imajin99

Help-Married a US citizen while visiting

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Once the EAD/AP is processed, I could go back and forth from US to Canada?

unsure. is a risk, based on your legal presence in USA.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

She still has about 5 months of authorized stay and she is planning to file for AOS right away so she would be fine traveling with AP.

This does not constitute legal advice.

When you talk in here and in email and in PM it's confusing for everyone else and for other people who would read the thread.

I'm glad the OP has found a method for their madness. ;) I do think the AOS is the best. BUT you do not need to continue working or even go back to work after it is over. Try not to spend more than 6 months outside of the USA and if you know you'll be out for a year or more apply for a reentry permit. Also once you get your green card you are no longer eligible for any Canadian benefits except EI. You are not a resident of Canada so cannot get Canadian health care etc...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Something else that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that depending on the frequency and length of your trips back to Canada, and what you do to establish yourself in the US, your status as a permanent resident might be affected. You've mentioned that you'll travel back and forth frequently to be with your parents and continue your job there for some length of time. PR doesn't work the same way as citizenship, which can NEVER be taken away from you.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted

EDIT: NLR touched on it in the post right above this one.

Edited by sma1488

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Something else that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that depending on the frequency and length of your trips back to Canada, and what you do to establish yourself in the US, your status as a permanent resident might be affected. You've mentioned that you'll travel back and forth frequently to be with your parents and continue your job there for some length of time. PR doesn't work the same way as citizenship, which can NEVER be taken away from you.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted

EDIT: NLR touched on it in the post right above this one.

Thank-you, I have been reading up on this stuff since you have mentioned it. I think I should be okay as I only plan on being away for a short duration 3-4 months and then will be back to the US permanently.

You can look at my timeline below for a more recent AOS timeline in NYC if that helps. The USCIS processing times mentioned above are ridiculously conservative and posted based on data from 2 months prior. Earlier this year, New Yorkers were getting their approvals in less than 90 days. The office slowed down considerably since and we're crossing our fingers to be done in 5 months.

One thing to keep in mind - the processing speed depends a lot on the completeness and accuracy of your application. If anything is missing, that halts your application until you mail whatever required documents are needed and USCIS has time to review, which can take weeks, so it's important to get it in quickly, but equally important to make sure it's accurate if you've got a time crunch. The guides are excellent but be sure to read the instructions for each form carefully.

AOS from TN (I'm the petitioner)

05-14-14: Married!

05-22-14: (Day 00) - AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765) overnighted to Chicago

05-23-14: (Day 01) - Package delivered and signed for by J.C.

05-30-14: (Day 08) - Email/text notifications received at 12:24am

06-05-14: (Day 14) - NOAs received in the mail

06-07-14: (Day 16) - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

06-20-14: (Day 29) - Biometrics complete as scheduled

06-26-14: (Day 35) - Received text that I-485 was moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

08-12-14: (Day 82) - EAD/AP card in production

08-20-14: (Day 90) - EAD/AP card arrived

08-27-14: (Day 97) - Received email for interview October 3rd

08-29-14: (Day 99) - NOA2 for interview received in the mail

10-03-14: (Day 134) - Interview at Federal Plaza - APPROVED! Card in Production email 20 minutes later!

10-09-14: (Day 140) - Received email that card was mailed

10-10-14: (Day 141) - Green card, Welcome to the US notice, and approval of I-130 received in the mail

ROC

08-02-16: Mailed ROC package to VSC

08-09-16: Check cashed

08-12-16: Received NOA dated 8-5

08-26-16: Received biometrics appointment for 9/8/16

07-13-17: New card is being produced!

Timeline

You can look at my timeline below for a more recent AOS timeline in NYC if that helps. The USCIS processing times mentioned above are ridiculously conservative and posted based on data from 2 months prior. Earlier this year, New Yorkers were getting their approvals in less than 90 days. The office slowed down considerably since and we're crossing our fingers to be done in 5 months.

One thing to keep in mind - the processing speed depends a lot on the completeness and accuracy of your application. If anything is missing, that halts your application until you mail whatever required documents are needed and USCIS has time to review, which can take weeks, so it's important to get it in quickly, but equally important to make sure it's accurate if you've got a time crunch. The guides are excellent but be sure to read the instructions for each form carefully.

This is great, thank-you. What is NOA? Notice of Approval? I have seen it mentioned on the site a few times. We are still going back and forth about what we want to do as I am working for the government and need to be back by April or May to work for a few months. At that time I will apply for an extended leave for two years. My fear is if I apply for the AOS, when I leave for the few months will that reflect negatively on my residency status when my two years for the conditional green card are up?

Can my spouse apply for the CR1 Visa, while I remain with him until my 6 months are up and return home (so I will be still in the US but as a visitor as I will return home before the 6 months). If he applies now, then that would be about 6 months and I can work in Canada for 6 months and take my extended leave at that time. This would allow there to be enough time for the CR1 to be processed.

Yes, NOA is notice of approval - just the formal notifications you get saying they received your application and that they've scheduled your interview. My husband was also considering working abroad for a few months after getting his conditional green card, and as NLR said, my understanding from poking around on the forums was that as long as you are gone for less than 6 months, it's not a problem. The link that sma1488 sent says a year, but the question is really whether or not they believe you intend to make the US your permanent residence. If you are only taking a 2-year break from your job, does that mean you intend to move back to Canada eventually? That would probably be the bigger complication.

