lostinblue

Black Student ‘Lynches’ Two White Guys, Calls It Art

51 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

there's a definate difference between this and protesting.

this student was attempting to voice an opinion through art. no one was hurt, people are talking about the topic she was attempting to invigorate so, seems like her art was successful. imo, this sort of 'art' is exactly what college is for..you may not like it, or get it, but it is this student's right to express herself. i don't care one way or the other..all i can think about is how tramatic this must have been for someone who's experienced the trauma of finding a loved one hanged but that's probably just my sick, overly empathetic nature.

I think what people will talk about here is the method used. In this sense she has failed to shine the light on what she really wanted to as a result of using too strong an imagery device.

Art is also a fine line. Would it be art if a white person did this with black people to call attention to the same issue? I think the point was to see the "human" part of this. How funny that decision of the color of the actors shows how little this had to do with humans and more to do with certain humans.

Edited by GandD

Art is also a fine line. Would it be art if a white person did this with black people to call attention to the same issue? I think the point was to see the "human" part of this. How funny that decision of the color of the actors shows how little this had to do with humans and more to do with certain humans.

the race of the artist and the race of the players in that art have nothing to do with the definition of art. and we don't have to guess at the intentions behind the peice, it's stated in the article

The senior responsible for the performance art, Christina Edwards, defended her project to Fox 40 News.

The purpose of this performance was to bring to light social injustices and the issue of inequality that impacts me and my community as a whole,” Edwards said.

Timeline

the race of the artist and the race of the players in that art have nothing to do with the definition of art. and we don't have to guess at the intentions behind the peice, it's stated in the article

I know. That's why I said the point was the human side according to the article. I don't buy that the race of the artist and actors don't have significance. And I don't buy that this is art per-say. It's a political statement. Even if it is art, artists make political statements all the time.

I know. That's why I said the point was the human side according to the article. I don't buy that the race of the artist and actors don't have significance. And I don't buy that this is art per-say. It's a political statement. Even if it is art, artists make political statements all the time.

race of the artist and actors don't have a bearing on the definition of 'art' is what i meant, what qualifies as art is not something everyone is ever going to agree on.

since there are no direct links to anything specifically political, i'd be more inclined to say it's societal statement.

Timeline

race of the artist and actors don't have a bearing on the definition of 'art' is what i meant, what qualifies as art is not something everyone is ever going to agree on.

since there are no direct links to anything specifically political, i'd be more inclined to say it's societal statement.

Societal statement is probably more accurate.