T&T&T

How do you get married in HCMC: how long does it take and how much does it cost?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just browsing through this post as I was kindle curious how others did it. 

In my marriage to a Vietnamese woman in Vietnam it didn't really cost all that much (maybe 200-300usd in fees?)

I did have to prepare various documents in the states in order to do this however. First and foremost is the Single Status Certificate, Notarized, and then Sealed but the Secretary of State (SOS). This is *important* as they will not accept the document unless it has been sealed by the SOS. It really seems like an unnecessary step as the seal is only to affirm that the notary was in fact genuine and registered at the time. There were 2 other documents that I had to get sealed, but I forget what they are now. I believe they can be found on the Vietnam Embassy in San Francisco website.

Thereafter I flew to SGN and went to my Fiance's hometown to the local registrar to apply for and register the marriage application. In doing so we had to return to HCMC to do the mental health evaluation. At all steps of the way under the table money (although shunned by Americans, but loved by Vietnamese) was given. As an american I'm not all-to kosher with the idea of giving bribe money, but at the same time the way it was explained was that it was time saving, and time is money. Fortunately our relationship is genuine and these bribes led to easing our future dealings with that registrars office. For example, when our son was born, instead of having to go to the registrars office and register him in person we were able to do everything over the phone with couriers in between to deliver documents. Saved a bunch of time, sweat, and traveling. As any foreigner visiting vietnam knows, its hard asf to communicate with them as English is not a language as universal as we would want it to be in Vietnam. Most locals will just look at you, without response and walk away if you talk to them in English.

The marriage certificate was made available to us about 3 days after filing, and we went to the office to execute the certificate and received 2 copies stamped and sealed from them. Although we weren't the first marriage application to be submitted there, we were the first marriage to be certified in her hometown for the year 2016! Officially marriage certificate No. 1 in that registrars books. In part thanks to the secretary hearing our request for expedite, and a little coffee money.

I hope this helps.

Our Timeline:

Met the woman of my dreams: 7/5/2014

Married the woman of my dreams: 1/18/2016

First child with wife born: 6/6/2016 (yay!)

K-3 to CR-1 Visa Processing:

4/11/2016:   I-130 Sent

4/13/2016:   NOA1

8/26/2016:   NOA2

9/20/2016:   NVC Receipt 

10/4/2016:   NVC Case # Assigned (My birthday woohoo!)

10/4/2016:   Submit DS-261 

10/5/2016:   DS-261 / AOS / IV Bill Recieved
10/6/2016:   Paid AOS & IV Bill

10/7/2016:   Send AOS & IV Package 

12/15/2016:  CC @ NVC 

12/28/2016:  P4 Received 

12/9/2016:   Interview Date Received for 2/9/2017

2/9/2017:     Interview Result: Approved

2/14/2017:   CR-1 Visa Received (Visa in Passport)

2/21/2017:   US POE Entry @ LAX

*Sarcastically* Trucking along thanks to the dedicated and hardworking individuals at the NVC. Brings me delight to finally be able to say, the light at the end of the tunnel is near.

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2014 at 9:34 PM, PnD2014 said:

Question for future reference because it came up in conversation elsewhere, that might be helpful to others.

Do you have the wedding ceremony BEFORE or AFTER applying for the marriage certificate at the local justice office.

If you are filling out the I-29F don't marry that person in there Country. I made this mistake. My I-129F was denied for my Wife. I had to restart over. What a drag also it put stress on us both. 9 months waisted. So, I had to fill out the I-30 paperwork. Now it's March 12, 2017. I finally got the first fee paid. We are currently doing paperwork with National Visa Center. Soon my Wife will come. 

For your information I married my Wife before I got the marriage Certificate. We were married March 22, 2015, but I had to go back to Vietnam; end of April 2016. We got our Marriage Certificate May 20, 2016, just before I left back to USA. We had her. Attorney do all the work for us. 

Though, it depends on you if you want to do the wedding ceremony BEFORE or AFTER it is up to you. Wish you lots of Good Luck. Andrew. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Timeline
On 5/29/2014 at 9:25 AM, T&T&T said:

Getting married in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I am sure the procedures are similar but vary in other provinces.

