DavenRoxy

Racists attack man just for walking thru their neighborhood

119 posts in this topic

I'll take a shot at it. I think that for a lot of black men it has become socially acceptable to spend time behind bars, in some cases even a rite of passage. I personally feel that if I were to be sent to jail I would miss out on all that life has to offer. I've raised my kids to have the same belief and that seems to keep us in line. I'm afraid that black youths maybe don't have the same incentives to stay out of jail, they seem to lack the vision of a future.

So who is to blame? My feeling is that putting the blame on white society is a very easy option, one that many take but blame isn't going to solve any problem let alone one as complex and deeply rooted as this problem. So personally I think trying to find the blame is a complete waste of time.

So how do you solve it? That's a big question huh? It's been asked for a long time. I have no idea if there is one true answer. I can tell you what I think the answers aren't. The answer isn't the federal government, finger pointing or blame. It's not looting and rioting and bad cops. I do think it has to start from the ground up and right now in this country its not happening. Racial divides in this country seem to be higher now than I can remember in my entire life. It's a doom loop and I don't see it ending any time soon. We all need to look inward on this one.

This is an honest answer. I respect that. The first part I agree with, but I also think that the issues within our society contribute to that. If it were as easy as doing the right thing and making it, more folks would do that. You have to ask yourself, why do some black men feel this way within their home? Because you have poor white people as well.

If you want to look at the reason behind the high proportion of black people who are incarcerated in the US today, you'd not have to go much further than poverty as a major contributory cause. However, if you start to go there, most people will take the easy route and suggest that of course the work is there but blacks are too lazy to work because there is so much money to be made being a career criminal or living off government handouts. Very few people will bother to ask themselves how easy it is to escape systemic poverty, how easy it is to just walk away form your community, family, home, how easy it is to find inherited wealth, of even the very small amounts that allows the middle class to access extended education, within the black community? Most people are too busy worrying about how scary young black men are, how scary, how lazy, how thuggish and they just don't have time to imagine that maybe, just maybe there is a historic problem that doesn't disappear just because white people 50 years ago decided to extend full citizenship to their black counterparts.

This is the part most people tend to overlook or flat out ignore.

That ain't the real world no matter where you go. There are rich, there are poor, there are good, there are evil. All we can do is the best we can with the hand we are dealt. I had to reach outside my family to make my way. That was my only choice. I am forever grateful to those who helped along the way and provided a little guidance. We can see what happens when our government tries to help the poor and second class citizens. The best directions I even had in life were those that pointed me to my own bootstraps and a goal of something other than feeling sorry for myself.

The answer should be to fix the problem. Not work around it. And no matter what you think, you being poor and me being poor are two completely different things.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

This conversation can't be had without both sides realizing which part they play in the debate.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

That ain't the real world no matter where you go. There are rich, there are poor, there are good, there are evil. All we can do is the best we can with the hand we are dealt. I had to reach outside my family to make my way. That was my only choice. I am forever grateful to those who helped along the way and provided a little guidance. We can see what happens when our government tries to help the poor and second class citizens. The best directions I even had in life were those that pointed me to my own bootstraps and a goal of something other than feeling sorry for myself.

I know of a place - the male female ratio is a bit off but if we can get rid of Gargamel then everything would be Smurferiffic.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

What's a debate? I don't think I've actually seen one at VJ.

I'm looking at houses right now in RI. When I get down there, I'm going to find you. I will hunt you down. And then after you feed me and we hang out a bit, I'm going to cut you :devil:

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I'm looking at houses right now in RI. When I get down there, I'm going to find you. I will hunt you down. And then after you feed me and we hang out a bit, I'm going to cut you :devil:

I'll make pork ribs, pork chops, smoked pork shoulder, ham and bacon.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I'll make pork ribs, pork chops, smoked pork shoulder, ham and bacon.

I hate you :ranting:

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

So you're one of those Muslims. :whistle:

Touche. :rofl:

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

the point is to strive for systems of social control that don't restrict a certain group's basic rights. of course my ideals aren't 'real world'. if i had to restrict myself to the state of things today, i'd be bum rushing i cop asking to get filled with bullets.

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't know. Do you know? I'm just looking at the facts and statistics that the black population in America is shown to have been convicted far more of violent crime than any other race. Because I'm a law and order focused person, I keep the crime separate from the reasons for someone committing it. First and foremost the black community has to get hold and accept these numbers and statistics and stop blaming them on everyone else. That might be a good start.

