zinger143

K-2 Visa, questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Ok, a few questions about the K-2 visa.

Once my fiancé’s case is sent to the embassy I see all the paperwork required for his K-1 visa. I understand his end of it all and what to do. I have read forums about the K-2 visa, but still am confused. It is not an option for them to travel together, it is not an option for them to file AOS together, I know it will cost us more in the end, but that’s the way it is. Here are my three questions:

1. What exact paperwork must I fill out for the K-2 visa?

2. Am I able to apply for both the K-1 and K-2 visa at the same time and do the interviews even if the K-2 visa is to travel at a later date?

My soon to be stepdaughter is only 12, so I understand she doesn’t need the biometrics or the interview, so it’s my hope I could apply for both so she has the visa in her passport and is ready to travel as soon as we send her the airline tickets.

3. IF SHE CAN NOT file at the same time, what would be the process to do her K-2 visa? Would she bring the papers to the embassy and arrange an interview or appointment when ready to travel so they stamp the visa in her passport?

My hope is the mom follows through with the letter allowing her to travel, we have a legal agreement for custody in their country, but now that they’re coming to the US the embassy requires a specific note from the mom and in theory that will happen. My only fear is that it may take the mom awhile to come around and they may not be able to file at the same time as I hope, so I am looking at what the process is exactly from other K-2 filers…. thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

No one has any ideas?

Make sure that his daughter is listed in 129f application form, no other form needed for k2,wether she will join at the same time or follow to join..if she will follow to join she will use the same case number and she has only 1 year after the k1 visa issuance to follow to US.every consulate has different policy.better email your consulate and ask for you to make it sure.goodluck ?

Edited by hardrockangel

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. What exact paperwork must I fill out for the K-2 visa?

You've listed ALL children on the 129f form, regardless of their ages and their immigration intents.

Then on the DS-160 form you will list only those that you wish to receive a K-2, and the type, To Join or To Follow.

2. Am I able to apply for both the K-1 and K-2 visa at the same time and do the interviews even if the K-2 visa is to travel at a later date?

Yes per above.

My soon to be stepdaughter is only 12, so I understand she doesn’t need the biometrics or the interview, so it’s my hope I could apply for both so she has the visa in her passport and is ready to travel as soon as we send her the airline tickets.

3. IF SHE CAN NOT file at the same time, what would be the process to do her K-2 visa?

You'd email the Embassy and arrange for her passport to be submitted to have the visa inserted.

Would she bring the papers to the embassy and arrange an interview or appointment when ready to travel so they stamp the visa in her passport? \

Email the Embassy for the exact timing.

My hope is the mom follows through with the letter allowing her to travel, we have a legal agreement for custody in their country, but now that they’re coming to the US the embassy requires a specific note from the mom and in theory that will happen.

This MUST happen or the child will not be given a visa.

My only fear is that it may take the mom awhile to come around and they may not be able to file at the same time as I hope, so I am looking at what the process is exactly from other K-2 filers…. thank you in advance!

It is suggested that this letter from the other parent is taken care of before any visa is petitioned. It is a deal breaker.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Take a look at the DOS K-1 FAQs for a general overview about the K2 visa process: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html

Many of your questions are embassy/consulate-specific, suggest that you contact them with your question, particularly your multi-question #3.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.