TBoneTX

French/American Couples - Part III - 2014

1,536 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
7 hours ago, BlueCinderella said:

I'm hoping that someone here can help me go through the process as smoothly as possible. I received an NOA2 with a date of September 19th in the mail yesterday. I was told by some people here I could call the NVC this week to try to retrieve a case number. Apparently for some countries its possible to begin filling out the DS-160, scheduling the doctors appointment, and interview once the case # is received (before receiving information from the embassy). But I'm not sure if this would be okay to do with the French Embassy. Could someone advise me who has already gone through this part of the process so I can know how to proceed? I apologize for being completely lost!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Congrats !

I had my interview last week in Paris. Our NOA2 is August 14th and we received it by mail on August 25th (Friday). We called NVC the following Tuesday and the women on the phone said that NVC received our case on the 25th, and she gave me our case number (NB: call right when it opens, otherwise you will have to wait on the phone for a long time before you can speak with someone). The case tracker then said that our case left the NVC on the 30th and was received at the embassy on the 5th. From there I booked the medical, appointment as you just need the NVC case number. And the envelope that the doctor gives you is good for 6 months. So even if you don't have you interview date yet, you can do it. On the 8th my fiance (US petitioner) received an email from the US embassy in Pars saying that our case was ready for interview at the embassy. From there I filled out DS-160, created an online account on the interview appointment website, paid the fees and booked an interview for Sep 20th.

When booking the interview, make sure that you will have enough time to receive the documents from the US petitioner, because you will have to bring everything with you to the embassy, and depending on how much he/she pays to mail you the documents, it can take up to 10 days to receive the docs from him/her. For us, sending everything in 3 days was $60, so we sent with 7-10 days for $6. So you have to take that time into account when booking the interview.

When I booked, they had slots available every other Wednesday morning. The earliest appointment available was two weeks from the date I booked.

You can find all the information on their website : list of documents to prepare, link to online booking system, contact information and instruction for medical visit, lab tests, etc..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Olivia2804 said:

Hi,

Congrats !

I had my interview last week in Paris. Our NOA2 is August 14th and we received it by mail on August 25th (Friday). We called NVC the following Tuesday and the women on the phone said that NVC received our case on the 25th, and she gave me our case number (NB: call right when it opens, otherwise you will have to wait on the phone for a long time before you can speak with someone). The case tracker then said that our case left the NVC on the 30th and was received at the embassy on the 5th. From there I booked the medical, appointment as you just need the NVC case number. And the envelope that the doctor gives you is good for 6 months. So even if you don't have you interview date yet, you can do it. On the 8th my fiance (US petitioner) received an email from the US embassy in Pars saying that our case was ready for interview at the embassy. From there I filled out DS-160, created an online account on the interview appointment website, paid the fees and booked an interview for Sep 20th.

When booking the interview, make sure that you will have enough time to receive the documents from the US petitioner, because you will have to bring everything with you to the embassy, and depending on how much he/she pays to mail you the documents, it can take up to 10 days to receive the docs from him/her. For us, sending everything in 3 days was $60, so we sent with 7-10 days for $6. So you have to take that time into account when booking the interview.

When I booked, they had slots available every other Wednesday morning. The earliest appointment available was two weeks from the date I booked.

You can find all the information on their website : list of documents to prepare, link to online booking system, contact information and instruction for medical visit, lab tests, etc..

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! Was the interview pretty consistant with the reviews posted here?

Timeline
1 hour ago, BlueCinderella said:

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! Was the interview pretty consistant with the reviews posted here?

Yes, you go to a first counter were an agent takes your documents/pictures and fingerprints, then you go to another counter were you have the actual interview. I had to swear to tell the truth, then the agent asked me 3-4 basic questions. In total I spent no more than 30 minutes at the embassy.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Je ne sais pas si c'est le bon endroit mais je lance une bouteille a la mer.

Quelles demarches avaient vous faites en france avant le depart?