First I would obtain a marriage application packet from the Department of Justice located at 141-143 Pasteur St., Ward 6, Dist.3, HCMC, (Cost 15,000 to 30,000 VND). You can buy the application in a small office to the right of the parking lot. They can also recommend an interpreter for your interview if you don't speak Vietnamese. On the inside cover of the packet there is a list of the documents you will need for you and your fiancée.

1. Document showing you are single and eligible to get married.

a. USC can present their passport at the US consulate to obtain an affidavit of single status. If previously married you will need an authenticated copy of a divorce decree or death certificate for each marriage. Currently the charge for notarizing the affidavit is fifty dollars. Same day service. Take the affidavit of single status to the Office of Foreign Affairs located at 6 Alexandre P Ben Nghe Q 1 HCMC. It will take 3 - 5 days for the Foreign Affairs office to stamp your affidavit. You can also use a marriage search letter from you home state, however in Ho Chi Minh City the Office of Foreign Affairs rejected my letter from the state of Kentucky. They require the affidavit of single status from the consulate because they are familiar with this form.

b. VNC can present their National ID Card and Family Book to the People's Committee in the district in which he/she lives to obtain a Martial Status letter. Divorce decrees from previous marriage/s are required. Approximate cost 20,000 VND and it can take up to two weeks or more to receive the letter. Your fiancée can obtain this document before you arrive in Vietnam which will save you time if your time is limited.

2. Identification:

a. USC can obtain certified copies of their passport from the People's Committee in district 1 located at 47 Lê Duẩn street. Same day service. They are not expensive buy several.

b. VNC can obtain certified copies of their family book and national identification card from the same location. They are not expensive buy several.

3. Mental health evaluation:

a. Both applicants can obtain their mental health evaluation at: Bệnh viện Chợ Quán 179 Bến Hàm Tử Đông - Tây 1st Ward, District 5. The cost for the evaluation is 800,000 VND for next day service or 1,200,000 VND for express same day service. You will need 4 photos of each applicant measuring 4x6cm. Don't be surprised if you are asked for "coffee money". I think 100,000 VND should do.

4. If the USC is living in HCMC you will need a letter from the police station in the district which you live showing you have registered with the police. If you do not live here and are staying in a hotel you will need to get the hotel to register you with the police and obtain a stamped copy.

Once you have your documents take them to the Department of Justice (location in item 1 above) to be submitted. (Cost 1,000,000 VND). One passport type photo of each applicant measuring 3x4 cm. will be attached to the application when submitted. When you submit the documents you will be scheduled for an interview. We had to wait 10 days before our interview.

If you do not speak Vietnamese you will be required to bring an interpreter to the interview with you. You can use one recommended or choose one on your own. Make sure the interpreter knows that the interviewer can speak English and if they do not translate for you accurately they will dismiss the interpreter and your interview will be rescheduled. I hired a travel agent for 500,000 VND.

At the interview you are proving that your relationship is bona fide. Take a timeline, photos, receipts for gifts, chat logs, copy of emails, etc. anything you think will help you prove the relationship is real. ("Coffee money" to the interviewer is recommended-- 500,000 to 1,000,000 VND should do)

If your interview is successful you will be given a date to return to pick up your marriage certificate. Be sure and order a dozen translated, certified, copies of your marriage certificate when you pick up the original. It will take 10 days but they can be delivered by mail.

All prices quoted are from a year ago, they could have changed. I hope you can use this as a guide but depending on your case times could vary. Remember the consulate is closed on American holidays and the Vietnamese offices are closed on their holidays.

I wish you happiness and good luck.....

Excellent & valuable information to my son's inquiry.Thanks a lot and I hope the information is still valid up to present time even there might be some variations/changes.....

I heard about : thu tuc dau tien ( tien dau?)= preliminary procedure steps a long time ago....

I believe that "coffee money" is still preserved until now in HCM city but "tea money" is much preferred in Ha Noi ....... Just my guess !!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to get the mental health evaluations done in the USA? Where would I go for that?

I am attempting to have my fiance turn in the paperwork and get an appointment date prior to coming to Vietnam.

Thanks for the advice

Current Timeline:

08/26/2020 - Mailed via USPS the form i-751 to Az address

08/28/2020 - Delivered to USCIS

09/02/2020 - Photo Album was rejected and returned.

