Harpa Timsah

Woman shoots grandson; thought he was an intruder

109 posts in this topic

This was unfortunate. I think the majority of people would be better served by an alarm unless they live in a very dangerous neighborhood.

One of the most reasonable and sensible statements I've seen since I started posting here. :thumbs:

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

As a society we are not responsible for what they do but we become accessories when we shrug because it was not our child who was molested, or a woman we know who was raped, etc. Yes, because these individuals you cite do not exist in a vacuum. What I am saying is the opposite of what you propose. I am not proposing we blame someone else, because blaming someone after the fact won't bring back the dead. I am saying we are responsible for finding ways to prevent these 'accidents' from happening.

Yea, so as a society we're responsible for pedophiles, violence against women, drunk drivers, tax evaders, corporate fraud, political corruption, bestiality, subway perverts, rapists, drug addicts, etc etc. People aren't responsible for anything they do, it's always someone else's fault. Pass the blame, take no responsibility for your own actions. Everyone is a victim.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

As a society we are not responsible for what they do but we become accessories when we shrug because it was not our child who was molested, or a woman we know who was raped, etc. Yes, because these individuals you cite do not exist in a vacuum. What I am saying is the opposite of what you propose. I am not proposing we blame someone else, because blaming someone after the fact won't bring back the dead. I am saying we are responsible for finding ways to prevent these 'accidents' from happening.

You said you don't blame it on idiots. Anyone that does what this grandmother does is an idiot. The problem lies with the grandmother, not me, not you, not the NRA or anyone else. Why not take the same passion and include cars and alcohol too? How many suffer due to alcohol abuse? How many die due to drunk drivers? Is the drunk behind the wheel the problem or is it the car? Is the person consuming the alcohol the problem or is it the bottle sitting on the package store shelf?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

That is one of the great fallacies the NRA sells when they say guns don't kill people. The problem in fact is neither the gun not the individual, it is the combination of both.

Alcohol is not a problem, neither are automobiles. Drunk driving however is a problem.

You said you don't blame it on idiots. Anyone that does what this grandmother does is an idiot. The problem lies with the grandmother, not me, not you, not the NRA or anyone else. Why not take the same passion and include cars and alcohol too? How many suffer due to alcohol abuse? How many die due to drunk drivers? Is the drunk behind the wheel the problem or is it the car? Is the person consuming the alcohol the problem or is it the bottle sitting on the package store shelf?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I'd say this incident is the fault of the person who fired the gun and shot the little boy. I'd imagine the woman feels horrible about it, as she should.

However, there is also a degree of collective responsibility as well.

For example, whenever you hear about a mass shooting, the suggestion for preventing similar acts always seems to involve more guns (including handing them out in schools). You tend to hear the same justifications too - everything from constitutional freedoms being worth breaking a few eggs, to euphemisms like how a gun is a 'seat belt' for walking the streets.

No one is prepared to admit that the proliferation of firearms in this way might have unintended consequences, like creating a climate of fear that results in a grandmother shooting a little boy in the dark because she thinks he's a burglar.

Of course it's the fault of the woman. She has her grandson sleeping in her house and hears a noise and the thought doesn't enter her mind that it might be the 7 years old getting up during the night so she fires through her bedroom door? I'm sure she'll feel terrible for the rest of her life and in many ways her life will be a living hell. But accidents like this are easily prevented with a touch of common sense.

I don't think gun ownership is for everyone. It is a tremendous responsibility. And there are people who own guns who aren't ready for or capable of accepting that responsibility. I have no doubt that something like this shooting is an unintended consequence of gun ownership, but it is easily prevented and shouldn't happen as often as it does.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd say part of the problem is the gun lobby and the supporters of it who promote the idea that society would be better off if more people had guns and if the people who already have guns have even more guns. Often in the light of horrible tragedies.

That is one of the great fallacies the NRA sells when they say guns don't kill people. The problem in fact is neither the gun not the individual, it is the combination of both.

Alcohol is not a problem, neither are automobiles. Drunk driving however is a problem.

A gun will not harm anyone without human interaction. A car sitting on the dealers lot that never moves will cause no accidents. The human is the one who makes the mistake, not the inanimate object. The NRA has nothing to do with it. Common sense does.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I'd say part of the problem is the gun lobby and the supporters of it who promote the idea that society would be better off if more people had guns and if the people who already have guns have even more guns. Often in the light of horrible tragedies.

I think gun ownership is a choice, not something that people should be coerced into. I know people who shouldn't own guns, just as I know some who shouldn't have children.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

A gun will not harm anyone without human interaction. A car sitting on the dealers lot that never moves will cause no accidents. The human is the one who makes the mistake, not the inanimate object. The NRA has nothing to do with it. Common sense does.

That is what I said. The problem is not the gun on its own or the individual alone. The problem is the combination of both, a combination we enable, facilitate and condone by looking the other way, until of course, it gets too close to home.

I don't like guns, don't drink alcohol and I walk pretty much everywhere so they can ban them all. : :D:

But then again, the solution it not ban it altogether. There have to be measures in place to ensure that one's 2nd amendment doesn't infringe on another's right to life and liberty.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

That is what I said. The problem is not the gun on its own or the individual alone. The problem is the combination of both, a combination we enable, facilitate and condone by looking the other way, until of course, it gets too close to home.

Right, but you want to ban guns but cars and alcohol are ok. At least be consistent.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Right, but you want to ban guns but cars and alcohol are ok. At least be consistent.

Do you?

Consider the following:

The absence of light is not necessarily darkness.

'Not white' doesn't mean black by default.

You can divide 24 hours in more than just day and night.

The absence of peace is not war.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Where have I ever even remotely said anything about banning guns? I'm for educated and responsible gun ownership.

I highlighted it in red in your original post.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org