Teddy B

‘Sweetheart’? C’mon, Charlie

23 posts in this topic

This sexist gaffe could cause real problems for Massachusetts Republican gubernatorial candidate Charlie Baker, especially seeing his opponent is Martha Coakley. I like this guy's fiscal policies and I will probably vote for him, but he needs some work in dealing with women.

“Charlie Baker has proven once again that he does not take women or their concerns seriously in this race. His dismissive behavior and condescending use of ‘sweetheart’ in response to a question from a well-respected female journalist is just another example of his blatant disregard for women.”

Yesterday, as Sacchetti attempted to ask Baker about the ouster of his media strategy firm, Baker told her, “Okay, this is going to be the last one, sweetheart.”

“Sweetheart?” Sacchetti replied.

“I’m kidding,” Baker said.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/columnists/jessica_heslam/2014/09/heslam_sweetheart_c_mon_charlie

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Other Timeline

If a word is used pejoratively then it doesn't really matter what the word is. Having said that, if that isn't indicative of not being able to work with women in a respectful way but is more his manner of speaking that is used more out of habit than anything, then it certainly shouldn't stop people from seriously considering his candidacy. It's not the worst thing in the world to call people 'sweetheart', it just could be indicative of more serious, underlying issues.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

wwhat? HoneyPieSugarBuns is more appropro, at least in the South.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

wwhat? HoneyPieSugarBuns is more appropro, at least in the South.

Obviously, you are not in touch with the south. The REAL south, that is.

Sweetheart, Darling, Sugar (or Sugah), Honey... all terms you may hear in your daily commerce. No one takes offense. It's just polite talk.

Filed: Timeline

Sweetheart, Darling, Sugar (or Sugah), Honey... all terms you may hear in your daily commerce. No one takes offense. It's just polite talk.

This is true. One gets referred to as sweetie or honey around here all the time. I'm not offended.

If the term sweetheart is sexist, then most everyone I know, both male and female are guilty as sin. :(

Time to find a new circle of friends? ;)

We all know however that sweetheart can be used in a demeaning and dismissive way, context is key.

Went a bit over your head, didn't it? ;)

May have done, not sure. I figured you meant it's no big deal. I agree, mostly when it's part of normal speech patterns it doesn't, but I was pulling your leg. I then decided that there was a serious point and made it. So, if not that, what did you mean?

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

May have done, not sure. I figured you meant it's no big deal. I agree, mostly when it's part of normal speech patterns it doesn't, but I was pulling your leg. I then decided that there was a serious point and made it. So, if not that, what did you mean?

It was more along the lines of ... if the women are saying it as much as the men, how can it be seen as sexist? :huh:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

It was more along the lines of ... if the women are saying it as much as the men, how can it be seen as sexist? :huh:

In the context of the way that Southern people use it, it can't, it's part of their speech pattern, they really don't mean anything negative by it at all and both sexes say it. However, that use of sweetheart is not universal, some men do use it pejoratively and it can be demeaning and dismissive.

I'll just forget I was trying to make a joke at your expense, it's clearly back fired spectacularly :rofl:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In the context of the way that Southern people use it, it can't, it's part of their speech pattern, they really don't mean anything negative by it at all and both sexes say it. However, that use of sweetheart is not universal, some men do use it pejoratively and it can be demeaning and dismissive.

I'll just forget I was trying to make a joke at your expense, it's clearly back fired spectacularly :rofl:

Listen sweetheart, how many times do you have to be told you are out of line.

Sweetheart, I love the way you make me laugh.

I don't recall ever seeing a politician refer to a woman as "Sweetheart, Darling, Honey or Sugar" during a live interview. Those types of names are unprofessional and can often be taken as sexist or demeaning in a business setting. Most guys I know save the cute nicknames for when they're with their significant others.