09/12/2020 - CC payment taken.

09/13/2020 - Received text msg with the Receipt #

09/25/2020 - Received i-751 NOA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ngyeu78 said:

Is it possible to get the mental health evaluations done in the USA? Where would I go for that?

I am attempting to have my fiance turn in the paperwork and get an appointment date prior to coming to Vietnam.

Thanks for the advice

No, and don't sweat it.  It's nothing to worry about.  You'll need a medical check and that is part of it.  

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

10 minutes ago, Anh map said:

No, and don't sweat it.  It's nothing to worry about.  You'll need a medical check and that is part of it.  

I am curious how does those places that charges $500 for the marriage certificate gets the mental health done without the need for me to fly back to VN.

Current Timeline:

Timeline

Wedding party is just that.  If you have a church ceremony that's ok too.  You will be legally married when you sign the book at the city/town hall.  Everything can be before or after.  

Single status is an affidavit at the Consulate.  But you need to schedule an appointment and those go quick.  Get that sorted in the US though you will need a VN translation.  Takes a day or so in Saigon (near Diamond Plaza) or at the VN embassy in DC (or your country).

Medical is nothing great.  I'm sure agents get docs to fill them out and sign for a bit of cash.  

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, Ngyeu78 said:

Thanks for the advice

@Ngyeu78You can have your Mental Health done in the USA; as well as Vietnam. Though, if you get it done in USA; it is very hard in USA; because; you will have to get Notarize {at the bank} though, the Notary {at the Bank} will not be present at the Doctor's office. I tried it and this failed.

So, the best advice is to  have the mental health evaluation done in Vietnam. My advice is that you get a lawyer in Vietnam; this will speed up the process for your marriage certificate and mental health evaluation. Have the lawyer set up the appointments for your marriage certificate and mental health evaluation. This way it is a lot faster then doing it on your own. with a lawyer it will cost you some money though, it is worth it. It's faster with a Lawyer then it is to do it on your own. Here is a website you will need. Go to Website: http://vietnamconsulate-ny.org/consular-services/legalization-document-marriage-registration Print out each page hand write everything. Take it with you to Vietnam; if you wish to get a lawyer in Vietnam; to do all the hard work that is the best thing to do. You will get your marriage certificate in two weeks. Though, be prepared to spend money. $350.00 USD for marriage Certificate, and maybe around $50.00 USD; for the Mental Health Evaluation. Be prepared to do it all in one day. If you need any more advice I been through, this already. My Wife; will be here from Ho Chi Minh City, Saigon, Vietnam. She, will be coming in 6 weeks in USA. Oh! I miss her so much. I went to Ho Chi Minh City, Saigon; Vietnam; April 28 through May 25, 2016. It was a blast. I stayed almost a whole month with my Wife. Though, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. A. James.     

Timeline

it was so easy to get a mental health evaluation  in Vietnam.  No need for a lawyer,  the doctor asked me my Mother's name, my birthday, My name and okay, pay and come back in three days and get certificate or pay more money and get it tomorrow.   

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-04-14 Transferred to CSC

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Received DS-261/AOS bill

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Mailed AOS Package

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-9-14 UPS documents to NVC

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

9-8-14 interview---- approved

@James AThanks

@T&T&T Looks like I will be doing that as well.

I am a bit confused on something in regards to the paperwork though. I had my wife go to her "So tu phat" where she was born to find out what was needed to get the marriage certificate with a foreigner. I also have seen the list of documents to filled out and doc required to turn in to the embassy of VN in Wash DC.

My question is: I am guessing I need to submit all of my documents to the Embassy in Wash DC first before bringing it with me to Vietnam to turn into the so tu phat in her region. How do I get mental evaluation if I did that? Or do I only need to have them turn into the So Tu phat in her region only?

Current Timeline:

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, Ngyeu78 said:

@James AThanks

I am a bit confused on something in regards to the paperwork though. I had my wife go to her "So tu phat" where she was born to find out what was needed to get the marriage certificate with a foreigner. I also have seen the list of documents to filled out and doc required to turn in to the embassy of VN in Wash DC.

My question is: I am guessing I need to submit all of my documents to the Embassy in Wash DC first before bringing it with me to Vietnam to turn into the so tu phat in her region. How do I get mental evaluation if I did that? Or do I only need to have them turn into the So Tu phat in her region only?

