getcr1

I am freaking out! Help - urgent travel after oath!

32 posts in this topic

It's technically a federal crime for a US citizen to enter the US without presenting a valid US passport.

8 USC 1185 (b): http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1185

"Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport."

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

When we asked at uscis, We were told that he could use the naturalization certificate for identification and domestic travel... But to re enter the USA from abroad, he needed a passport, hence we did the same day passport option as he had a business trip 4 days after oath...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

It's technically a federal crime for a US citizen to enter the US without presenting a valid US passport.

8 USC 1185 (b): http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1185

"Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport."

maybe it's a federal crime but the boarder line officers cannot deny a US citizen entry to the US. Of course they will have to go through deep investigations to verify that the person is a US citizen. I still wouldn't take my chances to travel without a passport. Offices do give you a same day passport if you show them enough proof that you are traveling within 15 days, in this case it's sooner then that.

Granted, but committing crimes isn't exactly top of my to-do list, and I doubt many other people's lists, also.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I had the Oath ceremony on 12/09/13 and got my passport on 12/10/13 at the Miami passport agency, it took me a whole day, but got it , I'm traveling this friday and had to show proof of the itinerary

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Social security notice is the least of your issues. That quote above is just the requirement to let them know -- you don't have to do it in 12 minutes.

Hi all,

I don't know why I thought I would be able to travel with my Canadian passport after my oath ceremony. I even wrote that I would be traveling outside of the country over Christmas in my interview, and I got my oath ceremony appointment for tomorrow, 12/18. I don't leave until the 24th, and then when I was doing further research, I saw that I need a US passport to travel to a foreign country. This means, that I will need to get a passport between tomorrow, and the 24th which will probably be a holiday. On top of that, I am starting to see that one is supposed to notify (in person) to Social Security that there is a status change. Can I do this after i get my passport? i know this is crazy becuase I am due for my oath tomorrow morning at 8:30am but if anyone can help, please do!

Thanks,

Sincerely,

freaked out person!

How long are you leaving the US for? And where are you going? As long as you still have a valid Canadian passport, you won't have a problem leaving the US, but rather upon return.

You can enter Canada or a third country on your Canadian passport, since you'll still be a Canadian citizen. However, to re-enter the US, you will have a difficult time without a US passport. You cannot ultimately be denied entry into the US, but they can make you go through hell and back to prove that you're a US citizen. If you're staying out of the country for an extended period of time, you can get a US passport from the nearest embassy or consulate.

I had the Oath ceremony on 12/09/13 and got my passport on 12/10/13 at the Miami passport agency, it took me a whole day, but got it , I'm traveling this friday and had to show proof of the itinerary

You can also try to do this, though I don't know enough about expedited passports to give you any useful advice. Edited by Yang-Ja

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

where do you live there are several passport centers that offer same day passport its more expensive but you walk out with your passport in hand

Peace & Much Love

~ SouSou~

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Again, you need to show proof and you can get your passport expedited usually by the next day or even the same day. Inquire about this at the local post office or check online. You may even be able to do this at the oath ceremony as well, though that one will be a little packed. No need to rush the SSN, that one can easily wait until you return...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I thought I would update you. I had a very long oath ceremony (waiting for people that were late) but I did get my naturalization certificate. They made a specific announcement that since I am now a US citizen (yay) that you must travel with a US passport. you CANNOT travel with your other passport with a US naturalization certificate. i think there is a HUGE fine. like either hundreds or maybe even thousands of bucks. regardless, I could not risk it. I had my oath on a Wednesday, got all my docs together and found a great place that did expedited passports in 24 hours (look on yelp!) . I was still so nervous, but I got my passport today (Thursday). This CAN happen, but please oh please remember that you have to get your US passport after oath ceremony.

I also want to say that I did not use a lawyer once during this whole process. After 4 hard years of doing a TON of research on Visa Journey, I can say that I now am a naturalized citizen with my US passport. All I have to do now is go to social security to change my status.

Thank you everyone! and thank you Visa Journey. What an amazing site. Really!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know other's have asked this in other forums so maybe you could let us know how much the expedited passport cost and what documents you needed to show them to get it? I would assume a copy of your flight itinerary from the airline online (as many people now days no longer have paper tickets anymore), but what else did you need to qualify for the expedited passport? Or can anyone do that now?

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

if I'm not mistaken, you could enter the USA with your Naturalization Certificate

That is absolutelt false. The OP will need a valid U.S passport to come back if he plans on entering as a U.S citizen. A naturalization certificate won't cut it.

• 9 years later...
On 12/17/2013 at 10:50 PM, getcr1 said:

Hi all,

I don't know why I thought I would be able to travel with my Canadian passport after my oath ceremony. I even wrote that I would be traveling outside of the country over Christmas in my interview, and I got my oath ceremony appointment for tomorrow, 12/18. I don't leave until the 24th, and then when I was doing further research, I saw that I need a US passport to travel to a foreign country. This means, that I will need to get a passport between tomorrow, and the 24th which will probably be a holiday. On top of that, I am starting to see that one is supposed to notify (in person) to Social Security that there is a status change. Can I do this after i get my passport? i know this is crazy becuase I am due for my oath tomorrow morning at 8:30am but if anyone can help, please do!

Thanks,

Sincerely,

freaked out person!

I am almost in same situation now. How did it go for you? Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.