Je me suis mariée l'année derniere et jje suis parti de france la fleur au fusil, la banque , les impots hop a la trappe je suis en mode conte de fée princesse :)

Voici venu le temps de nos cheres declarations d'impots, et en al faisant un peu vite avant le café machinalement ben j'ai rien changé. Je pense pas qu'il n'y ai de drame outre mesure.

Cependant aux niveaux des impots chez nous en france faut-il déclarer ce mariage? j'ai deja fait la transcription. Je n'ai pas encore de GC du coup suis-je résidents francaise ou US? pour les histoires de banques et domicile fiscal.

Je pensais juste attendre de recevoir ma GC et d'informer tout ce petit monde que officiellement a la date de ma GC je suis  permanent resident, c'est mm marqué noir sur blanc sur l'Ead card 'this is not proof of permanent resident" . j'ai l'impression d'etre dans un statut, résident mais pas trop.Qu'en pensez vous? Comment avez vous fait?

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Bonjour fosu,

J'aurais voulu répondre à votre question bien plus tôt, je m'excuse de réagir aussi tard mais j'espère que cette réponse vous sera quand même utile. Pour faire simple car c'est un sujet complexe, la notion de "résident permanent" est différente selon que l'on parle d'un point de vue immigration ou fiscalité. Même si vous n'avez pas encore reçu votre Green Card, du point de vue de l'administration fiscale française (et américaine car cette question est régie par des conventions bilatérales), vous êtes non-résident français à partir du moment où vous vivez à l'étranger plus de 180 jours par an, sauf si vous remplissez des conditions très spécifiques : votre foyer est en France mais ça ne devrait pas être votre cas si votre conjoint vit aux Etats-Unis, vous percevez des revenus de source française après votre départ, le centre de vos intérets économiques reste en France...  Le site de l'administration fiscale a toute une rubrique dédiée aux personnes dans notre cas, les explications ne sont pas toujours des plus limpides mais je vous invite à le consulter pour mieux cerner votre situation et les démarches à accomplir : https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/non-resident-de-france-non-residents-france https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/international-particulier/je-pars-letranger  et https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/particulier/questions/je-pars-vivre-letranger-quelles-demarches-dois-je-accomplir-dois-je-cloturer

Pour résumer, pour votre première déclaration d'impôts après votre départ à l'étranger, vous n'êtes pas obligée de signaler votre mariage car il y a une période de répit d'un an pendant laquelle les couples mariés peuvent choisir de ne pas déclarer conjointement. Vous devez toutefois indiquer votre départ en cochant la case "déménagement au cours de l'année 2017" puis on vous demandera de choisir entre déménagement en France et déménagement à l'étranger. Vous devez également indiquer votre nouvelle adresse à l'étranger pour que l'administration fiscale puisse vous contacter. Puis vous devez déclarer vos revenus de source française perçus avant votre départ à l'étranger. Si vous avez perçu des revenus de source française après votre départ à l'étranger vous devez rajouter une déclaration (2042-NR) en cochant la case dans la liste des annexes disponibles. Je viens de remplir ma déclaration moi-même et apparemment il est possible de modifier une déclaration signée jusqu'au 22 mai, je vous conseille donc de ne pas tarder.

Pour l'année prochaine, je ne suis pas sûre d'avoir tout compris mais il me semble que si nous n'avons plus de revenus de source française nous ne serons plus obligés de remplir une déclaration. J'ai quand même communiqué mon RIB pour le prélèvement à la source car je ne pouvais pas signer et terminer ma déclaration sans cette étape mais je sais que je n'aurai pas de revenus français donc pas de prélèvement. Dans tous les cas, votre centre des impôts habituel transmettra après traitement de votre déclaration de cette année votre dossier au centre des impôts des non-résidents. Je vous suggère quand même de signaler votre changement d'adresse sur votre espace particulier (en plus de votre déclaration) pour qu'on puisse vous contacter si besoin et pour minimiser les risques de problème de communication entre services de l'administration fiscale.

