SimonBelgium

Building Credit Score - Tips & Tricks

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I'm interested how long does it takes for credit history to start to build up, I'm on my husband's credit card for more then month, and got my own credit card today (to my surprise), though still can't register on Credit karma, because my information is not recognized yet.. So when I should be able to start tracking my history?

If CK recognizes your SSN, you're good to go. It took about 2 months after I got my SSN and first CC.

There will not be a credit file for you until a financial institution reports on it. Hence the 2 months.

On a side note, early on your credit score will be high (700 or so), but you should get a loan ASAP (a secured loan is great actually), which is a more trustworthy creditline when you're looking into getting a mortgage or carloan.

Most lenders like to see 12 months on those, and then you'll be acceptable for most financial institutions.

Takes time but the advice on here was worth it!

Good to hear :)

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

• 1 month later...

Here's my experience thus far that may help:

My husband arrived on an F-1 student visa and we married after completely his first summer semester (he's an overachiever). I immediately added him as an authorized user to all of my credit cards knowingly full well that we'd not only need that for AOS purposes, but also for building his credit score. He received his EAD/AP combo card at the end of the year and once we returned from our holiday we had him apply for his SSN. The card literally arrived in the mail a few hours ago and I immediately contacted American Express, USAA, and Citi Bank to update his information with his new SSN. USAA was accomplished online and the other two phone calls to Amex and Citi were quick and painless. However, when I called Chase to add him to my Chase Freedom card they informed me that "he didn't need a SSN in order to be an authorized user." I replied, "I understand that because he has been an authorized cardholder for the last 9 months or so without a SSN. I'm asking that you now please do add his SSN so that the credit history can be properly reported to the credit bureaus." The agent insisted that they do not do that for authorized cardholders and that the only SSN associated with the account was mine. I informed him that I just did this with Amex and Citi without a problem and further elaborated as to why this is important for building credit score purposes. However, he simply would not budge and said, "Those are two different companies that conduct business in different manners than Chase. Additionally, there is no field for me to input this information even if I could." I wanted to post my experience here to see if anyone else received that response from Chase or if I should call back later with a different representative.

I wrote a full detailed account of our AOS process, timeline, AP use, and interview on my blog. You can read it here.

Read our experience clearing immigration with an expired green card and extension letter here.

F-1 AOS Journey

Spoiler

10/05/15 - Mailed AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-693, I-131, I-765, G-325As, G-1145)

10/07/15 - AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/15 - Received four NOA1s via e-mail & text notifications that USCIS received our case. Routed to National Benefits Center for processing

10/15/15 - Checks cashed

10/19/15 - Received four hard copies of NOA1s in the mail

10/23/15 - Received biometrics appointment in the mail. Scheduled for 11/03

10/26/15 - Failed early walk-in attempt for biometrics at Boston location

11/03/15 - Biometrics appointment in Boston

11/10/15 - AOS case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/21/15 - EAD/AP approved

12/24/15 - EAD/AP mailed

12/30/15 - EAD/AP delivered

03/17/16 - Interview scheduled for April 20th

04/20/16 - AOS Inteview - Boston, MA - APPROVED!

04/25/16 - Approval notice received in the mail

04/26/16 - Green card mailed

04/29/16 - Green card delivered

ROC

Spoiler

02/20/18 - Mailed I-751 Package

02/23/18 - I-751 delivered to CSC

02/28/18 - Check cashed

03/02/18 - NOA1 received in the mail

05/12/18 - Notice that previous biometrics will be reused

08/24/18 - Received 18 month extension letter (courtesy copy)

10/22/18 - Received the "revised notice" with the correct 18 month extension letter--on green paper this time.

02/27/19 - Card mailed notification via Case Tracker mobile app

03/01/19 - Both approval letter and new green card delivered

N-400

Spoiler

03/02/19 - Filed N-400 online

03/02/19 - NOA1 via online portal

03/09/19 - Biometrics scheduled

03/12/19 - Biometrics appointment appeared in Documents tab in online USCIS account

03/13/19 - Successful early walk-in for biometrics 

11/13/19 - Interview

Seizetheglobe.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I am just wondering... if I was to use AMEX's Global Transfer from the UK to the US, would I be able to keep the UK AMEX that I used as the basis for my transfer to the US? It'd be shame to lose having a UK AMEX for when I return home every few months after receiving AP. I understand that my question is about the UK but presumably this might be similar for other countries too hence why I'm posting here more generally.

