Joe_Thea

Loss of the original K1 packet

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My question is what do I do If I lost the Original K1 Fiance Visa packet. It was at my work and the cleaning crew must have thrown it away. We are currently waiting for our NVC # and I know where close to the end and now Im freaking out. Do we need the original? Or will NVC send the packet to Manila?

Are you talking your copy of the I-129F petition? Not needed.

USCIS sends the approved petition to NVC, NVC assigned the MNL # then forwards the case file to Manila.

Once you have your MNL # it is ROCK n ROLL time!!

For all things related to the Philippines, jump over to the forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

For details on the K-1 process in Manila follow the flashing arrow below.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Yes, you are correct. During my gal's K1 interview the CO did ask to see documents in her packet, even though the CO had our original packet in front of her. There should always be 3 copies made: one submitted, the petitioner keeps a copy and the beneficiary keeps a copy.

Best of luck!

What did the CO ask for from the I-129F?

Only requirements for the visa process are listed in the embassy instructions letter

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Only requirements for the visa process are listed in the embassy instructions le

Hank,

As you already know, the CO can ask [for] anything... My gal did the K1 in HK where she was an OFW. The process there was much easier and simpler than the Phil, no CFO, the medical was much easier, might have cost less (I don't remember), and there were a few other things that were easier and less fees. Also, no long lines at the US embassy for visa applicants. A chinese woman interviewed my gal first and I am sure it must have been a novelty item for her to interview a filipina in HK for a US fiance' visa. During the conversation my gal must have mentioned that we first met and emailed each other back in Dec. 2005. The chinese woman asked to see the first email we exchanged in my gals packet. The chinese woman had the packet that I submitted for the K1 but either was too lazy or just wanted to see if my gal had it with her. VJ does encourage that the petitioner make 3 (complete) copies of each petition..., and that is what I did.

I will add my gal had much less home sickness being an OFW for many years.

Timeline

Hank,

As you already know, the CO can ask [for] anything... My gal did the K1 in HK where she was an OFW. The process there was much easier and simpler than the Phil, no CFO, the medical was much easier, might have cost less (I don't remember), and there were a few other things that were easier and less fees. Also, no long lines at the US embassy for visa applicants. A chinese woman interviewed my gal first and I am sure it must have been a novelty item for her to interview a filipina in HK for a US fiance' visa. During the conversation my gal must have mentioned that we first met and emailed each other back in Dec. 2005. The chinese woman asked to see the first email we exchanged in my gals packet. The chinese woman had the packet that I submitted for the K1 but either was too lazy or just wanted to see if my gal had it with her. VJ does encourage that the petitioner make 3 (complete) copies of each petition..., and that is what I did.

I will add my gal had much less home sickness being an OFW for many years.

What happens in HK stays in HK ;)

An email between you two has no bearing on the I-129F petition process for showing evidence of having met in person within the past two year, but it would fall into the category of ongoing relationship evidence, and that is asked for the instructions letter, at least for Manila, I have no idea with HK as each embassy is different.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Only requirements for the visa process are listed in the embassy instructions letter

Hank,

I had some time to think about your question...

Are you trying to make a statement here?

What happens in HK stays in HK ;)

An email between you two has no bearing on the I-129F petition process for showing evidence of having met in person within the past two year, but it would fall into the category of ongoing relationship evidence, and that is asked for the instructions letter, at least for Manila, I have no idea with HK as each embassy is different.

Hank,

I will also ask the question here...

Are you trying to make a statment here?

Timeline

Hank,

I had some time to think about your question...

Are you trying to make a statement here?

Hank,

I will also ask the question here...

Are you trying to make a statment here?

The initial question was regarding not having a copy of the packet for the interview, your first reply stated - it is best to have a copy of the I-129F packet at the interview because in your case in HONG KONG (not MANILA) the CO asked for something you had put in the I-129F package.

So there are three things that drew my attention; 1) you stated the CO can ask for "anything", that is not true, the requirements are cleared listed in the instructions letter. 2) you didn't process in Manila - every embassy is different. 3) What you stated the CO asked for from the I-129F package was not a required document for the I-129F it is just something you added extra when you filed. What the CO asked for was relationship evidence and would be part of the visa application process.

One other thought - If your fiancee hadn't mentioned it the CO wouldn't have asked for it.

Not trying to pick on you, just want the OP to not stress and to know that a copy of the I-129F packet is not needed for the interview .. irregardless of what you stated.

- and good suggestion for the interview with the CO is "never DO-DO when DO will DO", meaning answer the questioned asked don't become "chatty Kathy" . ;)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

The initial question was regarding not having a copy of the packet for the interview, your first reply stated - it is best to have a copy of the I-129F packet at the interview because in your case in HONG KONG (not MANILA) the CO asked for something you had put in the I-129F package.

So there are three things that drew my attention; 1) you stated the CO can ask for "anything", that is not true, the requirements are cleared listed in the instructions letter. 2) you didn't process in Manila - every embassy is different. 3) What you stated the CO asked for from the I-129F package was not a required document for the I-129F it is just something you added extra when you filed. What the CO asked for was relationship evidence and would be part of the visa application process.

One other thought - If your fiancee hadn't mentioned it the CO wouldn't have asked for it.

