mota bhai

India-US diplomat row escalates

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

NDTV:

New Delhi\Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday expressed regret over the handling of the arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade in a phone call to India's National Security Advisor (NSA) Shivshankar Menon.

Ms Khobragade was handcuffed, strip-searched, swabbed for DNA, subjected to cavity search and then placed in a cell with drug addicts following her arrest last week in New York for alleged visa fraud.

"As a father of two daughters about the same age as Devyani Khobragade, the Secretary empathizes with the sensitivities we are hearing from India about the events that unfolded after Ms. Khobragade's arrest," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said after Secretary Kerry's conversation with Mr Menon.

Government sources have described the conversation as "positive".

Secretary Kerry underscored that point in his call, saying that "we not allow this unfortunate public issue to hurt our close and vital relationship with India." He also said that he believed it was important "that foreign diplomats serving in the United States are accorded respect and dignity, just as we expect our own diplomats should receive overseas."

Edited by mota bhai

Regret! She is lucky. Had she been a nobody she would have been handcuffed, slammed into the wall, sexually assaulted like that one lady who was assaulted while in custody, India don't know the half of what really could have happened to her.

Why is Kerry being a punk?

Its a joke. The same thing happens here.

I know, but hey, I gota say something to you since I haven't been on here in a while.

By the way, where is the other picture? I cant get used to seeing this picture yet.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I miss the beagle..

Why why why do we not have a stated policy when dealing with problems with officials from other countries.. .#1 though #10 should be a big poster saying DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO NOT EMBARRASS ANOTHER COUNTRY YOU IDIOTS! Keep that ####### on the down low and between countries and handle them with kit gloves.

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect