JoelyLeidy

Time to know each other

41 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

When your information passes through to NOA1, you'll get an approval because you haven't made any mistakes on filing your papers.

Um....wrong. NOA1 only means that they have received your petition and on the face of them you've included all the other necessary documents....and most important, you've sent the check.

When you get an approval to NOA2 it'll be because you've meet the requirements of having chat logs, having pictures, and meeting.

Wrong again, NOA2 means they've reviewed your documents, performed the background check and determined you both are qualified to move forward with the K-1. No determination is made regarding the validity of the relationship.

At that point between NOA2 and NVC is when the initial decision is made,

Wrong again. NVC only does more background checking, etc. No determination has been made regarding the relationship....that is soley in the Embassy's hands.

it'll be too late to send any extra evidence that you have to prove them otherwise. The packet will be shipped to the consular in her embassy and he will read what they have to say and base his decision off of that. IF their decision is not in your favor than you would have aimlessly spent all that time/money for nothing.

Yes there must be some sort of pre-decision forming in the CO's mind which will help them formulate what they are going to ask about at the interview. Some MENA countries are notorious (or famous, depending on what side you are on) at totally ignoring what takes place at the interview. The OP's country is not one of those.

Thats why I suggest doing all you can do before filing your papers.

And the more meetings and trips any couple can make together is great, don't get me wrong....but many can not make this happen and they get approved just as quickly.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hi John! This is what I heard from my lawyer in my personal experience, we needed to literally scramble all that we can get together to make sure they know that we haven been dating for 2 years. My lawyer told me that, although there are cases who have been approved and been dating a shorter time than my fiancé and I have, the longer you know each other before filing the i-129f, the better. The main reason I would suggest meeting her at least one more time before filing your i-129f is so that you can have more evidence because I'm fairly certain you might not have as much evidence as you need. A few pictures a two months worth of chat logs aren't that much compared to other people. What you do after you file the i-129f is good as well, but its not as substantial as what you file before. When your information passes through to NOA1, you'll get an approval because you haven't made any mistakes on filing your papers. When you get an approval to NOA2 it'll be because you've meet the requirements of having chat logs, having pictures, and meeting. At that point between NOA2 and NVC is when the initial decision is made, it'll be too late to send any extra evidence that you have to prove them otherwise. The packet will be shipped to the consular in her embassy and he will read what they have to say and base his decision off of that. IF their decision is not in your favor than you would have aimlessly spent all that time/money for nothing. Thats why I suggest doing all you can do before filing your papers.

You're a little mistaken. NVC decides nothing. They merely forward the USICS-approved petition to the consulate abroad.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Really? So do they make the initial decision at NOA2?

(L) Meike & Alex (L)

2nbu1cx.jpg

Got engaged :wub:(August 29th, 2014)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Click Spoiler to show i-129F K-1 Visa application processes

hgOf2QL.png?1

November 16th - Applied for SS Card
November 16th - Got marriage certificate

November 20th - Married!!! <3
December 9th - AOS package sent

December 18th - NOA's received for all three!!

December 21st - NOA1 hard copy in the mail

Dec 30th - Bio-metrics letter in the mail

Jan 12th, 2016 - Bio-metrics completed!!

Jan 15th - RFIEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 23rd - RFIE response mailed back
Feb 26th - RFIE response received
March 8th - EAD/AP APPROVEDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! (On my birthday too~)

March 16th - Card received in the mail~
May 17th - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!! NO INTERVIEW NEEDED

May 23rd - NOA approval in the mail

May 25th - Green card in HAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

Future ROC filing date: Feb 16th, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Really? So do they make the initial decision at NOA2?

The Notice of Action you get that informs you that you've been approved or denied aka NoA2 means that your petition is approved, not the visa. This means that you've met all the requirements necessary for the visa you're applying for, that they did not find the beneficiary or petitioner inadmissible, and that you filled out the paperwork properly.

The visa is issued at the embassy stage, after all the "leg work" e.g. background checks, income requirements, initial meeting, have been reviewed and approved. The interview is typically the "fail safe" where they hope to catch anyone who's inadmissible or potentially attempting to fraudulently trying to obtain a visa. The CO during the interview looks for flags and signs that the relationship is not genuine or bona fide, and will deny you if they feel it is not. They also run a more local background/criminal check and medical exam to ensure that the beneficiary is not inadmissible on those grounds.

So the CO often will go into the interview with an idea of whether or not the person will be approved off the bat, but their minds can be changed depending on the evidence the couple can present.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

No I'm well aware I need to go to the interview for my visa to be approved, I just was perviously told that they make an initial decision at the NOA2 stage that they give to they consular to base his questions off of and/or make his decision off of.

(L) Meike & Alex (L)

2nbu1cx.jpg

Got engaged :wub:(August 29th, 2014)

Click Spoiler to show i-129F K-1 Visa application processes

hgOf2QL.png?1

November 16th - Applied for SS Card
November 16th - Got marriage certificate

November 20th - Married!!! <3
December 9th - AOS package sent

December 18th - NOA's received for all three!!

December 21st - NOA1 hard copy in the mail

Dec 30th - Bio-metrics letter in the mail

Jan 12th, 2016 - Bio-metrics completed!!

Jan 15th - RFIEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 23rd - RFIE response mailed back
Feb 26th - RFIE response received
March 8th - EAD/AP APPROVEDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! (On my birthday too~)

March 16th - Card received in the mail~
May 17th - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!! NO INTERVIEW NEEDED

May 23rd - NOA approval in the mail

May 25th - Green card in HAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

Future ROC filing date: Feb 16th, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No I'm well aware I need to go to the interview for my visa to be approved, I just was perviously told that they make an initial decision at the NOA2 stage that they give to they consular to base his questions off of and/or make his decision off of.