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

Timeline

Hi all

I am just wondering... if I was to use AMEX's Global Transfer from the UK to the US, would I be able to keep the UK AMEX that I used as the basis for my transfer to the US? It'd be shame to lose having a UK AMEX for when I return home every few months after receiving AP. I understand that my question is about the UK but presumably this might be similar for other countries too hence why I'm posting here more generally.

Simon.

You should be able to keep your UK Amex, yes. Unless they start a fuss about billing address and such. I closed my foreign account separately from getting my US one.

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

Wonderful - indeed, I was told this today when looking through the application. I found it eventually but there is a line that reads: "If you wish to keep your existing Card, you will continue to be billed any annual fees you are currently paying." [source here] This implies that one could possibly keep the card.

Another question - do you think that I would be able to apply for the card before I leave for the US on a K1? I could provide all the details of where we'll be living, etc.

Similarly, I have two AMEX cards - one with a higher credit limit but which hasn't been used for the past few months. One with a lower credit limit which is used more regularly. Do you think it matters which one I would use as the basis of my Global Transfer application?

Timeline

Another question - do you think that I would be able to apply for the card before I leave for the US on a K1? I could provide all the details of where we'll be living, etc.

Similarly, I have two AMEX cards - one with a higher credit limit but which hasn't been used for the past few months. One with a lower credit limit which is used more regularly. Do you think it matters which one I would use as the basis of my Global Transfer application?

No, you need an SSN

It doesn't matter which card, as long as you have used it for more than 1 year.

• 7 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi There,

I've got an excellent credit score in my home country of Scotland, and would be able to get my credit report from Experian UK before moving over to marry my fiance! Is it worth bringing a copy of this, or does it not really make a difference about your credit score back home?

Thank you

Yasmin

:wub: Immigration & Expat Blog Links :wub:

My Full K1 Fiance Visa Journey

January 2017 Filer

K1 Approved on the 30th of June 2017 (6.5 months in total, no RFEs).

AOS Journey 

October 2017 filer

EAD/AP Approved December 2017 (75 days, no RFEs)

AOS Approved 8/15 (no RFEs) 

Living in the US

Info on getting set up

wedding planning

homesickness & everyday life

Timeline

Hi There,

I've got an excellent credit score in my home country of Scotland, and would be able to get my credit report from Experian UK before moving over to marry my fiance! Is it worth bringing a copy of this, or does it not really make a difference about your credit score back home?

Thank you

Yasmin

US banks or credit bureaus won't care about it at all.

However, if you bank with a credit union, which is usually a fairly small institution, one of the managers there may take that into consideration in decisions regarding credit.

• 5 months later...
On 2/6/2016 at 1:05 PM, Sean and Kristina said:

Here's my experience thus far that may help:

My husband arrived on an F-1 student visa and we married after completely his first summer semester (he's an overachiever). I immediately added him as an authorized user to all of my credit cards knowingly full well that we'd not only need that for AOS purposes, but also for building his credit score. He received his EAD/AP combo card at the end of the year and once we returned from our holiday we had him apply for his SSN. The card literally arrived in the mail a few hours ago and I immediately contacted American Express, USAA, and Citi Bank to update his information with his new SSN. USAA was accomplished online and the other two phone calls to Amex and Citi were quick and painless. However, when I called Chase to add him to my Chase Freedom card they informed me that "he didn't need a SSN in order to be an authorized user." I replied, "I understand that because he has been an authorized cardholder for the last 9 months or so without a SSN. I'm asking that you now please do add his SSN so that the credit history can be properly reported to the credit bureaus." The agent insisted that they do not do that for authorized cardholders and that the only SSN associated with the account was mine. I informed him that I just did this with Amex and Citi without a problem and further elaborated as to why this is important for building credit score purposes. However, he simply would not budge and said, "Those are two different companies that conduct business in different manners than Chase. Additionally, there is no field for me to input this information even if I could." I wanted to post my experience here to see if anyone else received that response from Chase or if I should call back later with a different representative.

Chase told us this as well - and this card appears on his credit reports. So somehow they are able to report without the social. 

