Faycel and Renee

Is taking a persons passport a good thing?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Ok not sure where to post this topic but Im hearing mixed things and maybe someone can give me an idea.

We had our appointment with the embassy and my fiance answered all the questions without batting an eye. The CO took his passport but has place us in AP because they want to see the previous petition I did.

The first petition was done in 09 and it was a I-130. I ended up divorcing and now filed a K1 petition.

I have submitted the documents that they requested and will wait 30 days before contacting them to see what is the status (CEAC site still says its in AP).

Any thoughts, experience or suggestions from others that had their passports taken or have been in a similar situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Waivers and Administrative Processes - topic is about being placed in AP ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I hope I'm getting this right. You were given a 221g at the interview and they requested for a certified true copy of your divorce decree?

Timeline

No, they wanted to see a copy of my previous petition for my ex husband (which I filed a I-130), his SSN and his passports.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Did you contact the service center to withdrawal your previous petition?,....that's what i had to do even with no visa being given to the previous person.......i didn't realize that they look like two active petitions at the same time if you don't do that and get something from the service center stating it had been withdrawn.

my previous one was applied for in 2007 and noa2 2009 low and behold it was still considered active even given the fact it was sent back as expired petition.

sara

Timeline

My ex was given his green card 1 week after he got here because at the time of his interview we had been married 2+ years already. He arrived in the states in 2011 and 2 months after he arrived I saw that the relationship was not the same and I filed for divorce.

Timeline

Let me throw this out - my ex was given his 10 year green card when he arrived because we were married 2+ years he was no longer considered a CR1 but a IR1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

they put your fiancè in ap because u was filed before to someone but belive me they give him the visa because they will make contact to usa even they see if you was married with your ex about fraude marriage

Timeline

to algerinou,

Yes I did file on behalf of my now ex husband (he was a lawyer in his country) and now here I am filing again on behalf of my fiance. Sure that will raise some questions and concerns and it should. I understand why its in AP. I work in law and I even have some homeland security/ICE agents as clients. I'm ok with them taking the extra step on reviewing my case. I have nothing to hide. When I got in law I took an oath to report any wrongdoing and/or crimes.

I see the red flags and am aware of what they are thinking, but all I can say is bring it on. There is no fraudulent activity in my petitioning my fiance and I will fight to the bitter end on getting him home. I do hope that they grant his his visa cause I refuse to go thru any more then I should.

I have heard that if they take his passport its a good thing, but is it?

Inshallah I hope to hear good things soon.

Timeline

@ sara

you know I didnt think about that but I dont know if my case is still active but I will check that out now. Thanks !

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The US Embassy taking the beneficiary's passport is a GOOD thing.

Being put in AP is the most stressful part because it can take days, weeks or months before they can finish it. There's no specific timeframe because its a case-to-case basis.

Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have to agree with apple21. If the US embassy took his passport, that is a good sign for you! Hopefully the AP wont last too long after they get the papers! Good Luck!! star_smile.gif

Story of Us: NVC:
November 5, 2011 we met online March 5, 2014 Nvc received case
November 9, 2011 became a couple April 7, 2014 Receive I 864bill/pay I864 bill Complete DS261 online
February 6, 2012 met in person in Morocco April 9, 2014 Receive/pay IV bill
June 22, 2012 second trip to Morocco April 14, 2014 Complete DS260 online
July 13, 2012 Wedding in Morocco May 8, 2014 Receive checklist from NVC in email
March 6, 2013 Third trip to Morocco May 8, 2014 Mail completed packet to NVC
November 4,2013 Fourth trip to Morocco <3 May 12, 2014 NVC receives packet (now we wait.)
USCIS: June 10, 2014 RFE checklist for I864. June 11 call to NVC.. fixed errors.
May 1, 2013 Mail packet to USCIS to start K3 June 12, 2014 Resend packet to NVC
May 3, 2013 UPS delivery confirmation June 16, 2014 NVC receives corrected papers. (now we wait...again.. )
May 6, 2013 Email Confirmation Case Accepted and routed to USCIS for processing July 10, 2014 Called NVC. due to backlog I have to wait until 8/1 to call
May 10,2013 Check Cashed by DHS July 28, 2014 Called NVC. I was told they still have not reviewed my case.
May 10, 2013 Form I-797c NOA received by mail August 1, 2014 Called NVC due to checklist. was told my black ink was "navy". have to
May 13, 2013 Mail packet to USCIS for I - 129f reprint, resign, resend, and wait 60 days now. in NVC hell!!
May 14, 2013 Confirmed delivery of Packet for I - 129f August 2, 2014 Resend papers to NVC overnight. Due at NVC on 8/4/2014
May 21, 2013 NOA1 for I - 129f text and email August 4, 2014 NVC signs/receives papers (now the long wait begins
May 25, 2013 Form I-797c NOA received by mail August 22,2014 Receive letter from NVC that hubbys email is undeliverable
May 31, 2013 Alien Registration Number changed August 22, 2014 Called NVC to verify information..all was correct?! Not sure why?
July 12, 2013 Case updated with change of address on uscis September 22, 2014 Called NVC to check on things. 2 more weeks of backlog left.
December 4, 2013 Text and email and updated uscis website: case moved to another office for processing When they verify my black ink signature, I should have CC!
December 6, 2013 Text and email and updated uscis website saying case moved to A uscis office September 29, 2014 CASE COMPLETE!!!!
December 10, 2013 Received Hard copy by mail that it was transferred to Nebraska.
January 28, 2014 Called USCIS for update. Told I have to wait 180 days from date of transfer to call about my case. EMBASSY in Casablanca Morocco:
February 16, 2014 Service Request per USCIS website. Was told I should have an answer by March 10 on my request. Medical: October 28, 2014
February 18, 2014 Text and email and updated uscis that alien registration number changed (again) Interview: November 7, 2014 (APPROVED!!)
February 19, 2014 Text and email and update uscis NOA2 for I 130 .. k3 is now a CR1 Visa in hand: November 13, 2014
February 19, 2014 Text email and update uscis Case is shipped to nvc!! POE: JFK November 21 2014 (home at last!)
February 22, 2014 NOA2 Hardcopy received by mail Green card in hand January 2, 2015
February 28, 2014 Follow up email responding to service request confirming case shipped to NVC on February 25, 2014 Social security card in hand January 9, 2015
Living happily ever after <3

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

@ sara

you know I didnt think about that but I dont know if my case is still active but I will check that out now. Thanks !

they kept his passport so that really is a good sign and most people from mena countries get AP.......just my opinion but because they are requesting to see the other petition it might slow down the AP some seems really stupid because even if it turns out there is two active petitions showing in the system you have your proof of previous marriage and divorce that clearly shows how it went......and endedsmile.png

Dont worry sister it will all turn out good in the end inshAllah

sara

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.