Harpa Timsah

More British Muslims fight for Islamic State than Britain

50 posts in this topic

As someone who was an immigrant to the UK, I was never made to feel that in any way, shape or form that I would ever be British. It didn't matter that my whole life was there, that friends and family were British, that I spoke English, paid taxes, paid attention to politics, immersed myself in high and low culture, took part in its holidays and pastimes, cooked its food, read its literature and journalism, and on and on and on. In my head, I was British, but if I told people I felt that way, I was condescended to, patted on the head and laughed at. "Of course, you can never actually be British, you know."

On the other hand, my ex is getting ready to file his N-400. He feels American in his heart now, and has little to no emotional connection to the UK. When he tells people how he can't wait to become an American, they encourage him and think it's admirable.

Draw whatever conclusions you like from my anecdata.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline

As someone who was an immigrant to the UK, I was never made to feel that in any way, shape or form that I would ever be British. It didn't matter that my whole life was there, that friends and family were British, that I spoke English, paid taxes, paid attention to politics, immersed myself in high and low culture, took part in its holidays and pastimes, cooked its food, read its literature and journalism, and on and on and on. In my head, I was British, but if I told people I felt that way, I was condescended to, patted on the head and laughed at. "Of course, you can never actually be British, you know."

On the other hand, my ex is getting ready to file his N-400. He feels American in his heart now, and has little to no emotional connection to the UK. When he tells people how he can't wait to become an American, they encourage him and think it's admirable.

Did you live in an insular area? I didn't really have your experience, but I think you lived there a lot longer than me.

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Apparently being born in Britain and having a British passport that states you're a British citizen is not enough to be considered British. You must also pass the test of public opinion in order to be considered British!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quibbling about what they should be called instead of addressing the issue is just the kind of head-in-the-sand attitude I am worried about.

It seems too common to just say, "they're not really british" or "they are naughty children" instead of figuring out what in society is failing them so that it can be prevented.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Apparently being born in Britain and having a British passport that states you're a British citizen is not enough to be considered British. You must also pass the test of public opinion in order to be considered British!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think you'll find the problem recurring in most European countries, where the majority native population has been established for centuries.

The USA, on the other hand, managed to deplete the established natives rather efficiently, building the predominant "American" population from a variety of immigrant sources.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think you'll find the problem recurring in most European countries, where the majority native population has been established for centuries.

The USA, on the other hand, managed to deplete the established natives rather efficiently, building the predominant "American" population from a variety of immigrant sources.

Nobody in this Hemisphere speaks American - we speak English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese as the conquerors from foreign lands intended :)

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We have been told on this forum that it is just silly and a non issue to worry about this... No need for the British folks to get worried about it. at least 1,500 extremists are likely to have been recruited to fight in Iraq and Syria over the last three years. such a small number... The British population has been been disarmed and no need to bring jihad to the British cities.

Let's recap on what was actually said Vs. the fantasy you have cooked up in your head.

I have told you that *I* am not worried about being the victim of a violent extremist. That's because I don't think it's healthy to live in fear. It certainly doesn't mean that British Muslims fighting for ISIS isn't an area of concern. It is something that needs to be understood and prevented.

And let's see... your continued suggestion for a solution involves people getting guns. Out of fear. That's effing brilliant that is :rolleyes:

Timeline

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I read that in the other thread and I didn't really understand why it was even being discussed. British or English, it doesn't much matter what their nationality is on a piece of paper and it doesn't change the fact that they are from the UK.

Timeline

However, if you have a British passport it states clearly you are British and that is something nobody can take away from you. Having said that, I find it rather odd that my English friends only consider themselves as the 'true British' and superior to the others, since they are the ruling country in the union. In their opinion, The Scots, Welsh and Irish, for reasons of language, culture or ideology could never be considered British, for the lack the necessary commitment to the monarchy.

Nobody in this Hemisphere speaks American - we speak English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese as the conquerors from foreign lands intended :)

True...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

However, if you have a British passport it states clearly you are British and that is something nobody can take away from you. Having said that, I find it rather odd that my English friends only consider themselves as the 'true British' and superior to the others, since they are the ruling country in the union. In their opinion, The Scots, Welsh and Irish, for reasons of language, culture or ideology could never be considered British, for the lack the necessary commitment to the monarchy.

When I lived in the US I regarded myself as British, because being away from home creates a sense of nostalgia.

Most people around here would probably call themselves English. Personally I've always been British first, English second. To me, being English doesn't have much meaning.

Timeline

I read that in the other thread and I didn't really understand why it was even being discussed. British or English, it doesn't much matter what their nationality is on a piece of paper and it doesn't change the fact that they are from the UK.

The point is that if one were to admit there are British terrorists it would somehow cast a shadow on the entire kingdom. It reminds of a line from a movie or TV show that goes like '...an English gentleman would never dream of dying in the house of his host, mush less a host he hardly even knew!' [paraphrased]

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

When I lived in the US I regarded myself as British, because being away from home creates a sense of nostalgia.

Most people around here would probably call themselves English. Personally I've always been British first, English second. To me, being English doesn't have much meaning.

I also should mention that some of the younger generation refer to themselves as 'European' plain and simple, in recognition that together Europe is far stronger than the sum of its individual parts.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

The point is that if one were to admit there are British terrorists it would somehow cast a shadow on the entire kingdom. It reminds of a line from a movie or TV show that goes like '...an English gentleman would never dream of dying in the house of his host, mush less a host he hardly even knew!' [paraphrased]

The facts are the facts at the end of the day - they are British.

Of course, it should probably be pointed out also that there are a fair few Americans fighting for ISIS as well. Quite a few Americans fought for Al Qaeda. Every house has a few nuts in it.

Edited by Hail Ming!