CIrcle110

My wife was wrongly denied - what can I do?

84 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to turn.

We are here in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and they just denied my wife her residency and cancelled her tourist visa so she can no longer enter the US.

They denied her for financial reasons. The jerk only looked at my 2013 taxes and that year I earned plenty enough for life in Mexico (where we lived until late last year), but it was just below the 125% of the US poverty level, which they require. I wasn't at all worried about my 2012 income because I now have a job earning over $50,000 per year. Plus, you can qualify simply by showing assets and I have several times the amount of assets required to qualify but the jerk refused to even look at my assets. I have $250,000 in just one investment account alone. Insane

I went back to talk to them and they basically said, "too bad, the decision has been made".
I told them that the decision was wrong but they wouldn't even look at my paperwork. I made too little in 2012 and that's all that matters - not what I make now, nor what I have in assets.

I had recent paycheck stubs and even an employment letter from my employer but he refused to look at any of it.
I rechecked the State Department website and it is very specific as to what assets are accepted and what quantity is required and I am so far beyond it it's ridiculous.

I have to go back to the US for my job and they cancelled my wife's tourist visa so she can't go with me now.

What can we do??? This is plain stupid.

Thanks for any help.

Michael and Miriam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Did they give her a form or checklist? What was written on it?

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Can you find a joint sponsor? Usually when the petitioner is below 125% FPG, they just ask the petitioner to find a joint sponsor that income qualifies.

5/21/2016: Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

5/23/2016: NOA1

7/29/2016: Biometrics Appointment

11/22/2016: I-751 Approved!

oprahbees.gif

>>>Did they give her a form or checklist? What was written on it?

Yes, they are asking for documents of solvency of a new sponsor.

It is basically a resubmission of the I-864 with a new sponsor added on to it and a contract signed by that sponsor.

I really don't want to ask any friends to put their finances on the line. Especially when it shouldn't be required.

Edited by CIrcle110

Can you find a joint sponsor? Usually when the petitioner is below 125% FPG, they just ask the petitioner to find a joint sponsor that income qualifies.

Maybe; I'm not sure.

I don't want to go that route if I can avoid it.

But the ridiculous thing is that I am way beyond 125% FPG and way over-qualify in assets as well.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

as to assets -

if that was a retirement account,

then you have to show a page of computations that shows the actual value

if the account was liquidated today,

showing penalties from the investment house

and

the irs penalties as well.

if it wasn't a retirement account, then I suggest that the Vice-Consul got it wrong.

Still, you gotta do what they say, if'n you want yer wife here

or

have a great intake at the Consulate with a Vice-Consul during 'American Citizens Service' appointment.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Did you just submit 2012 and 2013? I believe the NVC website asks for 3 years. I don't know why, because if you were making more in 2011 than 2013, that doesn't really help now (in the eyes of the person reviewing the forms, I'm assuming).

Anyway, can you get a letter from your new employer verifying your income? I would re-submit the last 3 years along with the employment letter and see if that's enough. If not, then you'll need to get a joint sponsor.

5/21/2016: Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

5/23/2016: NOA1

7/29/2016: Biometrics Appointment

11/22/2016: I-751 Approved!

oprahbees.gif

as to assets -

if that was a retirement account,

then you have to show a page of computations that shows the actual value

if the account was liquidated today,

showing penalties from the investment house

and

the irs penalties as well.

if it wasn't a retirement account, then I suggest that the Vice-Consul got it wrong.

Still, you gotta do what they say, if'n you want yer wife here

or

have a great intake at the Consulate with a Vice-Consul during 'American Citizens Service' appointment.

It was not a retirement account. It was just a regular investment account so, yup, the Vice-Consul got it wrong.

What is this 'American Citizens Service' appointment?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Are you sure that embassy takes assets. Not all do. It's to the discretion of the CO.

I know many embassies do look at past and current but for them to look at 2 years ago negate 2013 and current is weird.

You need to beat the doors down of the embassy and talk to Vice Consulate like Darnell stated.