You do not need to submit your documents to the Embassy in Washington DC. Print it out then fill it out. Take it to Vietnam; with you. Once you have all the documents with you then go get an mental evaluation done first. Then you will go get the marriage certificate. Once you get the Marriage Certificate {I remember it is a place where they make plans to build buildings} not sure what it is called. Once you get the Marriage Certificate make a appointment with the U.S. Embassy over in Vietnam; where ever you may be. Show up with the Documents and it's an easy process. Though, only you will be able to go inside the American Embassy. My Wife; could not come inside with me. Ask her, if they have a place where they register Marriage Certificates in Tu phat, Vietnam. Though, you need first a mental Evaluation done at the hospital that only Certified people can do it. I know it is a little confusing. Though, when I did all this it was all in one day because; my Wife; had an Lawyer do it all for us and it was all set up. It only took one day. If you are going to do it then it may take a little longer. Just find out where they do Mental Evaluations at which Hospital for American's that are getting a Marriage Certificates. I have a question. Are you filling out the I-129 F or the I-130 as a spouse? Please let me know as soon as you can. I have enclosed a photo of where they register Marriage Certificates in Ho Chi Minh City, Saigon, Vietnam. Hope your Girl will be able to read it and translate it for you. This is where I got my Marriage Certificate received_453750898168070.jpeg.047a53f30a507eb53a951ce529b37f4a.jpegand it was not to far from the American Embassy.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, Ngyeu78 said:

@James AThanks

You will need 12 pictures that show the size on the papers that you are filling out. They have to have 6 of you and 6 of her. Also; you when you take your Mental Evaluation you will need your Father & Mother full name. Your Father & Mother Birthdate and write on the back of the paper in front of them. Just some tips. A. James.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 1:15 AM, James A said:

You do not need to submit your documents to the Embassy in Washington DC. Print it out then fill it out. Take it to Vietnam; with you. Once you have all the documents with you then go get an mental evaluation done first. Then you will go get the marriage certificate. Once you get the Marriage Certificate {I remember it is a place where they make plans to build buildings} not sure what it is called. Once you get the Marriage Certificate make a appointment with the U.S. Embassy over in Vietnam; where ever you may be. Show up with the Documents and it's an easy process. Though, only you will be able to go inside the American Embassy. My Wife; could not come inside with me. Ask her, if they have a place where they register Marriage Certificates in Tu phat, Vietnam. Though, you need first a mental Evaluation done at the hospital that only Certified people can do it. I know it is a little confusing. Though, when I did all this it was all in one day because; my Wife; had an Lawyer do it all for us and it was all set up. It only took one day. If you are going to do it then it may take a little longer. Just find out where they do Mental Evaluations at which Hospital for American's that are getting a Marriage Certificates. I have a question. Are you filling out the I-129 F or the I-130 as a spouse? Please let me know as soon as you can. I have enclosed a photo of where they register Marriage Certificates in Ho Chi Minh City, Saigon, Vietnam. Hope your Girl will be able to read it and translate it for you. This is where I got my Marriage Certificate received_453750898168070.jpeg.047a53f30a507eb53a951ce529b37f4a.jpegand it was not to far from the American Embassy.

Thank you so very much for your advice. I am filling out the 130 form and she will fill out 130A.

I understand filling out the forms and bringing it with me. Then go get mental health evaluation. You said bring marriage certificate to US Embassy in HCMC. I am confuse.. marriage certifcate of ours? How do I get this before US embassy? Also I did acquire the Certificate of NO-marriage from the State I was in to show I have not been married from 20yr old to present.

Edited by Ngyeu78

Current Timeline:

Also how much money did you spend? Cost of Lawyer is ? Any other fees?

Current Timeline:

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, my fiancee and I are just starting this process. I wont be flying back there until July.. but we want to have everything ready. Thank you so much for this detailed post. It answered a lot of my questions. It seems I just need to get affidavit of single status and medical exam before scheduling interview. But I am seeing that some process 3-5 days and then 10 days before the interview. I don't have this much time there... I also see it is vastly expedited if we get a lawyer. Does anyone else think this is the best route? How much would this cost in HCMC and does anyone have someone they recommend? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.