Eowyn_1

Confused about sponsorship

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey- I've been asking around about how much I need to make to be approved to sponsor my fiance before he applies for a job. All the answers I get are to study instructions and to look at a poverty chart thing which really only confuses me more.

Some informtion about me:

- I am the only one who works in my household. My grandfather has investments (he won't be a co-sponsor), but would those factor into my household income?

- I make almost 9 dollars an hour at my work, and I work anywhere from 14 hours a week to 35.

- There are 4 people total in my household

- I haven't worked a full calander year yet, so I don't have a good idea of yearly income.

Please don't post the whole poverty line chart unless you can explain it to me please. I'm really wanting to figure out if I can actually sponsor mu fiance by myself. I am not having success finding a sponsor at the moment, so I'd love some clearer answers.I'm looking to file the paperwork in January. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You would count in your household yourself, your fiance, and anyone you support...ie.. anyone you claim on your taxes. If someone else claims you on their taxes this complicates things a little. So when you file taxes next month how many people will you claim?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

only people who are dependent and on your taxes count towards household, the other people who live in the home don't. do you have children that depend on you? they would count. if it's only you and your fiancé, then the household is 2.

the affidavit is based on annual income filed on your taxes? how much did you make last year? Did your employer send you your W2's on what you made the year before last and what did you declare on 2012's taxes?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey- I've been asking around about how much I need to make to be approved to sponsor my fiance before he applies for a job. All the answers I get are to study instructions and to look at a poverty chart thing which really only confuses me more.

- I am the only one who works in my household. My grandfather has investments (he won't be a co-sponsor), but would those factor into my household income?

- I make almost 9 dollars an hour at my work, and I work anywhere from 14 hours a week to 35.

- I haven't worked a full calander year yet, so I don't have a good idea of yearly income.

Please don't post the whole poverty line chart unless you can explain it to me please. I'm really wanting to figure out if I can actually sponsor mu fiance by myself. I am not having success finding a sponsor at the moment, so I'd love some clearer answers.I'm looking to file the paperwork in January. Thanks!

Based on what you've posted, even at very best, (35 hours each and every week) you're barely squeezing by with the requirements for 2 people, let alone 4. Your best annual income at 35 hours each and every week would be $16,380.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Timeline

You would count in your household yourself, your fiance, and anyone you support...ie.. anyone you claim on your taxes. If someone else claims you on their taxes this complicates things a little. So when you file taxes next month how many people will you claim?

I'm actually glad that someone else has asked this same question, because last year a friend of mine lived with me. She didn't work and I basically took care of everything therefore with her permission I claimed her children as dependent on me (she had no one here). Since then she has returned to her country therefore I don't have any dependents anymore but they will obviously show on my tax return from last year. Question is how or what am I supposed to do about that? I'm not to this stage yet as matter of fact we're still at the NBC, but I'd like to get an in sight as too what would be the correct thing to do.

ob5fqt98.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

by the time your fiancé has his interview, you will have done this year's taxes, it will be long after March or April that he will have his interview, so you can present your 2013 taxes.

if you don't make enough, you should start looking for a joint sponsor. you still have time.

Filed: Timeline

OK to answer everyone- I do not claim anyone as a dependant on taxes. so it would just be me and my fiance. Avery- yeah, i thought I wouldn't make enough to just sponsor him myself. I DO however have a good amount in savings, and so does my fiance. How much do they factor savings in?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

How to count household size >

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ,

The income requirement is based on current annual income, not what you made last year and what shows on last year's taxes, unless you are self-employed. Your household member's income will not count for your affidavit. There is no combining of incomes with the I-134 for a K-1 visa. Your current income does not meet the income requirement, so you will need to find a co-sponsor or have enough in assets to make up for the shortcoming. Assets for a spouse/fiance(e) are usually counted at 3 times the income difference, though some consulates may require 5 times. There is no strict guideline for assets and the I-134, but in general, if you make $16k and need to make $19k, then you would need $9k - $15k in assets. Your foreign fiance's income/assets will not count, unless he has enough to self-sponsor and will interview in London. London is the only consulate I know of that for sure allows self-sponsorship.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

How to count household size >

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ,

The income requirement is based on current annual income, not what you made last year and what shows on last year's taxes, unless you are self-employed. Your household member's income will not count for your affidavit. There is no combining of incomes with the I-134 for a K-1 visa. Your current income does not meet the income requirement, so you will need to find a co-sponsor or have enough in assets to make up for the shortcoming. Assets for a spouse/fiance(e) are usually counted at 3 times the income difference, though some consulates may require 5 times. There is no strict guideline for assets and the I-134, but in general, if you make $16k and need to make $19k, then you would need $9k - $15k in assets. Your foreign fiance's income/assets will not count, unless he has enough to self-sponsor and will interview in London. London is the only consulate I know of that for sure allows self-sponsorship.

Ok so basically in my case it would be myself and my husband seeing as to how I'm not responsible for anyone? Even though I claimed my friends children in my last tax return but they no longer live with and I'm not financially responsible for them right?

ob5fqt98.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No unless he liquidates those into cash and deposits that into your account.

So if you're looking to bring only your ffiance over, then you new household size would be 5.

Using an average hours per week, your annual is about $11,500 which I believe is very much lower than the 125% poverty guidelines for a household of 5. It seems you really really need a cosponsor. I wouldn't submit any K-1 petition until you have this worked out.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Ok so basically in my case it would be myself and my husband seeing as to how I'm not responsible for anyone? Even though I claimed my friends children in my last tax return but they no longer live with and I'm not financially responsible for them right?

If they are listed as dependents on your most recent tax return, then they will count in the household size. If you file your 2013 taxes without them as dependents and use the 2013 return for the I-134, then they will not count in your household size. If you use the 2012 return with them listed as dependents as your most recent tax return, then yes, they will count >. "..any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return.."

So if you're looking to bring only your ffiance over, then you new household size would be 5.

The OP stated that they support and claim no one else that they live with, so they are not all counted in their household size. Their household size is only 2, herself and her fiance.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

If they are listed as dependents on your most recent tax return, then they will count in the household size. If you file your 2013 taxes without them as dependents and use the 2013 return for the I-134, then they will not count in your household size. If you use the 2012 return with them listed as dependents as your most recent tax return, then yes, they will count >. "..any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return.."

The OP stated that they support and claim no one else that they live with, so they are not all counted in their household size. Their household size is only 2, herself and her fiance.

Thanks Jay-Kay! That really helped on my confusion lol.....Now since it will be just us two I understand that I will have to atleast make around $22,000 is that correct also?

ob5fqt98.png

Thanks Jay-Kay! That really helped on my confusion lol.....Now since it will be just us two I understand that I will have to atleast make around $22,000 is that correct also?

According to current 2013 federal poverty guidelines for your household size, you only need to make $19,387.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Current poverty guidelines (2014 won't come out for a couple more months) > http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Timeline

According to current 2013 federal poverty guidelines for your household size, you only need to make $19,387.

Thanks for your answer Zedayn! That helped alot :) Good Luck on your journey!

Current poverty guidelines (2014 won't come out for a couple more months) > http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Do they usually change it every year? We were planning on getting my mother to be a co sponsor just in case.

ob5fqt98.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.