casualsurfer

My Congresswoman offered to help...should I take it?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Filipinos are getting processed quick because of a natural disaster. Its just humanitarian to process their cases quickly before they die in a flood. even with the help of your congressman, your application wont be processed in less than 5 months.

Be patient and Good luck.

Uh huh, and how about the people who died in Taiwan, Vietnam, and China due to the typhoon? Not as many people died or became homeless, but are any Filipinos on this board living in a tent right now dying in a flood? Why don't we open the flood gates every time there's a natural disaster in India, Pakistan, Mexico, etc.?

And have you had your Congressman help before to no avail? How do you know it won't be processed in less than 5 months? Do you work for USCIS? What is your basis for making that claim? I'd like to know if you have an inside line or prior knowledge of the inner workings of the USCIS, it would be great if you do because I'd like to learn something new.

CR-1 for my wife
USCIS Stage
11/19/2013: I-130 Sent
11/20/2013: I-130 Received
11/20/2013: I-130 NOA1
11/22/2013: I-130 NOA1 Hard copy
04/22/2014: I-130 Expedite Request
04/23/2014: I-130 Expedite Response: Denied
05/09/2014: I-130 Status Update "your Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I130" at 9:15am
05/09/2014: I-130 NOA2 (approved) at 3pm
05/14/2014: Case sent to NVC
NVC Stage
06/17/14: Case number and IIN assigned
06/17/14: AOS fee invoiced
06/17/14: Notice from NVC containing case number and IIN
06/17/14: DS-261 available and completed
06/18/14: AOS fee paid
06/19/14: AOS fee withdrawn from my bank account
06/20/14: AOS fee shows paid
06/20/14: AOS package sent to NVC
06/23/14: AOS package arrived at NVC
07/01/14: Sent expedite request to NVCExpedite@state.gov
07/17/14: Expedite request approved, file "immediately forwarded"
07/24/14: Received Expedite Request approval letter in mail
07/28/14: DS-260 available and completed
07/28/14: DS-2001 completed
07/28/14: Emailed AIT with both DS-260 confirmation and DS-2001
07/30/14: Interview scheduled
08/11/14: Schedule medical exam
08/19/14: Medical exam complete
08/21/14: Interview at AIT & approval
08/28/14: Received visa
09/21/14: POE

Its pointless,

There's nothing they can do, until your petition is outstanding longer than the USCIS guidelines and even then they didn't do anything for us, we waited 8 months for our NOA2, just accept it.

You said in your OP:

"I read on this forum a few times that people think it's not going to help at all, and in fact it may delay processing. Can anyone with actual experience getting help from their lawmakers on this matter chime in?"

Yes i am speaking from experience we did what you're trying to do and had our congressman try to help with no avail, and if the DMV guidelines and waiting times were 12 months then yes people would have to wait, however that's not the case so its apples and oranges! but i get the feeling that's not going to stop you from going ahead!!

Edited by fcat

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Posts violating the TOS removed along with those quoting. Posts minus the quote returned below. Administrative Action taken.

I'm not crying, nor am I just going to sit and accept "the process" as is. Would you accept the failure of healthcare.gov when they mandate that you have insurance or pay a fine but can't get their schiznit together during the rollout? Would you accept a processing time at DMV of a year before you can drive a car when you're perfectly able and qualified to do so?

I'm a tax paying American citizen who wouldn't take status quo for an answer. Maybe at the end of the day it'll be as many of you said "no difference", but at least I know I tried all available avenue to improve the timing. You can pray to your God while I write to my Congressman and go after each and every available legal avenue to improve the timing not just for me, but everyone else in my situation at the present and in the future.

1.) Edited to remove TOS violation

2.) Yes. If there were 500,000 people in front of me in line I would simply have to wait MY TURN.

3.) God, he can do much more for you right now than any congressman can.

4.) You're not gonna improve the timing for me or anyone else. You are gonna extend the timing because some schmuck senator is gonna write a useless letter that some employee at USCIS or NVC will have to take the time to stop and read, thereby even further slowing the process...get it?

GOD Bless you and Merry Christmas

Mele Kalikimaka

Don't worry, right now the congresspeople's liaison is only going to call and talk to a Tier 1. They're a contractor and don't actually handle any cases. Shouldn't slow down the process any more than it already is.

That being said, the USCIS could avoid the added job of having to respond to these inquiries if they were honest with the information they put out, or would give any kind of definite answer through their customer service people to begin with.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.