I'm not an expert on CR-1 but I think what you are proposing sounds doable (and less expensive), except that my impression is that it's taking more than a year to get the CR-1s processed. You should take a look at the CR-1 progress threads to get an idea. If it isn't done in the timeline that you're looking for, then you would be stuck in Canada until it's completed.

AOS from TN (I'm the petitioner)

05-14-14: Married!

05-22-14: (Day 00) - AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765) overnighted to Chicago

05-23-14: (Day 01) - Package delivered and signed for by J.C.

05-30-14: (Day 08) - Email/text notifications received at 12:24am

06-05-14: (Day 14) - NOAs received in the mail

06-07-14: (Day 16) - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

06-20-14: (Day 29) - Biometrics complete as scheduled

06-26-14: (Day 35) - Received text that I-485 was moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

08-12-14: (Day 82) - EAD/AP card in production

08-20-14: (Day 90) - EAD/AP card arrived

08-27-14: (Day 97) - Received email for interview October 3rd

08-29-14: (Day 99) - NOA2 for interview received in the mail

10-03-14: (Day 134) - Interview at Federal Plaza - APPROVED! Card in Production email 20 minutes later!

10-09-14: (Day 140) - Received email that card was mailed

10-10-14: (Day 141) - Green card, Welcome to the US notice, and approval of I-130 received in the mail

ROC

08-02-16: Mailed ROC package to VSC

08-09-16: Check cashed

08-12-16: Received NOA dated 8-5

08-26-16: Received biometrics appointment for 9/8/16

07-13-17: New card is being produced!

You can do that. He can file the petition (I-130) for you now and you can stay up until the end of your authorized stay. You have to make sure to leave before that since you don't want an overstay on your record. Since you still have about 5 months left, the petition would be in process during this time. Then you can go back to work and wait for the CR1 visa in Canada.

The I-130 could take about 6 months to be approved, depending on how fast the processing times are for the VSC which is where your case would be sent to. Ours was sent there and it tooks 6 months on the dot. Then, the NVC process can take a few more months, depending on how busy they are, how fast you send the docs, and whether all the forms and docs are ok. Then there is the wait for the embassy to schedule your interview. It's about a year process on average, from start to finish.

Can my spouse apply for the CR1 Visa, while I remain with him until my 6 months are up and return home (so I will be still in the US but as a visitor as I will return home before the 6 months). If he applies now, then that would be about 6 months and I can work in Canada for 6 months and take my extended leave at that time. This would allow there to be enough time for the CR1 to be processed.

This does not constitute legal advice.

This is great, thank-you. What is NOA? Notice of Approval? I have seen it mentioned on the site a few times. We are still going back and forth about what we want to do as I am working for the government and need to be back by April or May to work for a few months. At that time I will apply for an extended leave for two years. My fear is if I apply for the AOS, when I leave for the few months will that reflect negatively on my residency status when my two years for the conditional green card are up?

NOA stands for Notice of Action. It's a notice sent from the USCIS that action has taken place on the case. NOA1 is when they first accept the case and NOA2 is approval or denial. Generally if they need more info they will send an RFE OR request for evidence and state specifically what they want.

You can easily be in Canada for up to 180 days without it affecting your conditional green card or the ROC process. So a few months will not be an issue once you have the green card, however if you AOS you may have an interview you can't miss come up quickly so only you know how much notice your work requires for leave.

You can certainly do the CR1 process but keep in mind, like I mentioned before, long stays will not go over well with the CBP and you risk being denied entry. The denied entry doesn't negatively affect the CR1 process however it may mean you won't be able to visit the USA. Sometimes people just get a cranky CBP and have no issues the next day but sometimes they do. If you're flying you're also out the flight costs. Just something to think about.

Ypur spouse never applies for a visa. He sends the petition that starts the process.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Great! thank-you everyone.

I was in the exact same boat as you (including the government job, NEXUS, and unsureness of what I wanted to do) but follow my timeline and let me know if you have any questions!

K

Our Journey

-----------------

06.26.14 Preparing paperwork for AOS from B-2 (Visitor status)

07.01.14 Medical Complete

07.03.14 Sent package [i-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, I-693 (medical] via FedEx Ground.

07.08.14 (Day 1) Packaged delivered at Chicago Lockbox and signed off by SSOLISE

07.16.14 (Day 8) NOA1 received and Rejection notices for I-765, I-130 and I-485 due to address error

07.17.14 (Day 9) Re-sent package via Fedex 2-day priority with correct address

07.21.14 (Day 1 Again) Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox and signed off by J.Chyba

07.24.14 (Day 4) Received Text notifications and Receipt numbers at 2:30 AM EST for I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131) - Lesson learned!

07.26.14 (Day 6) Cheques cashed for I-130 and I-485. Mailed NOA's on the way

07.28.14 (Day 8) Paper NOAs received for I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131. The first two in Acceptance status and the last three in the review status.

08.03.14 (Day 14) Biometrics appointment set for 08/15

08.11.14 (Day 22) Biometrics walk-in successful

08.21.14 (Day 32) Case moved to 'Testing and Interview'

09.15.14 (Day 57) EAD Card/Document in Production

09.19.14 (Day 61) EAD Card Mailed

09.20.14 (Day 62) EAD Card Received!!!!!

09.22.14 (Day 64) Applied for SSN

09.29.14 (Day 71) SSN received

Timeline

I was in the exact same boat as you (including the government job, NEXUS, and unsureness of what I wanted to do) but follow my timeline and let me know if you have any questions!

K

Thank-you K! Will have to go to you as my resource!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.