Trumplestiltskin

Are You an Internet Troll?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Are You an Internet Troll?

Yesterday I posted about a study that describes internet trolls as narcissistic, sadistic, and psychopathic. A lot of people commented about their own internet behavior, wondering if their provocative comments count as "trolling." (And judging by the comments that article received, some readers certainly qualify as trolls). Some people questioned if simply making a disruptive comment counted as trolling.

Fortunately, there is a technical answer to those questions!

In the same study from yesterday, the authors introduced a measure of someone's trolliness (that's my term, not theirs). They call it the Global Assessment of Internet Trolling (GAIT). Subjects in their study were shown these four statements:

1) I have sent people to shock websites for the lulz.

2) I like to troll people in forums or the comments section of websites.

3) I enjoy griefing other players in multiplayer games.

4) The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt.

The first three statements measure enjoyment and experience with trolling, and the last one measures how closely someone identifies with the trolling "culture."

Subjects were asked to rate how well each statement described them on a five-point scale from 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree). The average of a person's ratings for these four statements became their GAIT, or trolliness, score.

The main idea is that trolls are people who make comments to upset others because they find joy in upsetting people. It's not just that the comments are disruptive or provocative - it is that the poster makes them with the intent of enjoying the suffering of others.

I talked to one of the authors of the study, and she gave me some data you can use for comparison. Among people who make online comments, the mean GAIT score in their data was 1.47 (on a 1-5 scale), with a standard deviation of 0.78. Among everyone in their study (commenters and non-commenters alike), the mean GAIT score was 1.54 (basically the same).

Remember - 1 is the lowest possible score a person could get, since people are rating those statements on a 1-5 scale. Thus, most people are scoring quite low. According to the author, if your score is over 2.25 (roughly one standard deviation above the mean), that would be pretty high.

She also sent me one more interesting insights. When people had a GAIT score under 3, there was a mix of sadists and non-sadists. Once the GAIT score climbed above 3.5, everyone in that range was highly sadistic (according to other tests they administered).

So - want to know if you're a troll? Rate yourself honestly on those 4 statements, average your ratings, and you have a trolliness score. If it's over 2.25, you're trollier than a lot of people in the original study, and if it's much over 3, you're probably solidly in troll category.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/are-you-internet-troll

5.0, I get a higher score because of AA :devil:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A solid 3.5, maybe a 4 on days when I'm bored.

But most of it on a forum I frequent for serving/ex British military where that kind of humour is the norm

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

5.0, I get a higher score because of AA :devil:

I got a 0.0, that's because I'm Christian and we're better than perfect. :innocent:

Why this video has 500 millions hits and only 9 millions people on the earth? Must be illuminati!

- trolls on YouTube-.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Timeline

Why this video has 500 millions hits and only 9 millions people on the earth? Must be illuminati!

- trolls on YouTube-.

Only 9 million people on the earth? Last I looked - it was rather recently - there were more than 7 billion. Where did everyone go? What did I miss?