Nich-Nick

London K1. A complete guide. (Do Not Post Questions in Thread)

40 posts in this topic

I called the 0700 number this morning and spoke with someone at NVC and was told that they couldn't tell me the interview date and we would have to wait for London to contact my fiance.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/8/2014 at 9:30 AM, Nich-Nick said:

Wheatley and Nich-Nick have collaborated on this new guide. Because the mods want pinned threads to be for information only, please don't post your individual questions in this thread. Read it carefully and if you don't understand something or have a unique issue then start a new thread with your question. Keep this thread clear of your progress, fears, joys, and frustrations. If anything changes in London, we will add information. The basic guide, once posted, can not be edited by either of us, so read to the end in case there are corrections

Pre-NOA2 Preparation

US Petitioner

1. Order your IRS Tax Transcript - Tax transcripts are an excellent source of evidence for your I-134 Affidavit of Support. They're certified by the IRS. You only need the most recent one.
  2. Start getting the I-134 ready with the supporting documents [e.g. proof of income].London will accept any proof on an I-134 that clearly shows income. Some ways besides a tax return/transcript are employer letter, pay stubs, pension letter, or banks statements showing direct deposits. Pick two. You don’t need to prove income five different ways. If you have a new job or earn more income since your tax return, then an employer letter and recent pay stubs are a better choice than a weak tax return. This one has to be sent the old-fashioned way with a “wet” signature on it. Copies of the form aren't accepted, but your proof of income can be scans or photocopies.
  3. London does not typically want to see relationship evidence. In the majority of cases they haven't asked for it. If it gives you peace of mind, get some photos printed but don't panic over it at all. Nor do they want to see your NOA2 or a photocopy of the I-129F packet– what do you think they have in front of them?

UK Beneficiary

1. Go get your photos done. You're going to need 2x UK size and 1x US size. The two UK size photos are for your Medical and for your Police Certificate. Your US size one is for the Embassy – no longer do you need 2 of them, only one as they scan them in digitally. US size photos can be done at most photo booths at a cost of around £7 for 4 photos.
  2. Go to your NHS doctor and get the immunizations you will need for Adjustment of Status. You can get a K1 visa without having any shots, but you will need them before AOS. It’s extremely wise to take care of it before getting to the US so you can avoid civil surgeon hassles and $$$. Many NHS doctors will do them for free, but they are not obligated to do so for immigration purposes. Get the shots documented by your doctor to take to your visa medical exam. If your doctor should say you don’t need something on this list, remember you have to go by US rules and that differs from UK standards. Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:
    • Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted for AOS also. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
    • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella. It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
    • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK . A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. They take your word for it at the visa medical exam.
    • Influenza – Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31. This was a new recommendation dated November 2010 for all ages over 6 months. Older lists will say flu shots for over age 50. It changed. The list on the London embassy website is out of date since 2009. Don’t follow it.
  3. Get all your documents together. Here is a link to London’s list of required documents. Be sure to click any links that say “please follow this link for more information” or you may miss details particular to you. Below are some links on how to get these documents or replacements of them:
    Police Certificate
    Birth, Marriage and Divorce Certificates
    Military Records
  4. Finally, make sure your passport is in order – You need to make sure you have at least 8 months until the expiry date on it, preferably more. If you've damaged it or gotten it wet, or the edges are wrinkled, it will need to be renewed. London is fussy about that.

To confirm, does the BENEFICIARY have to get the shots there or are you saying it will be cheaper? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, ToniAnn said:

To confirm, does the BENEFICIARY have to get the shots there or are you saying it will be cheaper? 

Get your shots anywhere you wish. NHS may do them free. Can go to a travel clinic, Boots, Sainsbury's. Just get documentation of the shot, your name, date.

This guide is old and links are broken, procedure changed, but the shot info is still accurate.  

35 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Get your shots anywhere you wish. NHS may do them free. Can go to a travel clinic, Boots, Sainsbury's. Just get documentation of the shot, your name, date.

This guide is old and links are broken, procedure changed, but the shot info is still accurate.  

Okay, I thought they would need those before AOS, and so they could get them here in the U.S. I did not think they needed to get them before the K1 interview.  Thanks for the information :)

Timeline
6 minutes ago, ToniAnn said:

Okay, I thought they would need those before AOS, and so they could get them here in the U.S. I did not think they needed to get them before the K1 interview.  Thanks for the information :)

That is correct but you would pay for a civil surgeon in the US to fill out a new official form. Some won't do that without doing the full exam again and TB skin test. You could spend $250 in the US if you wait. If everything gets on the official form at Knightsbridge, you likely can use that for your AOS. Many do. Some people get bad interviewers for AOS who don't know the rules. It varies a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

That is correct but you would pay for a civil surgeon in the US to fill out a new official form. Some won't do that without doing the full exam again and TB skin test. You could spend $250 in the US if you wait. If everything gets on the official form at Knightsbridge, you likely can use that for your AOS. Many do. Some people get bad interviewers for AOS who don't know the rules. It varies a lot. 

Ahh now I get it. Thank you

Timeline
31 minutes ago, ToniAnn said:

Ahh now I get it. Thank you

And the ladies at Knightsbridge don't get it. They will tell K1s to just go get their missing shots at the GP after their exam and use that for AOS. Nope. The USCIS does not accept anything from your GP. A designated civil surgeon has to sign off (or Knightsbridge clinic).  All must be on an official government form.

On 5/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, Wuozopo said:

Thank you.. I am just asking for my beneficiary :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Update for this really useful thread. Booked today and the price goes up from June 1st to £330

this taken from my confirmation 

PLEASE NOTE FROM THE FIRST OF JUNE  2018 PRICES WILL INCREASE- the updated price list can be found at http://www.visamedicals.co.uk/us-price.htm

If the best things in life are free, why is a long distance relationship so expensive!?

3rd July 2017 - NOA1
14th February - RFE
24th April 2018 - NOA2
11th May 2018 - NVC received
xx/xx/xxxx - NVC Case Number # received
xx/xx/xxxx - Medical
xx/xx/xxxx - Interview 
xx/xx/xxxx - POE
xx/xx/xxxx - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.