Time to pull out the American Citizen card. They have to allow you in the embassy when you request it. If need be just say "US citizen in distress." they will get you in ASAP.

Really sorry.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Did you just submit 2012 and 2013? I believe the NVC website asks for 3 years. I don't know why, because if you were making more in 2011 than 2013, that doesn't really help now (in the eyes of the person reviewing the forms, I'm assuming).

Anyway, can you get a letter from your new employer verifying your income? I would re-submit the last 3 years along with the employment letter and see if that's enough. If not, then you'll need to get a joint sponsor.

Yup, I submitted a letter from my employer plus paycheck stubs. He refused to even look at it.

I lived in Mexico for the last 5 years, so my income was in the high teens all of those years. I only started the new job in the US in January since we are moved there. (She has been there with me on her tourist visa in the meantime).

I haven't filed 2014 taxes yet because I wanted to do a married filing jointly this year. I already got an extension to await my wife's SS#.

I may have no recourse but to find a joint sponsor. I just didn't want to ask anyone to do that.

By the way, thank you all so much for the quick replies. We really appreciate it at this unexpectedly stressful time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yup, I submitted a letter from my employer plus paycheck stubs. He refused to even look at it.

I lived in Mexico for the last 5 years, so my income was in the high teens all of those years. I only started the new job in the US in January since we are moved there. (She has been there with me on her tourist visa in the meantime).

I haven't filed 2014 taxes yet because I wanted to do a married filing jointly this year. I already got an extension to await my wife's SS#.

I may have no recourse but to find a joint sponsor. I just didn't want to ask anyone to do that.

By the way, thank you all so much for the quick replies. We really appreciate it at this unexpectedly stressful time.

So the 2013, 2012 and 2011 income wasn't US based income? And the new job of just 3 months is in US?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

So the 2013, 2012 and 2011 income wasn't US based income? And the new job of just 3 months is in US?

Yes, all income including the new job in the US is US income.

The 2013,2012 and 2011 income was low - in the high teens. I was living in Mexico during those years and would go back to the US 2-3 times a year to do projects for my clients and earned enough, combined with the interest on my investments, to live comfortably in Mexico. I was made a "too good to turn down" job offer (that $50k per year is for only working less than half time) so we decided to move to the US. I never expected these problems.

Update:

I just went back to the consulate and they told me to return in the morning - because it's too late today - and basically "pull the American card", as dwheels76 said, and insist that I speak with an official.

They also told me how to lodge an official protest in Washington but I fear that that would take longer than trying to find someone to be a joint sponsor.

I'm just not comfortable with asking a friend to do something like that.

Update:

I just went back to the consulate and they told me to return in the morning - because it's too late today - and basically "pull the American card", as dwheels76 said, and insist that I speak with an official.

They also told me how to lodge an official protest in Washington but I fear that that would take longer than trying to find someone to be a joint sponsor.

I'm just not comfortable with asking a friend to do something like that.

I understand you might not be comfortable but you did say that you have enough money to support her so just think of it (or try to) as a formality ? Your friend would know that too I am sure....as crappy as the situation is, you know that this is not a matter of not having enough money and what not...they are just being a pain about it so let them have what they want and move on, start your happily every after :)

good luck !

GC received on the 28th of February, 2014 - no interview, no additional RFE's

Divorced as of September, 2014

NOA1 for ROC 14 October, 2014

Life goes on, my ex-husband is a moron.

I understand you might not be comfortable but you did say that you have enough money to support her so just think of it (or try to) as a formality ? Your friend would know that too I am sure....as crappy as the situation is, you know that this is not a matter of not having enough money and what not...they are just being a pain about it so let them have what they want and move on, start your happily every after :)

good luck !

Thanks JTB, I get what you are saying.

It's just all rather bizarre. We've been married for 5 years so it's not like I'm taking her there to start our life together; we are moving because I got offered an excellent job that was financially enticing enough to bring me out of "retirement". Ironic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What did you show to substantiate your current income?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.