Harpa Timsah

Woman shoots grandson; thought he was an intruder

109 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As a society we are responsible for those who get hurt by unfit gun owners

parents, teachers, car drivers etc etc

Lots of responsibility, I am going to have to lay down.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Take a safety course and find out.

Is that where you learned that people who don't think shooting things that go bump in the night don't care about their families?

People who have taken these courses told me that saying "Who's there" is a big mistake and will get me killed!

Brb, the doorbell is ringing, I'm scared! Might be an intruder!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Is that where you learned that people who don't think shooting things that go bump in the night don't care about their families?

People who have taken these courses told me that saying "Who's there" is a big mistake and will get me killed!

Brb, the doorbell is ringing, I'm scared! Might be an intruder!

That does not sound like a safety course.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You are deflecting about this"safety course" rigamarole.

The issue is, should people be ready to shoot anything that goes bump in the night? Should people dream about how they need to shoot intruders? People on here say that asking who is there or waiting a second to assess the situation is bad. They say that shooting someone running away is good, because that person was in their sacred castle.

I say that's bunk.

You say "oh, safety course, responsibility, family!" That is deflection.

I am not talking about gun control or banning cars. I am talking about the current state of discussion about "home invasion" and how it is harmful.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

You are deflecting about this"safety course" rigamarole.

The issue is, should people be ready to shoot anything that goes bump in the night? Should people dream about how they need to shoot intruders? People on here say that asking who is there or waiting a second to assess the situation is bad. They say that shooting someone running away is good, because that person was in their sacred castle.

I say that's bunk.

You say "oh, safety course, responsibility, family!" That is deflection.

I am not talking about gun control or banning cars. I am talking about the current state of discussion about "home invasion" and how it is harmful.

If you have to pull the trigger no matter what happens after you will end up in a world of pain, from what I understand many of the advanced courses concentrate on the legal issues.

Filed: Other Timeline

Sounds like some gun owners advocate safety courses being mandatory. Lots of people would be on board with that. Sad truth is, that those who buy into the idea that living in the US is a scary place that requires gun ownership to make them safe, don't buy into the idea that courses of any description are necessary or desirable and they are certainly not mandatory so guess what? Accidents like this one, lots and lots of accidents like this one. Who knew?

If you have to pull the trigger no matter what happens after you will end up in a world of pain, from what I understand many of the advanced courses concentrate on the legal issues.

Thank you for some sense.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Sounds like some gun owners advocate safety courses being mandatory. Lots of people would be on board with that. Sad truth is, that those who buy into the idea that living in the US is a scary place that requires gun ownership to make them safe, don't buy into the idea that courses of any description are necessary or desirable and they are certainly not mandatory so guess what? Accidents like this one, lots and lots of accidents like this one. Who knew?

There is nothing a safety course would do to prevent stupid.

Filed: Timeline

Of course you'll pass on learning something about gun safety. , it's much better to make idiotic statements than learn. I'm quite rational, I'm not on the fringe like some of you.

I learned about gun safety in the military. Don't need some gun aficionado to teach me that.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't. There is nothing idiotic about those who pander to the fears of others and market guns to them. They are making a bundle of money and couldn't care less about the number of deaths by GSW in our country.

It is easy to recite the mantras of the NRA and other groups and pretend we have nothing to do with it. As a society we are responsible for those who get hurt by unfit gun owners. As a society we enable them and look the other way hiding behind the constitution and pretending it has nothing to do with us.

Absolutely.

Filed: Other Timeline

There is nothing a safety course would do to prevent stupid.

No. But, there is a body of thought that suggests that because firearms are primarily weapons, there should be some limits on ownership. One of those limits could and should be a mandatory requirement that new gun owners should attend classes to learn basic firearm safety and responsibility, including the legal implications of opening fire on other human beings. As a bare minimum, this could prevent a goodly number of accidents in the home. Would that not be better than shrugging shoulders and dismissing the accidents as merely the actions of stupid people who can't be prevented from doing stupid things with firearms in order to be able to claim that the US is better because everyone (almost) can buy a gun without restriction?