K1 Visa Application:                                                                                                                                                        Timeline for AOS
129-F Delivered: Lewiston, TX 10/29/2015                                                                                                                 AOS paperwork (including EAD & AP) sent via Express Mail: 10/1/2016
NOA1 eNotification: 11/3/2015 (Sent to CSC - yay!)                                                                                                 AOS paperwork received by USCIS: 10/3/2016
NOA1 Hard Copy: 11/8/2015 | NOA2 eNotification: : 11/30/2015 | NOA2 Hard Copy: 12/4/2015                   NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 10/5/16, ~11pm Central time, one notice for each application
NVC Received: 12/10/2015 | NVC Case Assigned: 12/11/2015                                                                             Check Cashed: 10/6/16
Mailed to Embassy: 12/16/2015 (Status shows as Ready)                                                                                     NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 10/11/16
Received hardcopy Letter from NVC: 12/19/2015                                                                                                     Biometrics Letter Received: 10/28/16
Embassy Received Packet: 12/21/2015                                                                                                                      Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/9/16 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day)
Email from Embassy for Beneficiary Email: 12/24/2015                                                                                          EAD approved on: 11/16/16 (early in the day) / AP approved on: 11/16/16 (late in the day)
Replied to Embassy: 12/24/2015                                                                                                                                  AP produced+mailed on:11/18/16 | AP letters (2) received on: 11/18/16
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 3: 12/28/15                                                                                                 EAD card produced+mailed on: 11/22/16 | EAD card received on: 11/25/16
Replied to Embassy: 12/28/15 (at night)                                                                                                                     Social Security card application date: 11/28/16 | LOST IN THE MAIL
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 4: 12/29/15 (in the morning)                                                                    Social Security card received on: 12/27/16 (Ordered a new one at the office on 12/19/16)
Interview Date: Jan 13th @ 12:30pm - Approved!                                                                                                      Interview Waiver! (6 months and 2 weeks past the first NOA1)
CEAC status changed to admin processing: 1/14/16                                                                                                Card Ordered notice (text and online): 4/19/17
CEAC status changed to issued: 1/19/16                                                                                                                     I-485 Approval notice (text and online): 4/20/17
US travel docs website shows "out for delivery": 1/20/16                                                                                          Card Produced + WILL Mail notice 4/27/17
Called by courier regarding delivery attempt: 1/21/16                                                                                                Card Mailed notice: 5/2/2017
Passport in hand:1/22/16 (he went to their office to pick it up) | Arrival date into the US: 3/09/16                    Green Card Received: 5/5/2017 
Married: 06/04/2016
Timeline for ROC
ROC paperwork sent via Express Mail: 1/24/2019
ROC paperwork received by USCIS: 1/28/2019
NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 2/4/19
Check Cashed: 2/6/19
NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 2/11/19
Biometrics Letter Received: 9/20/19 (Did not need biometrics)

Biometrics Letter Received: 10/25/19 (Biometrics Request)

Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/5/19 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day) 

Biometrics Review Completed: 11/6/19 (Processing I-751) - Online notice

Our story so far - My husband arrived here in March 2016 and I added him as an authorized user to the one card that allowed it without a SSN - Chase. He got his Social in December 2016 and I added him to my two other cards. By the end of January he appeared on all three credit agencies and had a score that almost matched mine (all ~800). We monitor his score with credit karma and it has slowly risen every week. He will apply for a  motorbike loan in April and we will see if they will let him be on a mortgage with me in May. I'll update when we hear more news. But for sure - anyone who wants to build credit - get added to someone's cards. Despite what some may say, it clearly works. 

K1 Visa Application:                                                                                                                                                        Timeline for AOS
129-F Delivered: Lewiston, TX 10/29/2015                                                                                                                 AOS paperwork (including EAD & AP) sent via Express Mail: 10/1/2016
NOA1 eNotification: 11/3/2015 (Sent to CSC - yay!)                                                                                                 AOS paperwork received by USCIS: 10/3/2016
NOA1 Hard Copy: 11/8/2015 | NOA2 eNotification: : 11/30/2015 | NOA2 Hard Copy: 12/4/2015                   NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 10/5/16, ~11pm Central time, one notice for each application
NVC Received: 12/10/2015 | NVC Case Assigned: 12/11/2015                                                                             Check Cashed: 10/6/16
Mailed to Embassy: 12/16/2015 (Status shows as Ready)                                                                                     NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 10/11/16
Received hardcopy Letter from NVC: 12/19/2015                                                                                                     Biometrics Letter Received: 10/28/16
Embassy Received Packet: 12/21/2015                                                                                                                      Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/9/16 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day)
Email from Embassy for Beneficiary Email: 12/24/2015                                                                                          EAD approved on: 11/16/16 (early in the day) / AP approved on: 11/16/16 (late in the day)
Replied to Embassy: 12/24/2015                                                                                                                                  AP produced+mailed on:11/18/16 | AP letters (2) received on: 11/18/16
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 3: 12/28/15                                                                                                 EAD card produced+mailed on: 11/22/16 | EAD card received on: 11/25/16
Replied to Embassy: 12/28/15 (at night)                                                                                                                     Social Security card application date: 11/28/16 | LOST IN THE MAIL
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 4: 12/29/15 (in the morning)                                                                    Social Security card received on: 12/27/16 (Ordered a new one at the office on 12/19/16)
Interview Date: Jan 13th @ 12:30pm - Approved!                                                                                                      Interview Waiver! (6 months and 2 weeks past the first NOA1)
CEAC status changed to admin processing: 1/14/16                                                                                                Card Ordered notice (text and online): 4/19/17
CEAC status changed to issued: 1/19/16                                                                                                                     I-485 Approval notice (text and online): 4/20/17
US travel docs website shows "out for delivery": 1/20/16                                                                                          Card Produced + WILL Mail notice 4/27/17
Called by courier regarding delivery attempt: 1/21/16                                                                                                Card Mailed notice: 5/2/2017
Passport in hand:1/22/16 (he went to their office to pick it up) | Arrival date into the US: 3/09/16                    Green Card Received: 5/5/2017 
Married: 06/04/2016
Timeline for ROC
ROC paperwork sent via Express Mail: 1/24/2019
ROC paperwork received by USCIS: 1/28/2019
NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 2/4/19
Check Cashed: 2/6/19
NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 2/11/19
Biometrics Letter Received: 9/20/19 (Did not need biometrics)

