.

They have it broken down by 20 year groups I think, although they could be making those up. Just like everything else they talk about for the 90 or so minutes of the training.

My employers requires managers to go through that training. Because every generation needs to be managed differently. With the Millennials, it's basically "walk on eggshells because those babies are sensitive". Oh, and they're good at social media (and the rest of us are not, reality notwithstanding).

Filed: Other Timeline

WTEFF?? Generational Awareness Training?

1. You work for Google?

2. You work in California?

3. Starbucks?

4. Nancy Pelosi?

5. Ben and Jerrys?

6. Acorn?

In the movie "Little Big Man" with Dustin Hoffman, the Indians he lived with also had generational training. They trained the tribe elders to go disappear on the rocks so they wouldn't hold everyone else back.

Edited by ExExpat