gearheadgeek

Seeking I-539 and reentry advice

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife's daughter and 5 year old son (wife's grandson) are visiting from Ukraine since May because of the bad situation there. Their five year visas have three years left. Their I-94s expire Nov 15. Daughter needs to go back to Ukraine and finalize her divorce. She has met a nice man here and he wants to marry her. We had grandson for six months two years ago.

My questions are:

1) We want to keep grandson here until his mother returns with an I-539 extension. Is that possible? He obviously does not read and write, so who should author the the I-539? What is a reasonable reason for requesting the extension?

2) How soon can her daughter safely return to the US without getting turned back at the POE?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

BTW, I never finished my timeline. Nadya has been here since 2007 and is a citizen now. These have been the best years of my life.

Carl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A few questions

IF the son is granted an extension, what will he do? I do not believe he can attend school so how will he learn to read and write (since you state that he cannot do either)

If the son's extension is not granted, who will accompany the son back to the Ukraine?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1) We want to keep grandson here until his mother returns with an I-539 extension. Is that possible? He obviously does not read and write, so who should author the the I-539? What is a reasonable reason for requesting the extension?

2) How soon can her daughter safely return to the US without getting turned back at the POE?

1. His Mother? Not sure how it works from where he is from but at 5 in the UK he would be going to School. Why is he not returning with his Mother.

2. There are no guarantees but a rule of thumb is stay out as long as you are in, at least.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

A few questions

IF the son is granted an extension, what will he do? I do not believe he can attend school so how will he learn to read and write (since you state that he cannot do either)

If the son's extension is not granted, who will accompany the son back to the Ukraine?

If granted, he will continue to play and enjoy himself. He is 5, so school is premature. Maybe pre-school or day care kind of thing. Not official school.

If granted, his mother would come back to get him in maybe six weeks. Or Gramma can deliver him if necessary.

Carl

Timeline

1. His Mother? Not sure how it works from where he is from but at 5 in the UK he would be going to School. Why is he not returning with his Mother.

2. There are no guarantees but a rule of thumb is stay out as long as you are in, at least.

No, five is too early here. We want to keep him here because of the situation in Ukraine. Mother will eventually return after finalizing divorce. At this point, they no longer have a home in Ukraine.

I was afraid out as long as in might be the case. If son can stay here, she has a reason to return earlier.

Carl

Timeline

So what is the longer term plan?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

That is the long term plan? Find an American husband as the solution?

Surely there are more logical ways to work on immigrating to the US other than depending on this woman to find a man for a green card?

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

Timeline

Surely there are more logical ways to work on immigrating to the US other than depending on this woman to find a man for a green card?

If there are better ways, I would like to hear them. Daughter-in-law and son have no place to live and no source of income in Ukraine. The mafia took their business, her husband joined the neo-nazis instead of looking for another source of income and as a result they lost their flat. I filed the I-130 for them a couple years ago, but they are still ten years away from getting green cards.

Carl

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

To the extent of finding an "American husband" for immigration purposes only is fraud and really won't fly well with officials. You did mention she had met a nice man and they intended to get married. I'm sure you're aware that if she enters the US with the intent to marry and adjust when she's in the US on a tourist visa, that would be fraud, also.

My heart goes out to you and your wife's daughter. Not an easy situation, for sure.

Edited by Snag

Timeline

To the extent of finding an "American husband" for immigration purposes only is fraud and really won't fly well with officials. You did mention she had met a nice man and they intended to get married. I'm sure you're aware that if she enters the US with the intent to marry and adjust when she's in the US on a tourist visa, that would be fraud, also.

My heart goes out to you and your wife's daughter. Not an easy situation, for sure.

Yeah, I know it is fraud, which means they would have to wait a reasonable time to make it appear less like fraud and cross their fingers. I have nothing agains the K-1 process - obviously that is how I brought my wife to the US, but that is rather difficult in this case with no place to wait and nothing to eat the time it takes for the K-1 process.

Thanks for the sympathy. It is a really ugly situation.

Timeline

Is there a Plan B?⛪

Timeline

Is there a Plan B?⛪

Not well developed. It would involve finding her a safe place to stay in Ukraine and sending her money to live on while USCIS processes a K-1 visa.

Carl

Unfortunately the way the US immigration laws are set up, there really isn't a more logical way for people to immigrate here.

Timeline

US Immigration?

Bearing in mind her situation what other Country could she legally move to?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.