What makes sense to me is to assume that the skin tone you have has zero effect on your propensity toward violence. That said, there are cultural influences that can create a mood of violence. Generally speaking, oppression leads to violence. Most people who resort to violent acts are pretty desperate for one reason or another. It could be ideological desperation or economic desperation but often these go hand in hand. Individuals who resort to violence are generally emotionally desperate as well. People who are well set up, affluent are far less likely turn to violence as a cultural meme.

I think it's a terrible assumption to make that the black community is unaware of the numbers of incarcerated, or that they blame others for their personal situations. What is not in doubt however is that there is a historical legacy of suppression that no white community has ever experienced, no white community has ever been without representation, without power, without the means to create wealth. While it's nice to note that today, everyone in the US is afforded the same rights and in principal can move up the ladder, if you understand the current economic climate, you will also understand that the ability to move up the economic ladder is largely a myth. Very few people do move out of poverty into middle classes or from the middle classes into the bracket of wealthy/extremely wealthy. Of course, it can be done, it is done but not on a community wide basis. The black community as a whole is more impoverished than any other community except probably native Americans.

None of this is to say that there aren't poor white people who struggle with the self same issues. Of course there are, and, not surprisingly there is a greater than average chance of a white poor person ending up in jail than a white middle class or wealthy person AND middle class and wealthy people commit a different set of crimes that are largely seen as less of a problem even while these crimes can in fact involve enormous sums of money but they do not largely involve drugs or violence, so no one really takes much notice of these 'white collar' crimes outside of those directly affected.

So, in answer, I would say, there is no reason to suppose that there is any material difference between the black poor and the white poor as regards to their likelyhood to commit acts of violence, larceny or drug offenses. I expect if you actually broke crime statistics down by the economic position of the perpetrators, there would be very little difference between the propensity towards violence of white/latino/blacks and asians.

the father of my son, is my ex husband. i don't really consider him an ex husband because he was never a husband really to begin with. pardoned.

he has a record like most of my peers - of any color. that is another symptom of the overlying issue..more and more people coming of age can expect to have a record, since more and more people in this country are going to jail.

is there something about americans that we need more policing? we need jail time, probation more?

I don't know of any of my peers that have a record. Most were brought up in 2 parent homes, raised by parents who worked their butts off., and where not afraid to apply some belt leather to some behind, when it was called for . They did not allow their kids to roam the streets, an dress up like it was Halloween. If the kids got n trouble in school, they were in even more trouble at home. Also they did not have kids they could not afford, and grandma did not raise them. If any ever took Govt assistance it was for a short period, and it was something they were not proud of .

And first and foremost, they did not blame everyone else for their mistakes.

Maybe there is a correlation ? .

If you want to look at the reason behind the high proportion of black people who are incarcerated in the US today, you'd not have to go much further than poverty as a major contributory cause. However, if you start to go there, most people will take the easy route and suggest that of course the work is there but blacks are too lazy to work because there is so much money to be made being a career criminal or living off government handouts. Very few people will bother to ask themselves how easy it is to escape systemic poverty, how easy it is to just walk away form your community, family, home, how easy it is to find inherited wealth, of even the very small amounts that allows the middle class to access extended education, within the black community? Most people are too busy worrying about how scary young black men are, how scary, how lazy, how thuggish and they just don't have time to imagine that maybe, just maybe there is a historic problem that doesn't disappear just because white people 50 years ago decided to extend full citizenship to their black counterparts.

How is it that over 12 million illegal aliens can come to America with nothing and thrive, with no public assistance, no hand outs. Yet the excuse is black people commit crime because they live in poverty and can't get out. That's BS. Of course we will be told, it's because America hates black people, yet oddly enough the blacks that immigrate from Africa, also thrive.

this. the environment that profiling creates for the people being profiled, in addition to the attitudes that develop from enforcement. the law becomes unequal, depending upon the demographic one fits. profiling ultimately creates more problems than it solves. at a minimum it creates second class citizens.

If profiling is so evil, why was it developed as a useful science by the FBI ? why when they have a serial killer, do they bring in someone to profile the killer, and most of the time they are white.

If they are hunting a serial killer, why should they waste their time rumbling around the hood, or Korean town, just to prove they are not racist. Its absurd.

So why when they have a drive by , should they go out to the college and stop car loads of frat boys to prove they are not racist.