Not trying to pick on you, just want the OP to not stress and to know that a copy of the I-129F packet is not needed for the interview .. irregardless of what you stat

- and good suggestion for the interview with the CO is "never DO-DO when DO will DO", meaning answer the questioned asked don't become "chatty Kathy" . ;)

Hank,

Thanks for your reply. The reason(s) I ask is because your original question was "answered" in reply #13, I just added some addition rhetoric to my gals situation in the reply that got this started. Would you like to enlighten me as to why VJ asks the petitioner the following?: (copied from the VJ website Guides for K1)

"IMPORTANT!

Make TWO copies of the entire package before you send it in. This includes the money orders too. You want to have a perfect replica of the package you are sending in. All Forms that you submit must be originals with original signatures. Supporting Evidence that you submit may be photocopies. Retain ALL original supporting Evidence since the USCIS has the right to check them by issuing an RFE (Request For Evidence). If you receive an RFE, follow the direction exactly, and make two copies of what you sent back. During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence."

To not have one of these copes present at the K1 interview is not logical, from my perspective anyways... I try to teach my college students to "always" be prepared..., but then again this is just me.

I will assume that the two (2) copies of the entire package is for the petitioner and the beneficiary.

Yes, I do believe that you are picking on me because your replies have came along late in this posting. Maybe I "spanked" one of your friends in one of my earlier replies.

Again, Hank, this, for a lack of a better word, "####### for tat" can go on and on for a long time. I do not think this posting is the place for it.

What VJ has in their "guides" is a general reference and does not apply to all situations. If you want to know what you should bring to an interview, you should be following an official source and not a peer generated guide. As was stated earlier, a copy of the I-129F petition is not needed. I didn't need it, and I'm sure many others that have went through USEM didn't need it as well.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I didn't need it. I brought it and they asked for nothing, just wanted some background on our relationship. I was present for the interview and I'm in Argentina though.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Zedayn says:

What VJ has in their "guides" is a general reference and does not apply to all situations. If you want to know what you should bring to an interview, you should be following an official source and not a peer generated guide. As was stated earlier, a copy of the I-129F petition is not needed. I didn't need it, and I'm sure many others that have went through USEM didn't need it as well.

Maybe you are correct. I guess that is why the word, "IMPORTANT!", was in red and CAPS. The self-proclaimed rockect scientist has spoken.

Zedayn says:

Maybe you are correct. I guess that is why the word, "IMPORTANT!", was in red and CAPS. The self-proclaimed rockect scientist has spoken.

First of all, I never said it wasn't important to not make a copy. I said it wasn't needed to bring that copy to the interview. You show me below where it says to bring a copy to the interview:

IMPORTANT!

Make TWO copies of the entire package before you send it in. This includes the money orders too. You want to have a perfect replica of the package you are sending in. All Forms that you submit must be originals with original signatures. Supporting Evidence that you submit may be photocopies. Retain ALL original supporting Evidence since the USCIS has the right to check them by issuing an RFE (Request For Evidence). If you receive an RFE, follow the direction exactly, and make two copies of what you sent back. During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence.

The last sentence "During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence." This is true, and which I said in an earlier post that you should bring the original supporting documents...not the entire petition...to the interview.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

First of all, I never said it wasn't important to not make a copy. I said it wasn't needed to bring that copy to the interview. You show me below where it says to bring a copy to the interview:

IMPORTANT!

Make TWO copies of the entire package before you send it in. This includes the money orders too. You want to have a perfect replica of the package you are sending in. All Forms that you submit must be originals with original signatures. Supporting Evidence that you submit may be photocopies. Retain ALL original supporting Evidence since the USCIS has the right to check them by issuing an RFE (Request For Evidence). If you receive an RFE, follow the direction exactly, and make two copies of what you sent back. During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence.

The last sentence "During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence." This is true, and which I said in an earlier post that you should bring the original supporting documents...not the entire petition...to the interview.

I stand corrected. No where does it state that the "entire packet" is needed at the [or any] interview. But, from a logical perspective, or viewpoint, why would a person have the copy and not bring it "just in case" it might be needed. My gal brought hers and in her case it was needed and avoided any additional interview/RFE that could have resulted or been required had she not brought her entire packet with her... And, you are also correct, many people have not needed the "entire packet," any original documents and/or supporting evidence, at any interview but many others have wished that they had brought the "entire packet" with them when original documents and/or supporting evidence was asked for and they did not have them and either an RFE was issued or an additional interview was needed.

Finally, you are also correct that "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this," for I am not a rocket scientist. I am just a college graduate who knows the value of doing his homework and being prepared. And, as a result of doing my homework and being prepared my gal did not have an interview for her AOS or ROC petitions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

IMPORTANT!

I stand corrected. No where does it state that the "entire packet" is needed at the [or any] interview. But, from a logical perspective, or viewpoint, why would a person have the copy and not bring it "just in case" it might be needed. My gal brought hers and in her case it was needed and avoided any additional interview/RFE that could have resulted or been required had she not brought her entire packet with her... And, you are also correct, many people have not needed the "entire packet," any original documents and/or supporting evidence, at any interview but many others have wished that they had brought the "entire packet" with them when original documents and/or supporting evidence was asked for and they did not have them and either an RFE was issued or an additional interview was needed.

Finally, you are also correct that "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this," for I am not a rocket scientist. I am just a college graduate who knows the value of doing his homework and being prepared. And, as a result of doing my homework and being prepared my gal did not have an interview for her AOS or ROC petitions.

No offense you two, but your debate is derailing the thread, and (in my humble opinion) creating a hostile tone. Perhaps this discussion would be better suited for the debate subforum?

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.