jmango4

After NOA2 .. working, traveling

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if these basic questions I'm about to ask have been answered already many times over. I just don't know where to look on this site for the answers and am hoping someone can respond/point me in the right direction on here or elsewhere.

I am still waiting for the NOA2 (received NOA1 in early April from TSC and just got transferred last week to California) but would like to know if there is any action my fiance can take in the meantime regarding working and traveling documents for after he arrives here. He (like everyone else) would like to be able to work and travel back home to visit for the holidays after he comes here. What I am wondering is what the best and quickest way of achieving this is: does he file right away for permission to work and travel through whatever forms those are and whatever fees they charge for them, or does he just file for adjustment of status after we marry? Do they both take the same amount of time anyway? Also, after we marry can he work and travel anyway while he is waiting for adjustment of status?

I am very confused about this portion of it. I am hoping that maybe we can send some paperwork ahead of time to make it possible for him to work and be home for the holidays. Does anyone have any experience here/knowledge they can share about what the quickest path is for working and traveling?

Thank you!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hi the answers you're looking for are here http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

He won't legally be able to work until you guys file for his EAD (working authorization). Traveling requires an advanced parole visa( its optional if he isnt in a rush to go back home to visit; No rush= no need to file , just wait for green card). You can file these and his I-485 AOS aka green card after y'all are married with the marriage certificate. Its best you file all three together. I-485 is most important. And I believe that most people recieve their EAD before they even have their interviews for the i-485. In the the mean time he can go to school or take classes to keep him busy.

And sorry to say it just a waiting game all over again ( currently go through it) Good luck with everything.

Edited by majikgenie

:rolleyes: A.O.S

July 03, 2014-- Mailed Out AOS Documents: I-485 & EAD
July 07, 2014-- Delivered
July 10, 2014-- Text & Email receipt received

July 10, 2014-- I-485 transfered to Nebraska service center

July 15, 2014-- Both NOAs received. PD: July 10

July 19, 2014-- Biometrics Appt. Notice received. Notice Date: July 15

Aug 01, 2014-- Bio Appt.

Sept. 04, 2014-- EAD approved

Sept. 10, 2014-- EAD card received

Oct. 18, 2014-- "Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received . Notice Date: Oct 15

May 20, 2015-- Approval Email and text received

May 27, 2015-- Card in hand!!

(L) The Journey (L)

Oct. 29, 2013-- Sent I-129F
Nov. 07, 2013-- Receipt text received
Nov. 08, 2013-- Notice of Receipt (NOA1) in mail PD: Nov. 06
Nov. 08, 2013-- Alien Registration Number was changed
Dec. 16, 2013-- Received Email of Approval
Dec. 19, 2013-- Shipped to NVC email
Dec. 23, 2013-- NOA2 hardcopy received
Dec. 30, 2013-- NVC received
Dec. 31, 2013-- NVC assigned case #
Jan. 07, 2014-- Left NVC
Jan. 11, 2014-- Letter from NVC via mail
Jan. 10, 2014-- Consulate received case
Jan. 29, 2014-- Emailed embassy case inqery
Feb. 11, 2014-- Packet 3 via email response
Feb. 25, 2014-- Packet 3 dropped off to Haiti Messenger
March 14, 2014-- Picked up Packet 4
April 08, 2014-- Interview/Approved!!!! :dancing:
April 16, 2014-- Visa in hand
April 18, 2014-- My Baby's Home (F)
(L) June 01, 2014-- Married!! (L)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thank you!! So it's best to file for the I-765 employment form and the I-131 travel doc immediately after we marry to ensure he is able to travel while everything is being processed, right?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Yes, you can file the 765 and 131 forms together with the 485. They won't cost anything extra as long as you file them together with the 485 (AOS), they do not cause any other 'delays' in the process, so you might as well get 'em!

Once you receive the EAD (I-765 form) , he can legally work.

Once you receive the AP (I-131 form), he can travel back and forth.

Once you receive the green card (I-485 form), which usually takes a LOT longer, all is well, and the (combined) EAD/AP card is no longer needed.