No there is no initial decision made prior to the Embassy or any suggestion to the Embassy.

Just as the previous poster stated, that's the process that is followed.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

We met only once in person through the entire processing.

The first physical meeting was 1.5 months after we met,

and we filed for I-129F 2.5 months after we met.

Our ages are 10 years apart.

And other than usual waiting time, we had absolutely no challenges or glitches

in our processing.

We had prepared and gathered lots of relationship and financial evidence,

and most of them they didn't even ask for during the interview.

You visiting her 2 more times leading to the interview would be excellent.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions now,

so that you can build up strong evidence.

In addition to the usual, I also wired some money in 2 special occasions,

sent cards, made on-line purchases, made daily calls, etc.

to build up strong relationship evidence.

I wouldn't be overly concerned...but I would be very prepared with necessary

supporting evidences. I think in the end, you guys will be just fine.

Best of luck.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi John! This is what I heard from my lawyer in my personal experience, we needed to literally scramble all that we can get together to make sure they know that we haven been dating for 2 years. My lawyer told me that, although there are cases who have been approved and been dating a shorter time than my fiancé and I have, the longer you know each other before filing the i-129f, the better. The main reason I would suggest meeting her at least one more time before filing your i-129f is so that you can have more evidence because I'm fairly certain you might not have as much evidence as you need. A few pictures a two months worth of chat logs aren't that much compared to other people. What you do after you file the i-129f is good as well, but its not as substantial as what you file before. When your information passes through to NOA1, you'll get an approval because you haven't made any mistakes on filing your papers. When you get an approval to NOA2 it'll be because you've meet the requirements of having chat logs, having pictures, and meeting. At that point between NOA2 and NVC is when the initial decision is made, it'll be too late to send any extra evidence that you have to prove them otherwise. The packet will be shipped to the consular in her embassy and he will read what they have to say and base his decision off of that. IF their decision is not in your favor than you would have aimlessly spent all that time/money for nothing. Thats why I suggest doing all you can do before filing your papers.

The only requirements of the I-129F petition are that you are both free to marry, you both intend to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiance(e)'s entrance to the US with the K-1 visa, and that you have been together at least one time within the 2 years prior to filing the petition. There is no requirement for chat logs or other relationship evidence. They are not used to approve the I-129F petition. Those things are added in for the consular stage of the process, known around here as 'front loading'. The CO giving your interview will be able to see everything that was included with your petition to the USCIS, and it may help them to make a decision as to whether or not you have a valid relationship.

Nothing is decided by the NVC. The I-129F petition goes through the NVC quickly. It is received, assigned a case# and forwarded to the appropriate consulate. Very few are stuck at the NVC in AP. The CO at the consulate will make the decision as to whether or not you are eligible to receive the K-1 visa.

Some consulates have refused to look at evidence brought to the interview, but cannot deny the evidence that was already passed through the USCIS and is in your file. You should research reviews of the consulate you will interview at to know how much or little you need 'front load' your I-129F petition.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I have a question concerning this whole K-1 Visa process. We will have known each other for about 2 ½ months, and met once. We talk every day, and I am documenting all conversations since August 30,(we met in person between the 15th and the 20 of August). We are very good about making sure we talk about plans for our future etc, with purpose, though we did that in Bogota, in chat. The reason I bring this up, is I noticed, on the time lines, that from NOA 1 to Embassy approval, for Bogota, is about 6 months, which I didn't know it would be that fast! That will give us about 9 months total of knowing each other..Do they question, or has anybody had any issues with only knowing each other a couple of months before filing? is this a big issue for them, or a red flag?

Not sure about your country but Philippines..."Met" my wife on-line and chatted for 2 months. Went to meet her in person after 2 months, proposed after 4 days, married her after 3 more days. Filed for CR-1 once we got the wedding contract from government. 8 months passed while we waited for interview...I attended interview with her (allowed in Philippines) and 12 days later we flew to US together. I don't see a problem with 9 months. And as far as the age difference goes the CO had questions fer me because my youngest son was older than my new wife. Had I not been at the interview I am not sure how it would have gone. The co asked me more questions than my spouse. Age difference? I am 37 years older than my spouse. That might be a red flag in your country and it might have been for us in Philippines but me being at the interview I really believe made the difference. If you can attend her interview with her it might be a good idea. Even if you have to wait outside the embassy while she gets interviewed, in which case she can acrry your passport into the interview with her to show that you are outside supporting her. I have heard that this has helped some.

God Bless you both,

Aloha, David

28 years, from one of the OP's other topics. That, combined with getting married after knowing each other for only a very short amount of time, are two significant red flags that you may need to overcome.

This was not an issue for my spouse and I. I was 57 and she was 20 at the time of the interview. But perhaps my being there with her at the interview helped???

I WANT to go visit two more times after the I-129F is filed just to expedite the situation, But does the CO officer really care if those two visits are AFTER or before the petition is filed? It seems like it wouldn't matter as long as we were working on our relationship and toward marriage?

I think you'll be fine visiting after filing. Being at the interview could be key here...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I WANT to go visit two more times after the I-129F is filed just to expedite the situation, But does the CO officer really care if those two visits are AFTER or before the petition is filed? It seems like it wouldn't matter as long as we were working on our relationship and toward marriage?

i was worried just like you because my fiance visited just once and it was for 6days, we did not have any problem at the interview. All you need to do is to have enough evidence for ongoing relationship before the interview. though our age diff was 3yrs. best of luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.