I AM NOT THAT GUY

US Military Forces Return to Philippines In 10-Year Deal

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
KUALA LUMPUR – The U.S. has reached an agreement with the Philippines for an expanded American military presence, more than 20 years after forces stationed at bases there were pushed out.

Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes announced the 10-year deal – an Enhanced Defense Cooperation agreement — in a briefing with reporters today. He said the arrangement serves the national interest and underscores a “historic commitment to the Pacific.”

When it is signed ahead of President Obama’s arrival in Manila on Monday, it will broaden U.S. access to bases in the Philippines on a rotational, temporary basis, officials said. The deal will allow the Pentagon to move fighter jets and ships in the area, making the U.S. a more present and capable partner in the region.

The officials would not specify the exact numbers of troops or where or when they will arrive in the Philippines, saying those details are still under discussion.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/04/us-military-forces-return-to-philippines-in-10-year-deal/

And, so it begins: The start of another failed US military campaign.

It just means that the USA has a permanent aircraft carrier in the area, with assets that can go toe-to-toe with the best in the area, rather than relying on the flawed assets of the USN.

For that to happen, the Aquino's would have to move out of the Presidential bunkers at Clark AFB and close down the duty-free mall for balikbayans. Subic, on the other hand, would be an easier do.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

For that to happen, the Aquino's would have to move out of the Presidential bunkers at Clark AFB and close down the duty-free mall for balikbayans. Subic, on the other hand, would be an easier do.

The article refers to air assets and that would be a "must have", if the US were to station any significant assets there. Besides, the USN might disagree, but their Bugs (F/A-18C/Ds) and Rhinos (F/A-18E/Fs) are outmatched by the PLAAF J-11s (Su-27 Flankers).

With the current sabre-rattling by China, this agreement reassures Manila and sends a message of deterrence to Beijing. All we need to do is make sure that deterrence is credible.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

And, so it begins: The start of another failed US military campaign.

I will save all the Oboma zombies some time..

Reagan did it to,so therefore we don't hold Barry accountable

I just did a map recon of both sites, and it looks like Clark may actually be the better location to put air assets. And Angeles is so close, what could possibly go wrong?

And in other news Church and Dwight, makers of Trojan brand condoms, has recently announced plans for a new distribution center in the Philippines.

They kicked us out before so why even consider going back. We should be bringing our forces scattered all over the world back home.

I agree. Time to stop these unnecessary expeditions overseas. The cost, man, the cost! Those are my social security dollars they are spending!

Timeline

We just don't need to be the police in Asia. And no it just means more deficit spending so Obama can be a hero or so he thinks.

I agree. Time to stop these unnecessary expeditions overseas. The cost, man, the cost! Those are my social security dollars they are spending!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

We just don't need to be the police in Asia. And no it just means more deficit spending so Obama can be a hero or so he thinks.

A deployment like this can only be considered a success if it is not used in anger. :no:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

As a nation we have vital interest in this part of the world. No surprises here. This was outlined before the election by the President to increase our presence in SE Asia. If we do not exert our influence now then we are handing it to China. Furthermore Philippines has had a longtime partnership with the U.S. and if they welcome us back then we should be grateful for that considering we would be their guests just like any of our foreign bases around the world.

Timeline

Actually this made me laugh. Thanks. :)

A deployment like this can only be considered a success if it is not used in anger. :no:

Congress is supposed to approve these things. I bet they do it as the corruption should be historic from something like this.

Yes. We are not angry. We are just, "strutting our stuff."

Strut_your_stuff_(2).jpg