Biometrics Letter Received: 10/25/19 (Biometrics Request)

Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/5/19 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day) 

Biometrics Review Completed: 11/6/19 (Processing I-751) - Online notice

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 21/02/2016 at 6:08 PM, simonschus said:

Wonderful - indeed, I was told this today when looking through the application. I found it eventually but there is a line that reads: "If you wish to keep your existing Card, you will continue to be billed any annual fees you are currently paying." [source here] This implies that one could possibly keep the card.

Old topic, I know, but I am in this boat at the moment. Have had UK AMEX for about 2 years now with quite a decent credit limit. I wish to get a US AMEX when I move over to the US under a K-1 visa, but my question is, do they require employment details in order to get the US AMEX ? Obviously on a K-1, I am unable to work for a good few months until I get my EAD at least ?

In 2015, I had no credit history but I got my first cc (visa signature) thru my credit union bank with $5k limit. We have a car loan and I'm a co-signer. This year, I applied for an AMEX and got approved with 10k limit. When the AMEX cc got reported to my credit, my bank increased my first cc's limit to 9k. It probably helped that my paycheck is a direct deposit to my bank. I pay everything on time and keep my spending at 10% the most on both cards. My FICO Score is 789.

**N-400** 06-27-2018 : N-400 online & NOA1 || 07-07-18 : received Bio Appt e-mail notification || 07-27-18 : Biometrics reviewed || 09-25-18 : OFFICIAL 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY || 11-06-18 : Interview 

|| 12-18-2018 : APPROVED; in line to be scheduled for Oathtaking || 02-11-19 : OATHTAKING CEREMONY --

**ROC** (pending)  07-26-2017 : I-751 sent || 07-31-2017 : NOA1 || 09-05-2017 : Biometrics || 08-09-2018 : Case transferred to local office || 12-18-2018 : Card in production || 12-26-18 : received GC --

**AOS/EAD/AP** 02-20-2015 : AOS filed || 02-24-2015 : NOA1 || 03-19-2015 : Biometrics || 04-30-2015 : EAD&AP approved || 05-05-2015 : EAD&AP received || 09-25-2015 : Conditional GC approved || 10-02-2015 : GC received --

**K-1** 08-12-2014 : I-129F Sent || 08-14-2014 : NOA1 || 09-03-2014 : NOA2 || 09-10-2014 : Petition transferred from USCIS to NVC || 09-18-2014 : NVC received || 09-24-2014 : US Embassy MNL received our case || 10-14-2014 : Medical Exam done! || 10-23-2014 : Interview || 10-31-2014 : Passport & Visa on hand --

Timeline
2 hours ago, gypsyqueen said:

It probably helped that my paycheck is a direct deposit to my bank.

How else would they do it ... still by cheque ?

Timeline
6 hours ago, troika said:

Old topic, I know, but I am in this boat at the moment. Have had UK AMEX for about 2 years now with quite a decent credit limit. I wish to get a US AMEX when I move over to the US under a K-1 visa, but my question is, do they require employment details in order to get the US AMEX ? Obviously on a K-1, I am unable to work for a good few months until I get my EAD at least ?

In short, yes, but the fact you already have an AMEX will help you get approved.

Once you have 2-3 paychecks, you should be good to go.

Timeline
Just now, SimonAndKimberly said:

In short, yes, but the fact you already have an AMEX will help you get approved.

Once you have 2-3 paychecks, you should be good to go.

Ah ok thanks, damn, so can't get it before my EAD :wacko:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.