En ce qui concerne les banques, pour ma part je n'ai informé personne, j'ai juste changé mon domicile pour l'adresse de mes parents avant mon départ pour les courriers importants (très rares) et les envois de chéquier si j'en recommande un un jour. Je ne sais pas quelle est la meilleure attitue à adopter mais j'ai cru comprendre que la transparence n'était pas toujours récompensée car les banques françaises n'aiment pas avoir des clients résidents aux Etats-Unis (résidents au sens immigration ou fiscal peu importe) à cause des obligations de déclaration auxquelles elles sont soumises par l'administration américaine (FBAR et autres). Pour ma part j'ai décidé de ne rien dire et de garder mon compte sans frais le plus longtemps possible, je ne veux pas passer sur une offre bancaire pour expats car je trouve les tarifs excessifs. Cela fait 10 mois maintenant que j'utilise ma carte bancaire française régulièrement aux Etats-Unis et pour l'instant ma banque ne s'est pas montrée suspicieuse donc pourvu que ça dure... Sachez en tout cas que si votre banque venait à vous radier parce que vous résidez aux Etats-Unis vous pouvez saisir la Banque de France qui obligera une banque à vous ouvrir un compte (vous n'aurez pas le choix de la banque malheureusement mais c'est mieux que rien). Je ne savais pas que c'était un droit garanti en France et j'ai éte contente de l'apprendre à une réunion d'informations sur la fiscalité à laquelle j'ai assistée à l'ambasse de France à Washington il y a quelques mois.

Bon courage à vous pour ces démarches et j'espère que votre Green Card arrivera vite !

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Bonjour,

Je possède la carte verte de 10 ans sous Visa K1 mais ma fille ne l'a toujours pas reçue. Elle est partie en Asie pour 4 mois et je me demande si elle va avoir des problèmes à son retour.

Je ne sais pas du tout comment chercher dans les méandres du site officiel et l'immigration et ses lois ont peut être changé.

Est-ce que les 6 mois sont toujours valables pour être considérés comme résident permanent?

Merci pour votre réponse.

NOA1 August 6 2012
NOA2 April 16 2013

NVC April 22 2013

Packet 3 received May 25th 2013

Interview July 11th 2013

I'm not a reference between packet 3 and 4. Some papers were missing so things were delayed.

Approved
See Timeline for update

RFE another child to add delays the case

Green Card received 18 July 2014 Almost a year! :(

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hello Everyone!    I am trying to anticipate when I can schedule appointment.   I know that with NVC case # that I can complete DS160, pay fees, etc.   Can I book interview (medical/embassy) prior to email of Packet 3 ( plan that it will arrive 10 days after case is received by embassy)?    Thanks everyone for your experience & advice. A+

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/20/2018 at 9:38 PM, Mike et Mara said:

Hello Everyone!    I am trying to anticipate when I can schedule appointment.   I know that with NVC case # that I can complete DS160, pay fees, etc.   Can I book interview (medical/embassy) prior to email of Packet 3 ( plan that it will arrive 10 days after case is received by embassy)?    Thanks everyone for your experience & advice. A+

Hello, 

Yes, you can schedule the interview yourself after filling the DS160. all i received from the embassy was an email thats all. 

• 08.07.2017 --->  I-485, I-765, I-131 Priority Mail

• 08.09.2017 --->  Package received

• 08.15.2017 --->  Received text messages and emails

• 08.15.2017 --->  Checks cashed

• 08.19.2017 --->  Received NOA1 all 3 hardcopies

• 08.25.2017 --->  Received biometrics letter

• 09.01.2017 --->  RFIE

• 09.07.2017 --->  Biometrics appointment

• 09.15.2017 --->  Received RFIE

• 10.05.2017 --->  Sent RFIE Response

• 10.07.2017 --->  USCIS Received RFIE Response

• 10.10.2017 --->  USCIS Status Update: Response to USCIS RFIE was received

• 03.19.2018 --->  Card in production *Day 221*

• 03.21.2018 --->  Card mailed out *Day 223*

• 03.23.2018 --->  Card in hand *Day 224*
• 10.26.2018 --->  Interview schedules *Day 442*

