Stuart and Katie

Sticky situation with Social Security Card, would appreciate any advice

4 posts in this topic

We signed two car leases a few weeks ago. When signing we were asked to show my husband's Social Security card. As doesn't carry the card around, we said we'd bring it back the following day. When we found the card we realized it had a "valid for work with DHS authorization" note on it. According to the dealer's financing department, the bank won't allow a card with that note. (Side note: we honestly did not remember that the card said that. It's been ages since either of us have looked at it, and if we would have known we would have applied for a "clear" card since he is eligible for one with the green card.)

So, we asked if we could just provide a copy of the green card instead, and they said sure no problem. We drove away.

Fast forward a couple weeks and the dealer is calling/texting/emailing us saying we NEED to provide the card without the DHS stipulation. My husband says he will go to the Social Security office and order an updated card, but that it might take a week or two for the new card to arrive. Dealer says that's not acceptable.

We understand that we made a mistake in assuming we had the right card. But, they did tell us the green card would be acceptable, so now we are unsure how to handle it. If all else fails, we could try taking his name off the lease, but I don't know if I would be eligible for the leases with my salary alone. As you might imagine, we don't want to lose our cars.

Any advice for how to handle this with the dealer/finance person AND with the social security office? Any way this type of thing can be expedited or another document shown in its place?

11/01/12 - I-129F sent
11/14/12 - NOA1 (email/text)
11/19/12 - NOA1 (paper)
05/17/13 - NOA2 (email/text)
05/22/13 - NOA2 (paper)
05/29/13 - Case forwarded to NVC
06/04/13 - Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
06/06/13 - Medical
06/12/13 - Packet 3 received
06/13/13 - Packet 3 sent
06/25/13 - Packet 4 received
07/19/13 - Interview
07/26/13 - Visa received
08/09/13 - POE (IAD)
08/31/13 - Wedding heart.gif
10/03/13 - I-485 & I-765 sent
10/10/13 - NOA1 (email/text)
10/15/13 - NOA1 (paper)
11/12/13 - I-485 & I-765 Biometrics

12/03/13 - EAD approval

12/10/13 - EAD received

02/22/14 - Green Card approval
03/01/14 - Green Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I would try to explain to dumb dealer / bank that your green card is a DHS authorization for work. In addition, why they wanted to see the SS card itself ? They have absolutely no bussiness in doing so, although right now you're little trapped but if eveyrything else fails, I personally would return the card and go lease from somebody else renting a car in the meantime. Have no patience for stupid people, after all they're making money on you.

Personally I would ask where in the contract does it state I am in default of the contract if I use an SS card with that notation? When they can not show you such a clause, I'd tell them to pound sand and further calls will be considered harassment and reported as such including reporting the discrimination against a legal permanent resident of the USA.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We signed two car leases a few weeks ago. When signing we were asked to show my husband's Social Security card. As doesn't carry the card around, we said we'd bring it back the following day. When we found the card we realized it had a "valid for work with DHS authorization" note on it. According to the dealer's financing department, the bank won't allow a card with that note. (Side note: we honestly did not remember that the card said that. It's been ages since either of us have looked at it, and if we would have known we would have applied for a "clear" card since he is eligible for one with the green card.)

So, we asked if we could just provide a copy of the green card instead, and they said sure no problem. We drove away.

Fast forward a couple weeks and the dealer is calling/texting/emailing us saying we NEED to provide the card without the DHS stipulation. My husband says he will go to the Social Security office and order an updated card, but that it might take a week or two for the new card to arrive. Dealer says that's not acceptable.

We understand that we made a mistake in assuming we had the right card. But, they did tell us the green card would be acceptable, so now we are unsure how to handle it. If all else fails, we could try taking his name off the lease, but I don't know if I would be eligible for the leases with my salary alone. As you might imagine, we don't want to lose our cars.

Any advice for how to handle this with the dealer/finance person AND with the social security office? Any way this type of thing can be expedited or another document shown in its place?

I would find another dealership to work with. They are mis-informed about the restrictions stated on the SS card. Also, you don't even need to show them the actual card, just provide the SSN so they can assess credit risk...

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.