Headingbackhome

I-864 Domicile questions

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am new and just getting into the research phase. This forum is a great source of valuable information.

Is a letter from a good friend more than acceptable as the future domicile for the sponsor?

If the answer is "yes",
does the family member or friend have fill out any additional form?

is it advisable to have a lease/contract agreement with your friend?

Does monthly rent have to be included?

I have read that some people include air tickets as part of their domicile proof. Why would you buy them before getting knowing if you are getting the visa?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

There are many ways to show you're wishing to reestablish domicile in the US. I, for instance, have reopened a US bank account and renewed my driver's license. I'm having my parents type up a letter stating they'll employ my husband and me upon our arrival in the States. (They have a heating and air company) A letter from your friend can serve as a sort of affidavit, but the letter is all they'd need/want to see from your friend unless he/she also plans on being your joint-sponsor.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Thanks for you comment.

I have most of the required domicile proof since I have only been away 7 years except an actual principal residence.

That's why I am asking here if a proper letter from a friend will more than satify the I-864 requirement.

I am hoping there are folks checking in on this forum that have already gone through the process or know of others dealing with the same issue.

Timeline

Just keep in mind you aren't the only USC overseas who doesn't have a home back in the US to return to. Just have your friend mention in his/her letter, or your parents, whoever....that they're willing to host you under their roof until you can find a good deal on an apartment or house. It isn't required for you to have any sort of property or rental contract for you to prove you're going home.

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.

(IR-1 Journey):

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Before I got on VJ and got a bit more knowledge, I spoke to a recommended immigration lawyer and strongly suggested I return to the states and get a rental lease or buy a home. He never mentioned that there was ane alternative of staying with a family member or friend. I wondered if this was an oversight or he is not that competent.

Timeline

Not everything an immigration attorney says is necessarily true. He was probably just trying to guide you over the easiest path. However, for many spouses it's the least easy path to take as it means we have to say goodbye to our loved ones for an unknown amount of time. I'm staying where I'm at until my husband has his visa in hand. Maaaany people do the same as me. All you need is for someone to joint sponsor from the US and include in a letter that they'll let you stay with them until you find your own place.

Remember this: If it was required for you to already have found a home in the US then there probably wouldn't even be the option of Direct Consular Filing where citizens abroad can file at an embassy as long as they have a foreign residence permit valid for at least 6 months.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

All you need is for someone to joint sponsor from the US and include in a letter that they'll let you stay with them until you find your own place.

Are you saying that if someone writes a letter letting you stay with them that they become a joint sponsor. Does this mean that they would also have to fill out a I-864 form? If this is true, it might scare them into not doing it if they feel they might be responsible for the couple.

Edited by Headingbackhome

Timeline

Since you're living abroad and are going to be losing your source of income you have right now when you move to the States you're going to need someone to joint sponsor you anyway. The letter I'm talking about isn't required, but might shed some light on your situation for whomever is working on your case. In order for someone to joint sponsor you (you, as the USC spouse, will always be considered the main sponsor...if your income is insufficient then you require a joint sponsor) SO...you - the main sponsor - will fill out your own I-864 form and your joint sponsor (can be anyone living in the US, friend or relative, as long as they meet the income requirements) will fill out their own I-864 form and send it to you so you can include it in the packet. This Affidavit of Support filed by your friend is him/her saying that they help you to take financial responsibility for your spouse so they won't become a public charge.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

I am hoping more members can weigh in on my questions.

I am really distressed by the domicile issue. I have read where people with actual rental leases were denied. Of course given these are public forums, you can't no the whole truth.

Never the less, I am still worried that a letter of domicile intent may not be good enough.

If you have not already read about the domicile letter that is recommended on these forums, it can be found here: link. Like with the evidence of bona fide marriage, you will send multiple items that together help show the officer that you intend to take up residence in the US no later than your spouse's entry (or whatever the I-864 domicile language). It sounds as if you have many of these things already, so add them to this evidence mini-packet. The link might give you ideas of other things you might do to prepare - and show preparation - for your return to life in the States, such as the bank account that Stressed Out opened, or perhaps getting quotes from movers for your things.

I cannot say what is best to put in the letter from your friend, as I have not done one of these. (However, I imagine the answer will be to include either the details of your arrangement or any lease between the parties.)

You do not need a joint sponsor if you show that you can support your spouse to the required amount.

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

I did look at the link awaywego provided and typed up a letter and brought some documents. But, I wasn't ask for anything.

If you look at that link you can see if you have or will have any of those items.

I did look at the link awaywego provided and typed up a letter and brought some documents. But, I wasn't ask for anything.

If you look at that link you can see if you have or will have any of those items.

I have 8 of the maintain items listed. I also have additional ties,

SS#,

qualified for SS payments,

Medicare,

will wire funds to US bank,

filed and paid 3 years of US Federal income tax but not state or local.

voted in the last 3 federal elections.

I am retired with no children so I am not coming back because of a job nor am I looking for schooling for non existing children.

I wonder if I will still need a letter stating that we will a have place to stay until we find our own.

My address situation is a little confusing. I am using a relative's address as my permanent mailing address for the last 2+ years. I am registered to vote and have continue to vote as an absentee voter in another state, where I still have an active driver's license which I renewed last year when I visited the friend who allow me to use his mailing address for the 1st 5 years while I was abroad. Even if I get a letter from my relative to temporarily live with them, I plan to live in a different 3rd state.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.