• 12.06.2018 --->  Interview Day

• 12.10.2018 --->  Needing new medical

• 01.03.2019 --->  Mailed new Medical

• 01.04.2019 ---> USCIS received medical

• 01.15.2019 --->  Card is in the mail *Day 523*

• 01.17.2019 --->  Card received *Day 525*

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ Have updated info, when the app doesn't update.

Timeline
3 hours ago, borodine01 said:

Hello, 

Yes, you can schedule the interview yourself after filling the DS160. all i received from the embassy was an email thats all. 

@borodine01 Thanks for your reply.  I actually scheduled after filing DS160 and when NVC sent file to embassy (prior to case being ready, the reservation system would not accept).   I have now both the appointment with embassy & the doctor!

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

I don't know if someone already asked this question (and got the reply). If so, I apologize in advance :)

I would like to know the requirements of US Embassy in Paris on how old following documents can be : 

- birth certificate (extrait d'acte de naissance) & police certificate (casier judiciaire). 

I am asking this because even if it simple and quickly to get it in France, I am also binational and I will have to get them from my country of birth and the process (through consulate) takes 2 to 3 months + time to translate them...so if I can anticipate...it will be better. 

No emergency, just started the process by sending I130 and waiting for NOA1...

Thank you in advance!

February 13 2015: Started dating (met in New Orleans)

February 13 2018: Married in New Orleans

March 29 2019: PD for 1-130 (Spouse) - Nebraska Service Center

May 20 2019 : PD for 129F (K3 spouse visa)

June 21 2019 : I129F denial

June 22 2019 : I130 APPROVAL (only 85 days after submission) 😀 

July 17 2019 : sent to NVC by NSC

September 03 2019 : received case number (72 days after approval - it was a long 10 weeks waiting time  😶)

September 06 2019 : payed fees 

September 11 2019 : uploaded documents (Financial & civil) + submit DS-260

October 17 2019 : documents reviewed by NVC - one document missing / others approved (first review after 35 days / 5 weeks)

October 21 2019 : missing document submitted (police certificate from another country I lived in - this country is requiring 2 different police certificates and I only had one...stupid mistake)

November 22 2019 Documentary Qualified email :D 

December 10 2019 Medical done 

December 16 2019 Interview Letter

January 22 2020 Interview - APPROVED 😍

January 28 2020 Visa on hand 

February 25th 2020 Travel day

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi,

You should find the answers you need on these pages:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/France.html

My understanding is that police certificate has to be less than a year old for your current country of residence but can be older for other countries you have resided in before.

"Important: Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than one year ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate."

Birth certificates don't expire, they cannot change. The french administration is weird in the sense that they often require a copy that is less than 3 month old but I haven't read anyhting like that for the visa.

Note that documents written in french do not need to be translated.

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations."

For our story, look at my profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hey,

Has anyone tried contacting the embassy in Paris before? It has been two weeks since my K1 interview and I haven't heard a peep from them yet. Tried calling but its all automated messages that are not helpful at all. Sent them a message through the website but I know that they'll probably give me a canned response.

K1 VISA

NOA 1: 19/03/18

NOA 2: 14/11/18

Timeline

@pp&mh

I had difficulty reaching them as well.   The best method for me was via their contact by email.   Each time I called, I only got their third party service for appointment scheduling - not super helpful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
9 hours ago, Mike et Mara said:

@pp&mh

I had difficulty reaching them as well.   The best method for me was via their contact by email.   Each time I called, I only got their third party service for appointment scheduling - not super helpful.

Yeah that's what I did as well... Thank you!

K1 VISA

NOA 1: 19/03/18

NOA 2: 14/11/18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.