SEP-1994 First met! 12-16-14 POE PHILADELPHIA

05-25-14 Engaged (what took us so looooong!!!?) 12-19-14 MARRIAGE (SIMPLE)

06-19-14 I-129F packet sent to Lewisville Lockbox (USPS overnight) 01-05-15 I-485 (AOS/EAD/AP) package mailed out

06-20-14 USPS messed up, and had to re-route! 01-12-15 NOA text/email received for AOS/EAD/AP

06-23-14 I-129F packet received at Lockbox 02-03-15 Biometrics (Indianapolis)

06-23-14 NOA1 Notice Date (routed to CSC, yay!) 04-07-15 EAD and AP approved, card ordered

06-25-14 NOA1 text/email received 04-14-15 EAD/AP Combo Card received by certified mail.

06-26-14 Check Cashed 06-15-15 Received letter about interview waiver. 6mo to go!

06-27-14 Alien Registration Number changed 08-06-15 Welcome Notice mailed, permanent status registered.

06-30-14 NOA1 hardcopy received 08-14-15 Green Card mailed to me.

09-24-14 NOA2 text/email received *APPROVED* 08-18-15 Green Card (which is green!) in hand!!

09-28-14 NOA2 hardcopy received

10-15-14 NVC received 05-17-17 Time to start ROC !

10-16-14 NVC case number assigned

10-21-14 NVC left (to Amsterdam Consulate)

10-23-14 Consulate Received

10-25-14 PACKET-3 Received (regular mail)

10-25-14 Online DS-160 submitted **** I am the Beneficiary (Fred) ****

10-27-14 Sent reply to Consulate (arrives 10-28)

10-29-14 Touched *** If you have questions about the K-1 journey coming

11-01-14 PACKET-4 Received (regular mail) *** from The Netherlands, send me a message !

11-26-14 MEDICAL *PASSED*

12-04-14 INTERVIEW *APPROVED*

12-06-14 Touched (Administrative Processing)

12-08-14 Touched (Ready)

12-09-14 Touched (Issued)

12-10-14 Received email that package was sent off

12-11-14 VISA IN HAND

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

In the the mean time he can go to school or take classes to keep him busy.

No. As discussed elsewhere on this site, he has no right to work, take classes, travel, or anything, until after he receives his EAD/AP or GC, whichever happens first. Please see this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/320552-k-1-visa-how-to-go-to-school/

Edited by kehills

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam.-based AOS Process Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS-related processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, you can file the 765 and 131 forms together with the 485. They won't cost anything extra as long as you file them together with the 485 (AOS), they do not cause any other 'delays' in the process, so you might as well get 'em!

The fees for the I-765 and I-131 are waived when filed with a pending I-485. This can be concurrently or after the I-485 is filed. If after, you include a copy of the receipt notice from filing the I-485.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Follow this guide for AOS > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

The fees for the I-765(EAD-work authorization) and I-131(AP-advance parole for travel) are waived when filed with a pending I-485, so include both of those too. It takes about 60-90 days to receive the EAD/AP combo card, which will allow you to work(along with an SSN) and re-enter the US when traveling abroad while waiting for the green card approval.

You need all the supporting documents for each form as well, so read the instructions for each one. You can also search here on VJ for what to include with each form if you get stumped. There are also example forms here on VJ you can look at when filling out the forms. They can be helpful.

Oh, and here are the details you need about whether or not you need to see a civil surgeon > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

Print out your I-94 info > https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

Follow this guide for getting the SSN > http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

If you have a job offer, you can ask for expedite of the EAD >>

Here is a helpful post by a VJ member about how to get an expedite because of a job offer > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/453753-how-to-request-to-expedite-your-ead-based-on-a-job-offer/

Another person that was granted an expedite and references the first post I linked by Anna Grant > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/471073-got-an-approval-for-my-expedited-i-765-ead/

And another successful expedite > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/495278-i-765-ead-expedite-successful-experience-with-job-offer/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.