w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

South Dakota Governor Signs Abortion Ban Into Law

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Matt, you might want to find the previous thread about this law.... Hunt back a few pages, I'm sure you'll find it.

It's pretty explicit in terms of the views of a lot of people (me included!), and might give you an idea of who you're dealing with here on VJ!!

:)

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Timeline
Well, I know a rape victim who gave birth, gave her child up for adoption and the family that adopted him loves him very much. He is now 2 years old. His natural mother does not regret her decision.

Nice that she had a choice and was able and allowed to make the one that's right for her. Doesn't mean or prove that it would be the right choice for everyone. Yet that is precisely what that bill is saying. It's just not a one size fits all situation. :no:

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Well, I know a rape victim who gave birth, gave her child up for adoption and the family that adopted him loves him very much. He is now 2 years old. His natural mother does not regret her decision.

Nice that she had a choice and was able and allowed to make the one that's right for her. Doesn't mean or prove that it would be the right choice for everyone. Yet that is precisely what that bill is saying. It's just not a one size fits all situation. :no:

:thumbs: 100% agreed! :yes:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

yes abolish abortion then we can find more children in the dumpsters i think they should also pass stricter laws and punishments for the people who have the babies then throw them in the dumpsters. so which is really murder????

March 31 2004 spent 2 weeks with my love and her family

NOA1 July 16 2004

NOA2 Email notification Sept 2 2004

NOA2 approval letter Sept 15 2004

called NVC sept 16th told by operator fowarded to Manila

NVC forwarded to Manila on Sept 15 2004

NVC Hard copy received Sept 20 2004

called Manila embassy 10-13-2004 interview dec 3 2004

never received packet from embassy

Dec 3rd Visa approved and picked up

Dec 18th Married in Las Vegas Nv

AOS and EAD received in Chicago March 5 2005

NOA AOS and EAD received 3-28-05 dated 03-25-2005

Fingerrprint appointment 03-30-2005

EAD approval by email 4-19-2005

EAD card received 4-25-2005

Interview cancelled 9-6-2005 no interview ever scheduled

Applicattion transfered to somewhere 9-8-2005

9-14-2005 same message about transfer

9-24-2005 same message about transfer again

10-26-2005 approved without interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

All I have to say.

yes abolish abortion then we can find more children in the dumpsters i think they should also pass stricter laws and punishments for the people who have the babies then throw them in the dumpsters. so which is really murder????

Where the hell do they end up after an abortion hmmmmmm? Maybe the dumpster in little pieces! YAY so much better dont you think!

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

All I have to say.

I know of a rape victim who couldn't get the abortion she wanted, used a coat hanger and died from an infection.

All I have to say.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

A travesty

How is this a travesty? Was anything underhand done in the passing of this law? You seem to be all for democracy on other topics, but if something doesn't go your way it's a travesty. Elected reprsentatives voted on the bill and a elected governor signed it. That's the way things are supposed to work. If the people of SD don't like the law, then elect people that will overturn the law.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

A travesty

How is this a travesty? Was anything underhand done in the passing of this law? You seem to be all for democracy on other topics, but if something doesn't go your way it's a travesty. Elected reprsentatives voted on the bill and a elected governor signed it. That's the way things are supposed to work. If the people of SD don't like the law, then elect people that will overturn the law.

it won't be up to the people of south dakota. it will become a supreme court case.

And try to remember that ELECTED officials were the ones that started prohibition and then had to repeal it when it shot the country to hell. They don't always pass laws that the people want. Elected officials aren't superheroes that read the minds of the people of the state or the country.

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

The real question is whether rights are ever subject to majority rule.

I suspect that most are not.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
it won't be up to the people of south dakota. it will become a supreme court case.

Actually I was reading in the paper today that the pro-life movement is beginning to think they're going too fast. Also saw something on the news last night saying that the Supremes don't like this sort of case. The SCOTUS sees cases that arise naturally, after they've gone through the entire system, since they're the final court in the country. This law as written is blatantly unconstitutional and they may not even hear it.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's a forced issue. There's been no progression and no reason for reasoned debate. There's no "human interest"; real-life cases in So. Dak. right now. If the law is blatantly unconstitutional (and I don't know that it is - I'll leave that to wiser people than I) then it should be thrown out.

And that will be the Coathanger Lobby's fault for being too damn greedy.

Edited by clmarsh

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Everyone needs to chill. The attitude that only the liberal point of view is welcome here is very wrong. People need to respect other opinions and not get so hostile. One side wants to cry about women killing themselves with coat hangers while the other wants to cry about ehe unborn babies being murdered. Both viewpoints have a right to be heard without malice or anger or name calling or anything else.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A travesty

I have my own opinions on this issue quite apart from those expressed by the reactionary "you're either with it or against it" factions that these debates tend to dredge up.

Personally I don't oppose the right for a woman to have an abortion, but I can honestly say I don't think too much about it either. As was said in an earlier thread about this - the debate over the morality of abortion was (largely) settled a long time ago in Europe, which is why you don't get this bizarre polarisation of opinion that we see in the US. There's a broad concensus of opinion that abortion, while distasteful, provides a necessary social function and recognises an individuals right to control biological changes in their own body.

Yes as you say, I'm all for democracy, but its not an end unto itself. Voters can approve laws that trample all over their own self interests (I mean you voted for Bush). Yes its democracy, but the opinion of the majority can still be wrong.